[Poll] How would you rate episode 505

Ran

How would you rate episode 505?  

558 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

6/10. The Bolton OC is enjoyable, Roose & Ramsay are still fascinating, Sansa's still hot, Jon's scenes continue to impress, and the looming fight with Stannis is intriguing, but not a lot else had me enraptured.

The effects were decent. The dragons looked great.

I loved the Bolton dinner scene and the dynamic between Jorah & Tyrion. The rest was less inspired IMHO. The idea of fusing Show Jorah (who always was quite different from book Jorah) with JonCon is interesting, I am curious where it leads.

Have you read the books? Roose is mildly amused by EVERYTHING. He let Ramsay go on and on and have his fun at the dinner table...and then you know how he got him back? Hey Walda, tell Ramsay the great news with that smirk on his face. A little taste of Ramsay's own medicine right there thrown right back at him simply because he was acting like a dick the entire time. Well Roose will play any game you wanna play.

Yes I have read the books and even if I were to agree with you about book Roose I don't feel they portrayed tv show Roose to have a sadistic sense of humor with the exception of the young wolf joke he shared with Walder Frey in season 3 but apart from that he has always come across on the show as a no nonsense Character I don't imagine Show Roose would care about Sansa and Reek being mentally tortured but he wouldn't allow Ramsay to hold court .Roose in the dinner scene in last nights episode seemed to be an inconvenient obstacle in the way of what the writers really wanted to do which was have another oh isn't Ramsay so bad ass the way he mentally tortures everyone scene. It had all been done already really when you think about how often joffrey tormented Sansa about the death of her relatives , did we need more of that?

As someone who thought the first four episodes were better than season 4 and still had a tiny bit of optimism going forward, this trainwreck proved me wrong LOL.

There was absolutely no logic to the vast majority of the episode. Sam and Aemon know about Daenerys and her dragons... But no one else at the Wall bothers reacting to it? Because no one thinks for a single minute how important it might be to try and win Daenerys to their side. It's just such clunky awful writing. They want to hit certain book plot-points - like Aemon finding out about Daenerys - but they do it in a way that defies logic. The note Sam read about Dany, by the way, sounded like it was written by a child.

To make matters worse, Aemon claims Daenerys is "under siege". Since when? Last time I checked, the other slaver cities don't care about Dany, and if they do care they aren't doing anything about it. Again, it's an example of taking things from the books and failing to account for their own deviations.

Hamfisted foreshadowing continues with Jon Snow emerging as Aemon talks about Targaryens. Honestly, that was just embarrassing to watch.

Everything to do with the Boltons and Sansa is horrific and painful to watch. Like we literally had to watch a scene of Ramsay's GIRLFRIEND being jealous over Sansa. Then Myranda goes Regina George on Sansa... I didn't think it was possible for a script to be so bad, but there we go.

I don't even want to talk about how they've butchered Daenerys. A few episodes ago her dragons tried to eat her, and now she's found a way to use that to her advantage. Genius!!! Why the hell is she still staking out Meereen then? What happened to her fight for justice? I guess Mossador's death really was pointless then. I mean, I have no doubt that Dany's gonna be feeding people to Drogon come TWoW, but the way it was staged was horrendous. So much for book-Dany's reluctance to embrace the dragon: "she could kill the sons of the Harpy, and the sons of the sons ... but a dragon could not feed a hungry child nor help a dying woman's pain. And who would ever dare to love a dragon?" But according to Missandei it's what the Great Masters "deserve"????? I'm screaming at this mess. I'm not even going to start on the Hizdahr proposal.

Grey Worm/Missandei continues to be awful. They took a child progidy from the books, aged her up, took away her intelligence, and gave her a romance with a eunuch... I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the writers room, because I don't understand how anyone could up with something so ridiculous. "Your Grace, I don't think I'm fit to have an opinion on these matters," says the character who in the books gave Daenerys pragmatic and moral advice.

Jorah getting greyscale... I'm at a loss for words. Another terrible example of taking a plot point from the book and putting it in the show where it doesn't make sense. I don't think it's consistent with Jorah's previous characterisation to keep his greyscale a secret and put other people in danger. He's supposed to be pragmatic... But whatever. I think one of the dragons will contract greyscale so maybe that's why they've included it. Or maybe there's just a greyscale epidemic.

My ratings so far this season have been 8, 7, 7, 6 - more than generous. But I can't give this more than a 3, and that's just for the scenes at the Wall - the only location that still has some form of continuity. The rest was completely embarrassing.

Just wondering how the slavers not going to notice the Grey Scale on his wrist when they put him in chains. Hope they pull a Victarion with him, though no Red Priest in sight so? I guess we know how the plauge comes to Meereen, and which plague it will be.

Just remember it's not the books. I thought about you too when I saw that.

So far I've gotten several people telling me that they thought of me. Glad to know I've got my Jorah-cred.

As for the Slavers..yeah I don't know. Wouldn't the Slavers just kill a man infected with Greyscale.

5/10

Very mixed, some parts were solid 10/10 whereas others parts were 0/10 and so I guess 5/10 is a fair number.

The Wall is the main location carrying this season so far. Love almost all of the scenes, even though it is quite obvious that Olly and Edd will be two of the stabbers this season or the next, but I guess they have to play that part up so show-only people will pick that up. 10/10

Winterfell was actually rather nice, much to my surprise. I mean, Sansa is very obvious about how she feels towards the Boltons at the dinner, not even toasting her own marriage. But the Theon bit I liked, definitely showing Ramsays mad and cruel side even when he tries to act normal. A little sad to not get "Don't make me rue the day I raped your mother" but I guess that is one more to the pile of great quotes never used. Myranda is meh, but there you go. 8/10

Meereen... Well, I guess they really want to show the Targaryen madness swelling up in Dany. Feeding the head of a noble family to the dragons, something not even the Targaryens used to do a lot. Annoying of course that there was no followup for that, no angry families, nothing. Turning it all around in the end and forcing the marriage upon Hizdahr?? Grey Worm/Missandei bla bla bla, all that can be said has been said. 0/10

Jorah and Tyrion. I mean the acting is good of course and everything looks fine, but here it's all about the deviations from the book. Valyria was a massive letdown, about as big as I've ever felt during the show. I'm not saying it couldn't look like this in the books and everything we hear about how there's still volcanoes erupting and earthquakes going on might not be true and the reason for no one returning from there could be another. But, I think we can say for certain that having more or less 100% of the story line from the Rhoyne just dumped over Valyria just doesn't work. Even a small hint of a taunt at the book readers when Tyrion says "This is not the Rhoyne anymore is it" or something like that.
Also, though it might be a bit nitpicky, at the end when they're on the beach and Jorah looks back at Valyria, it's the wrong way, because they are to the right of it with the ocean in front of them. So either they didn't go through Valyria and are back on the wrong side of it, which makes the attempt very pointless, or they ended up on an island to the southeast, but of course if they did they couldn't possibly walk to Meereen from there, so not that likely. Could very well be a mistake by the production. I'll be a little kind due to the acting. 2/10

So, 10/10, 8/10, 0/10, 2/10. All together, 5/10.
Ratings this season: 6, 5, 7, 6, 5

PS: Not even worth taking into account... Remember how Brienne and Pod were going to just "have to ride around" Moat Cailin? Well, I guess they did, " lol "

Edited by Krumbull

I don't even want to talk about how they've butchered Daenerys. A few episodes ago her dragons tried to eat her, and now she's found a way to use that to her advantage. Genius!!! Why the hell is she still staking out Meereen then? What happened to her fight for justice? I guess Mossador's death really was pointless then. I mean, I have no doubt that Dany's gonna be feeding people to Drogon come TWoW, but the way it was staged was horrendous. So much for book-Dany's reluctance to embrace the dragon: "she could kill the sons of the Harpy, and the sons of the sons ... but a dragon could not feed a hungry child nor help a dying woman's pain. And who would ever dare to love a dragon?" But according to Missandei it's what the Great Masters "deserve"????? I'm screaming at this mess. I'm not even going to start on the Hizdahr proposal.

Grey Worm/Missandei continues to be awful. They took a child progidy from the books, aged her up, took away her intelligence, and gave her a romance with a eunuch... I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the writers room, because I don't understand how anyone could up with something so ridiculous. "Your Grace, I don't think I'm fit to have an opinion on these matters," says the character who in the books gave Daenerys pragmatic and moral advice.

Jorah getting greyscale... I'm at a loss for words. Another terrible example of taking a plot point from the book and putting it in the show where it doesn't make sense. I don't think it's consistent with Jorah's previous characterisation to keep his greyscale a secret and put other people in danger. He's supposed to be pragmatic... But whatever. I think one of the dragons will contract greyscale so maybe that's why they've included it. Or maybe there's just a greyscale epidemic.

THANK YOU. Yes to all of this. If Dany's already using the dragons to put the fear of God into the Slavers then why hasn't she unleashed them to take care of the Sons?? They have completely done away with all her internal conflicts, something that makes Dany not only controversial but worth talking about!

IMO They are tearing apart the Mereen plot because GRRM messed it up so much, even he aknowledged it by calling it the Mereneese knot. The show is having to cut out a lot of what he had problems with.

I would say that her feeding a noble to the dragons is her unleashing them on the sons of the Harpy. After all, it's not like she can tell Viserion and Rhegal to "go kill only the sons of the Harpy" and have it work. Dragons are efficient in combat when ridden and you know who the enemy is.

As to it being hamfisted when Aemon talks about the last Targaryen and Jon walks in...I have asked some non readers about the scene and it wasn't picked up.

A part of me wants to say it's a good show, even great when it has its moments.

But the love I have for ASOIAF also makes me hate this God damn fucking show...I'm almost to the point of not watching it any more, but I know that's not going to happen. Fuck me, I'm cursed!

As someone who thought the first four episodes were better than season 4 and still had a tiny bit of optimism going forward, this trainwreck proved me wrong LOL.

There was absolutely no logic to the vast majority of the episode. Sam and Aemon know about Daenerys and her dragons... But no one else at the Wall bothers reacting to it? Because no one thinks for a single minute how important it might be to try and win Daenerys to their side. It's just such clunky awful writing. They want to hit certain book plot-points - like Aemon finding out about Daenerys - but they do it in a way that defies logic. The note Sam read about Dany, by the way, sounded like it was written by a child.

To make matters worse, Aemon claims Daenerys is "under siege". Since when? Last time I checked, the other slaver cities don't care about Dany, and if they do care they aren't doing anything about it. Again, it's an example of taking things from the books and failing to account for their own deviations.

Hamfisted foreshadowing continues with Jon Snow emerging as Aemon talks about Targaryens. Honestly, that was just embarrassing to watch.

Everything to do with the Boltons and Sansa is horrific and painful to watch. Like we literally had to watch a scene of Ramsay's GIRLFRIEND being jealous over Sansa. Then Myranda goes Regina George on Sansa... I didn't think it was possible for a script to be so bad, but there we go.

My ratings so far this season have been 8, 7, 7, 6 - more than generous. But I can't give this more than a 3, and that's just for the scenes at the Wall - the only location that still has some form of continuity. The rest was completely embarrassing.

Welcome aboard, ser!

Well, again, I score this a five of ten. The writing comes off clumsy as one should expect when material is taken from plot lines that do not exist in the show and assigned to other players.

The bright side is Sansa VS the Boltons. I think this story line may help to save the season.

Jon and Stanis have carried the show so far.

The rest have a chance of being revived when all the players are united. Lets all hope that it happens soon.

3/10, 5/10 ? And you've rated the earlier episodes higher? What the *PEEP* have you guys been smoking. This was by far the best episode of this season. If it wasn't for Jorah getting greyscale I would've given it a 10/10, but cause I like Jorah it's a 9.

Almost everything had pretty solid logic behind it, except for some Dany scenes, but those were done cause u'know DRAGONS!!! gotta spend the budget somewhere.

Aemon scene was good.. to the people complaining about how he knows of Daenerys, even the book readers should know that all the important information the citadel receives gets passed around to the maesters on ravens. There is no lapse in logic here, and neither is in not telling the whole Wall about Daenerys, since the letter specifically states that she is ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE WORLD, which makes her no concern of the Wall. You are seriously just trying to find things to complain about. Talk about being a debbie downer...

So far I've gotten several people telling me that they thought of me. Glad to know I've got my Jorah-cred.

As for the Slavers..yeah I don't know. Wouldn't the Slavers just kill a man infected with Greyscale.

You were the first person I thought of XD I hope it wasn't too hard on you, lol.

However, I do like what they've done with the Mereen storyline far more than in the books. I think we need to see Missandei and Greyworm in order to give Dany's crusade a human side, otherwise it will end up as one-dimensional and hard to understand as it is in the books.

Maybe Jorah finds a way to hide his greyscale from the slavers? Guess we'll see.

Edited by sj4iy

FFS TYRION WAS SUPPOSED TO FCKIN GET GREYSCALE THAT BASTARD SURVIVES EVERYTHING UGH

Wasnt fussed on this episode at all. I was really digging that valyria scene with the dragon ahead and the stone man jumping into the water behind but the actual close quarter scenes with the stone men?? Not that great at all..could have been handled sooo much better.

loved fat walda and sansa's angry face tho.

Eta: so 6/10

Edited by Theda Baratheon

8. Best episode so far this season, IMHO.

I didn't have a much of a problem as most with Dany feeding a former master to Rhaegal and Viserion. She just lost her adviser and more importantly, friend to the SotH and I could easily see something like that push her to do something extreme. Not only that, but Grey Worm was also badly injured.

The "proposal" was a bit clumsy, but since they haven't had Hizdar asking her to marry him since she took over Mereen, they had to go another route. Not the best solution, but whatevs.

Liked the stuff at the Wall, except for Edd speaking out against Jon's plan. Are all NW men except for Jon and Sam idiots? Leaving the Wildlings north of the wall mean a lot more soldiers for the army of the dead. It's pretty simple, even for illiterate ex-cons.

I also was a bit peeved at Olly. Yeah, the Thenns killed and ate your Mom and Dad. Have you forgotten who it was that killed the Magnar? Who made you his Steward? And now we're all prepared for the kid to stick a knife in Jon's back?

I really liked the fact that Tyrion and Jorah went through Valyria. TBH, it was one thing that always bugged me about the books. So many interesting places all but ignored. Valyria, Skaagos, Bear Island, the Land of Always Winter... I have to say that the ruins were a bit underwhelming, but at least they gave it they old college try. (or to quote Sheldon Cooper, the old "community" college try)

Liked Tyrion's reaction to Drogon, although I think if it were me, I'd be less "Wow! A dragon!" and more "Holy shit! A dragon! Hide, FFS!"

BTW: Yes. Tyrion was grabbed by the ankle by one of the Stone Men. It could be that this is foreshadowing to tell us that he's the third head. Maybe Targs are immune to greyscale, just like (some of them) are immune to fire.

Edited by Ser Osis

7/10

Probably my favourite episode of the season, just nudging ahead of the premiere. Far superior to last weeks awfulness.

Likes;

The acting. There has been an all around improvement on the quality of acting this season, so hats off to the cast.

The Wall. Sure, some bits seemed a bit weird (did they take Shireen on a war campaign? :dunno: ) but Maester Aemon :wub: d'awwwwww

Gwendoline Christie. Hate what the show has done with Brienne but I just have to applaud Gwen, she's done a great job with what she was given.

Winterfell. Liked the Roose and Ramsay interactions, plus Fat Walda and Sansa. Glad we got the "don't make me rue the day I raped your mother" moment, without the controversy the actual line would most likely have generated.

Dislike:

Meereen. First time this season but seemed pretty weak and inconsistent story-wise, at least imo. Unlike last season though, the acting was still good, so yay for that. Also, Grissandei plot needs to fall into the dragon pit and burn already.

Valyria. Admittedly this is the book purist in me talking but I just wish they had kept it as a desolate wasteland that nobody dare go near. Not a slightly foggy ruin that can be approached in a fishing boat.

Myranda. Ugh. Just go, already. Go away!