[Poll] How would you rate episode 505

Ran

How would you rate episode 505?  

558 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

9/10

Favourite episode this season so far. Finally some top-notch dialogue!

Best bits:

(1) Winterfell - very interesting to see how they're developing it. Only weird bit was Sansa talking back to the Boltons at dinner. What happened to stealth?

(2) Jorah and Tyrion - very good. This show couldn't handle her another travelling odd couple, so it's nice they pulled back from that. The poem was actually quite lovely.

(3) Stannis and Sam Tarly. It was a short exchange, but I thought it was nicely handled. The show would usually just plomp two characters in a scene and have them interact with no background - taking the time to establish why Stannis would acknowledge Sam at all (his father) was a nice touch.

(4) No Kings Landing! I didn't think it would make that much of a difference, but it's nice to be away from Cersei's mangled plot line for a bit.

I'm not sure about Dany's storyline. It could be interesting, and there were a few moments where she actually seemed like a real person, rather than a statue spewing grandiose threats. The moment when she gets off at feeding people to her dragons is certainly interesting for where they might be taking her.

I'll have to go with 7.5/8, because I'm deducting for killing off Ser Barry, and parts dragged. The good was extremely good, however.

The Wall had some of my favourite parts this season. I loved Aemon and Lord Snow coming into his own. The wildling chap is excellent (no HAR, though). Are they foreshadowing

something with Oldtown? Good. But does it make sense for Stannis to bring the wife and daughter along on a forced march? Why is Shireen talking about the crypts in Winterfell?

Speaking of Winterfell, this was perhaps the weak link in the episode. Parts of it dragged, and parts were confusing. Sansa meeting Theon (would he be recognisable? His sister didn't

recognise him in the book) was a tad underwhelming, although the bit where Ramsay forces him to apologise is cool. The best scenes were any that Roose was in (speech recognition

thought I'd said "Roose was Theon").

I'm glad GW at least is still alive, although I can't quite get into the GW/Miss romance. The dragons were cool, but I was afraid for a moment that they were going to cut through to Fire

and blood too fast. I liked Daenerys's scenes with Harzoo and Miss.

Tyrion/Jorah is also better this week, with Valyria, Drogon (I can't remember: was Tyrion's dragon fixation mentioned on the show?), and bonding over poetry. I guess now that they've

shared the Stone Men experience, they're BFF?

Maybe i have just lowered my expectations but I didn't mind this episode. I enjoyed the little boat ride through Valeryia (yup, i know Euron barely managed a similar trip with a FLEET of ships) and the scene with Jon and Tormund was entertaining. Just wish someone would kill Olly though.

This episode was a toss up for me. What I liked I really liked, but there were areas that have just become repetitive and some things I could just do without.

What I liked:

Stannis saying fewer

Stannis and Samwell

Davos and Shireen

Sansa seeing Theon

Dany and her dragons

Jorah and Tyrion

What I did not like:

Missandei and Grey Worm. I do not mind their interest in each other. We get it. They really like each other and it's tragic, but enough already

Ramsey's lunacy. I get it. He's nuts. I do not need to see him naked to know he is nuts. Somebody please just kill him off, because he is too stupid to be a great bad guy.

Then there is Roose, I want the show to do more with him, because at least he is interesting. Ramsey is too far over the top to be interesting.

Dany's proposal. That was just out of nowhere. Too choppy.

Dany asking Missandei for ruling advice. I mean really, enough already. Get the woman some decent advisors. Dany's story was a problem in the books and those problems have now appeared on the show. What a mess. There she is living in a pyramid of all places, ruling some piss ant city in the middle of nowhere and she is not even good at that.

I still find some changes jarring because they're central to character motivations... but overall I actually liked this episode. Maybe the best one of the year for me, though maybe not on account of the stupid Grey Worm/Missandei romance focus.

I'll give it a 7.49 and round down to 7.

Edited by Ser Not Appearing

What I did not like:

Dany's proposal. That was just out of nowhere. Too choppy.

Completely agree with this. She was against almost everything the nobles did and all the sudden she's not only going to re-open the fighting pits.....but marry the one noble who she was fighting against in opening the fighting pits. Okay......LAME.

An 8.367094.

Thank the Seven the show has happily jettisoned the dreck that is the "Across the Narrow Sea" portion of A Dance with Dragons. I can't imagine what introducing Aegon & co. at this point would mean. A cast of thousands! None of whom get screen time. None of whom any viewer could possibly take an interest in. Good riddance.

Also glad the show is (apparently) soft-pedaling the whole Sand Snakes plot-line. Seeing those 90 lb little girls whirl spears and swords... to view it is just as silly as it reads. I'd believe in the reality of dragons and ice demons first. To paraphrase a horrified Jerry who learns Kramer is taking a karate class with 10 year olds: "You don't need to know any moves, just wring their neck!"

Edited by hedgeknight001

An 8.367094.

Thank the Seven the show has happily jettisoned the dreck that is the Across the Narrow Sea portion of A Dance with Dragons. I can't imagine what introducing Aegon & co. at this point would mean. A cast of thousands! None of whom get screen time. None of whom any viewer could possibly take an interest in. Good riddance.

Also glad the show is (apparently) soft-pedaling the whole Sand Snakes plot-line. Seeing those 90 lb little girls whirl spears and swords... to view it is just as silly as it reads. I'd believe in the reality of dragons and ice demons first. To paraphrase a horrified Jerry who learns Kramer is taking a karate class with 10 year olds: "You don't need to know any moves, just wring their neck!"

:lmao: lmao

Epic shit

4/10 for you D&D

I supported D&D this long, but I just can't. I CAN NOT bear this Dany arc.

She is supposed to be confused and mad and desperate when she wants to somehow restore peace.

Instead she marches to him and says "I will reopen the pits & will marry you"

Totally out of context and crazy.

WTF !!

So much shit in this frikkin episode about Dany. You dany fans loved it didnt you? :|

What next D&D? Cercei coming up and saying "High Sparrow, Arrange a naked walk for me bitch"

I'm no unsullied but I'm enjoying this season as I have absolutely no idea what to expect in these episodes. Awesome dragon footage tonight! Loved Valyria! Enjoyed Roose/Ramsey/Sansa/Walda/Theon scenes.

Yeah, for half a second, I thought they'd let Tyrion drown. I'm not sure what they're doing with Jorah getting greyscale. Shouldn't he be another character and shouldn't he be bringing his disease to a different continent in the opposite direction? It's good that they're keeping that element of the story, but I'm not sure how much more they can change things.

10/10

I loved every single thing in it and I especially liked that change about Dany "forcing" Hizzan to marry her, I didn't like her to be forced to marry him in the books.

I think we are now over the books, at least with some characters and situations, we can't no more compare the show with them

6/10. Although they have cut out loads of stuff from the books to make it flow better and get more action in, it just feels like nothing is happening this season. A bunch of set up each episode, with some boobs every now and then. Boring so far.

3/10, 5/10 ? And you've rated the earlier episodes higher? What the *PEEP* have you guys been smoking. This was by far the best episode of this season. If it wasn't for Jorah getting greyscale I would've given it a 10/10, but cause I like Jorah it's a 9.

Almost everything had pretty solid logic behind it, except for some Dany scenes, but those were done cause u'know DRAGONS!!! gotta spend the budget somewhere.

Aemon scene was good.. to the people complaining about how he knows of Daenerys, even the book readers should know that all the important information the citadel receives gets passed around to the maesters on ravens. There is no lapse in logic here, and neither is in not telling the whole Wall about Daenerys, since the letter specifically states that she is ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE WORLD, which makes her no concern of the Wall. You are seriously just trying to find things to complain about. Talk about being a debbie downer...

Knowing about the existence of dragons and not doing anything about it MAKES. NO. SENSE. Fire defeats the wights. Dragons are fire made flesh. Aemon is related to the Mother of Dragons. And this somehow has absolutely no impact on anything at the Wall? No one thinks to tell Stannis? Everyone in Westeros knows about Dany but Stannis?

You were the first person I thought of XD I hope it wasn't too hard on you, lol.

However, I do like what they've done with the Mereen storyline far more than in the books. I think we need to see Missandei and Greyworm in order to give Dany's crusade a human side, otherwise it will end up as one-dimensional and hard to understand as it is in the books.

Maybe Jorah finds a way to hide his greyscale from the slavers? Guess we'll see.

LOL, what's hard to understand about wanting to end slavery? Missandei is - shock horror - completely human in the books and adds a lot of dimension to Dany's struggles. The peaceful island of Naath was invaded by slavers, who captured Missandei and her brothers and sold them to Astapor. But it's only "a human side" if she falls in love with a eunuch? Because that's really so much better than this passage below, isn't it?

“I want to protect you but … it is so hard. To be strong. I don’t always know what I should do. I must know, though. I am all they have. I am the queen … the … the …”

“… mother,” whispered Missandei.

“Mother to dragons.” Dany shivered.

“No. Mother to us all.”

The excuses y'all come up with for this shit is something else.

I enjoyed it but it's getting a lot of criticism due to not a lot of significance happening. For me it was on a par with episode 1 but behind the others. The previous three episodes seemed to be slowly leading to a build up while this one just felt like more dredging, a little foreshadowing but still no closer to the main plot points coming to fruition.

That said I really enjoyed the dinner seen, the dialogue and interactions between Sansa and Ramsey that was the highlight for me. The Tyrion and Jorah ending was a bit naff, Dany burning the Merenese nobles was obvious foreshadowing of her going villian but her agreeing to marry Hizadar felt disjointed. Also felt the scenes with Brienne and Pod added nothing. Stannis leaving now tells me he gets to Winterfall before the end of this season or something happens along the way to prevent him doing so and no I don't mean a snowstorm.