[Poll] How would you rate episode 505

Ran

How would you rate episode 505?  

558 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

5/10. We got more Roose and Stannis, there was no King's Landing or Dorne, and it was generally inoffensive. I liked that Roose actually talked about Ramsay's mother, and that Theon FINALLY TALKED. Alfie, Iwan, and Michael can act. Though several scenes in this episode were just stupid and bizarre. In particular the focus on Ramsay's show-only girlfriend. Just... why?

Though, like all the other season 5 episodes, I rated it 1/10. Because the average is too high. Anyone who rated any episode of this season a 9 or a 10 needs to get their brain checked, because a 10 is supposed to be a perfect product.

Edited by Nihlus

A 6/10. Not too bad.

I like that they concentrate on specific areas per episode, helps keep tension in the scenes. Still, it doesn't show passage of time very well when a scene happens immediately after another, such as when a raven is sent and received in the next scene.

Winterfell was pretty good, barring: the Myranda/Ramsey scene (which was well-acted, but noone cares about Myranda's motivations), Sansa's apparent return to stupidity (seriously, eye rolling, refusing toasts and trusting a random stranger?) and the cutting of a great line.

Can somebody kill Olly Chekhov please? Seriously, he's annoying and adds nothing.

Brienne's scene was a bit silly. She trusts that guy far too quickly.

Liked the Sam stuff, though who sent that raven is anyone's guess. 'Kill the Boy' felt a bit rushed and fell kind of flat. Stannis is gold.

Dany murdering that guy was... weird. I don't even like the book character, but that did feel very not-Dany (though admittedly she does something just as terrible in-books). Sadly, Hizdahr is becoming the most sympathetic character in SB. Not good.

Grissandei needs to go. Sorry, but it's cheesy, uninspired and adds nothing.

Valyria might have looked quite good, were it not for the fact that they describe the Doom as a cataclysmic event that annihilated an entire civilization, whereas Valyria just looked a bit misty and in need of a tidy. And of course, if people stopped sending Stone Men there. Also, if your characters are on a sea, try and make it look like they're on a sea.

The ending was a bit TWD and not in a good way. Very obvious.

This was the first episode i truly enjoyed this season. D&D, now having the whole story from GRRM can assume the role of editors, trimming the excess characters and long drawn out storylines that seem to go nowhere over multiple books. Dany acted more realistically in the this episode than she has in the novels, the "mystery' of the sons of the harpy with hiz dak lorak nanny-banny-bo-bak and the green grace and all that tedious failed intrigue was wisely disposed of and we will see it wrapped up more quickly now. and

Combining the tyrion/Jorah/Victarion was another perfect call.
This season is going to kick butt!

you don't have to be a statistical genius to see there is something funky about the distribution of votes here, with the votes dropping gradually from 9 to 3, then suddenly jumping up for 1 and 2. A fairly transparent average skewing exercise. Makes the median the only reliable statistical measure.

For a forum having a massive segment of participants that pride themselves for hating David and Dan so much it is interesting that the last episode scored tens more than ones, twos and threes combined.

For a forum having a massive segment of participants that pride themselves for hating David and Dan so much it is interesting that the last episode scored tens more than ones, twos and threes combined.

Scoring seems strange since this was the best written episode of the season and it's more Bryan Cogman than D&D.

Edited by boojam

Scoring seems strange since this has best written episode of the season and it's more Bryan Cogman than D&D.

For me this was the worst of the season, the worst in a long while. In fact, I wouldn't be shocked to discover that most people scored it higher after finding out who wrote it, and then convincing themselves that some of the more glaring inconsistencies were not all that bad. I would have given it a zero, but that wasn't available. So I gave a 1 and I haven't calmed down enough to write a proper review.

i dont understand how some people consider that cogman is so better than D&D and everything he writes is best compared to the D&D..

for me he takes lots of lines from books which satisfy some people other than that i dont see any difference at all...this episode was one of the badly written in case of dany alone..iam willing to forgive about the dragons scene but the marriage proposal was changed in a way that changes the dynamics of both Dany and hizdar ..reading the comments it looks like lots of people feel sympathy for hizdar and comparing dany to RAmsay that she will treat hizdar in the same way ramsay is going to treat sansa ..Seriously ..i dont know who is main character anymore hizdar and the great masters or dany .

Edited by Drogonthedread

I think to compare what any of the writers has written this year is like to compare a boiled potato to another potato boiled in the very same pot at the very same time. They have all been similar, vastly above average quality TV that, frankly, all the Game Of Thrones has been for it's whole existance. So, one? Wonder what the people that gave the episode a one really like? A World According To Jim would then be my best bet.

Funnily also, regarding the writing holiness of Bryan Cogman, how many of you know what scenes were actually written by him, how many were rewritten by David and Dan and how many were completely written by David and Dan? Matt Weiner of Mad Men has said that if he rewrites less than 85% of the whole episode of Mad Men himself the original writer gets a co-writing credit and GRRM has been on record on how many David and Dan scenes have been in his episodes too, and has managed to sound quite complimentary.

Also, a show of that complexity, all the scenes of all episodes had all probably been mapped out way before the first word of official screenplay was ever written down and those were probably been mapped out by ALL the writers in the room together, not by any guy individually.

They shouldn't use all directors/writers on all storylines/episodes. Make the one that is good with Daenerys stuff only direct her and write her episode parts and the one that is good with Wall stuff only does those parts. No need to have episode specific directors. Such nonsense how they do it. Must also be massively more expensive that way.

They shouldn't use all directors/writers on all storylines/episodes. Make the one that is good with Daenerys stuff only direct her and write her episode parts and the one that is good with Wall stuff only does those parts. No need to have episode specific directors. Such nonsense how they do it. Must also be massively more expensive that way.

Indeed. And on Breaking Bad they should have a Walter White director, a Jesse Pinkman director, a Skyler White director, Gus Fring director, Hank Schraeder director and so on, directing only scenes where those people appear? That is not how TV works. They don't write "alll of Mereen" then "all of Wall" then "all of Kings Landing" then film them and then cut them up and randomly start to fill 10 hours of it.

These guys are running what is at the moment the biggest show on TV (and what did NOT start to be as one) and they are apparently absolute idiots and the real smart people are all in this forum? In-massive-deed.

I think to compare what any of the writers has written this year is like to compare a boiled potato to another potato boiled in the very same pot at the very same time. They have all been similar, vastly above average quality TV that, frankly, all the Game Of Thrones has been for it's whole existance. So, one? Wonder what the people that gave the episode a one really like? A World According To Jim would then be my best bet.

Funnily also, regarding the writing holiness of Bryan Cogman, how many of you know what scenes were actually written by him, how many were rewritten by David and Dan and how many were completely written by David and Dan? Matt Weiner of Mad Men has said that if he rewrites less than 85% of the whole episode of Mad Men himself the original writer gets a co-writing credit and GRRM has been on record on how many David and Dan scenes have been in his episodes too, and has managed to sound quite complimentary.

Also, a show of that complexity, all the scenes of all episodes had all probably been mapped out way before the first word of official screenplay was ever written down and those were probably been mapped out by ALL the writers in the room together, not by any guy individually.

Absolutely true. That is how the process works in reality. Who gets credits in what episode is irrelevant. But, one has to notice a difference in writing style. That is why I do not think Meereen and the Wall in this episode was written by the same person whoever that may be.

Indeed. And on Breaking Bad they should have a Walter White director, a Jesse Pinkman director, a Skyler White director, Gus Fring director, Hank Schraeder director and so on, directing only scenes where those people appear? That is not how TV works. They don't write "alll of Mereen" then "all of Wall" then "all of Kings Landing" then film them and then cut them up and randomly start to fill 10 hours of it.

These guys are running what is at the moment the biggest show on TV (and what did NOT start to be as one) and they are apparently absolute idiots and the real smart people are all in this forum? In-massive-deed.

Verily you are so much smarter than I am.

"Biggest show on TV"

oh people.

EDIT

Reading your other posts it is obvious you are a troll.

Edited by Metopheles

EDIT

Reading your other posts it is obvious you are a troll.

Why does trying to be in touch with some semblance of reality make someone a troll?

GoTs is the biggest show on TV (by all definitions such as biggest budget, biggest viewership and most downloads) and D&D are still at the helm. Regardless of what you think of the show, these 2 things are kind of impossible to deny.

Using one director per storyline on a composite show could potentially work for something like GoT with disconnected storylines and be beneficial, but it would be an experimental way of shooting and not something a high-budget production would want to experiment with. It would also scare away established directors.

Edited by AdmiralKyrd

Using one director per storyline on a composite show could potentially work for something like GoT with disconnected storylines and be beneficial, but it would be an experimental way of shooting and not something a high-budget production would want to experiment with.

It's not a bad idea - but the higher a budget gets, the less experimental the production becomes. Because, money,