[BOOK SPOILERS] What your non-reader friends/family thought and their predictions

WinterKing

Feedback was that is was a slow episode and not much of consequence happening, one actually thought Tyrion died at the end! Feedback I got is that someone from the Bolton is going to die and they are picking up a lot that Dany is turning into a villain within the story.

When Dany let her dragons burn and eat that guy, my unsullied girlfriend was like, "I knew that was gonna happen." And I'm the one sitting there with this shocked look on my face. Also, she couldn't understand why I was so upset about "that old knight" dying.

I think she finally remembered what happens to the Unsullied soldiers before they become Unsullied, because when Grey Worm and Missandei were having their moment, she was like, "wait a minute! How can they even... I mean, really?"

Oh, and my favorite moment was when she forgot the name of the disease, greyscale, and at the end of the episode, she was like, "*gasp* So Jorah has Grey Worm now??"

To me it seems that if a name is mentioned, then it is in some way relevant, so:

Shireen mentions Bran the builder and King Durran being in the crypts before being cut off, and earlier on the old lady tells Sansa "you still have friends in the north," referring to houses still loyal to the starks. . . . but perhaps Bran isn't in the crypts, and is actually the Night's King, the "friend" coming to help the Starks (army of the dead).

Daenerys feeding people to dragons and saying "if I gave everyone what they deserved I'd have no one left to rule," and Aemon saying "a Targaryen alone in the world is a terrible thing" could ironically be foreshadowing that she will go crazy and burn down Westeros when she gets there (as it is Targaryen tradition to conquer/seek glory).

And then take it one step further: the Others are coming to protect the north from Daenerys, but the rest of Westeros will burn.

This is very interesting, and a thought I have shared recently. What if...Daenerys Targaryen is actually THE BAD GUY in the story's endgame?

In the UK, Sky Atlantic (the channel which shows Game of Thrones) has a show called Thronecast which airs directly after each episode, this week they briefly suggested that Dany is the end game villain of the piece, I've been thinking it a while and many of my unsullied friends are picking up on it. If true I think it's a great way for the story to conclude seeing this young girl who starts off good (albeit with a self-entitlement complex) become bad over time while meaning to do good along the way would be a great story in my eyes - far better than her conquering Westeros, defeating the white walkers or marrying Jon which seem to be popular theories amongst her fan base.

I think Dany villain would be interesting as a concept of "goof guy becoming a villain" but I see nothing like this in her character and it would not work for the storyline either. If she had invaded at the end of Dance instead of Aegon then maybe, but when Dany arrives to Westeros everyone should be prepared for the endgame. Unless you think White Walkers are the good guys I do not see Dany villain happening.

My unsullied sister hates Dany for burning one of the masters. She's like 'she didn't give the guy a chance to prove himself. The dragons should have eaten Dany instead.'

She cursed when she thought the episode was ending with Tyrion sinking into the bottom. :lol: Wanted Ramsay to just die already.

Dany didn´t receive many comments.

My unsullied were confused by the stonemen. They didn´t made the connection to greyscale because they thought, they were not ill but zombies or something. Valyria was appreciated.

The Nights-watch members are now seen as the dumbest guys around, for not following Jon´s vision.

My friends didn´t gave them a pass for being at war with the wildlings for thousands of years. I think this will be interesting, when a certain scene happens.

D&D somehow managed to make my friends like Jon Snow. Which they didn´t in previous seasons. That´s a good thing in my book.

Ramsay and Myranda made everyone uncomfortable.

I was asked, if Ramsay isn´t heir anymore when he gets a brother. They somehow just didn´t get that Roose is just as bad as Ramsay. After I explained that Roose is just a better actor and that he likely wants a son that isn´t as unstable as Ramsay. They really liked these scenes.

The question appeared, if the Boltons have enough men left, to fight Stannis. My friends thought the northern military is just completely wrecked, and the Northerners have nothing left.

Overall the episode was received rather well. (I really liked it, too. Probably because of less KL. ;))

I usually watch with a group of 8 unsullied so I love watching their reactions.

Before it started, most were anxious to see if Grey Worm was alive or not. They love him, and Missandei as well. So they let out little cheers when they saw Grey Worm alive. Some were bummed about Barry, some had no reactions other than feeling sad for Dany being more alone.

The dragon feeding scene they loved. They wanted Dany to feed all those guys to them. Not surprisingly, they all love Dany.

Two in the group figured out Jon is a Targaryen (they told me afterward to not ruin it for the rest). The Aemon scene where Jon walks in sealed it for those two I think. The rest are completely clueless still lol. They don't even really think about Jon's parentage I think, since they never bring it up.

The wall stuff most of them generally found boring. Lots of getting up for snacks and drinks during those scenes. A few are interested in Shireens Greyscale, all of them find Melisandra annoying, and all of them dislike Selyse. And weirdly no one seems to have an opinion on Stannis, one way or another. Indifferent more than anything.

No comments on Brienne.

Winterfell scenes they liked I think. They HATE Ramsay, feel bad for Theon and Sansa, no opinion on Roose that I could tell. Up until last season most of them couldn't tell the difference between Roose and Stannis, because they "look alike". They all think Stannis is going to be defeated by Roose though and Sansa will have to escape.

They love Jorah and Tyrion, and want them to meet up with Dany already. They thought Valyria was creepy, though I had to explain the stonemen a little bit. They gasped when they saw Jorahs arm.

No comments on next weeks preview. None of them seem too into the Dorne stuff, though they did love Oberyn. No comments on Arya missing, a few comments about no Cersei.

Dany being the villain doesn't really make sense to me. How would it play out? She invades Westeros and all of the houses band together to kill her and her dragons? Doesn't sound right. Where do the White Walkers factor in?

Precisely that makes her a villain. Imagine: the wars are winding down. Winter and famine are upon the land. The smallfolk brace themselves for it. And when it looked like their woes weren't enough, here comes yet another entitled highborn to kill thousands in order to rule them all.

She's not a villain, she's just inexperienced and searching how to rule (with trial and error).

This! Dany, Jon, and Tyrion are the protagonists of the story. None of them is going to be a villain. It's a long arc, and it would be boring if Dany didn't experience some complications before getting to Westeros (although I think we all know GRRM took that long wait to an extreme). We have to worry about Dany before we can root for her again.

It's really starting to annoy me how people are calling Dany crazy for burning a perhaps innocent man alive while Stannis burns KNOWN innocents alive on a semi regular basis (poor Mance Rayder, poor Uncle Florent) and everyone thinks he's the greatest. What's that all about? Simple sexism or is there a real reason to have such double standards?

My roomie doesn't have the most interesting of reactions, but I'm a bit fascinated by his care for Littlefinger. (And, as probably the only person in the world, for Cersei. He knows she is crazy, but I think he loves this 'crazy mother' aspect of her.) Anyway, he had a couple of comments which were alright.

Title: "Kill the Boy". Roomie thought that would be the end of Tommen. "It's too early to kill him off, isn't it? I know he's gonna die, but not yet? He's so cute, poor boy!"

Mereen, Dany lets Hizdahr live: "That's how you're proposed to by a queen. *chuckle*" (Gotta agree with him on that one, though.)

Podrick: "Yes! Podrick! That's the man!" (With a dash of irony, but also a lot of love for our Pod.)

Generally: "There's too much North in this episode. And where's Littlefinger? I love Littlefinger."

I told him some details from the books afterwards, some things about the greyscale, that Sansa isn't at Winterfell in the books but that the character who is, is going through horrible, horrible things and that though I doubt all that will happen to Sansa (I'll believe it when I see it), I don't trust D&D either, so I am quite nervous for her. And I also told him he should get ready for a bad shock later in the season. His reaction:

Noooo! Don't tell me they're gonna kill Littlefinger!

So, we all have our favourites, I guess :)

My unsullied co-worker who I think has the best perspective of all my unsullied friends thought this episode was the best of the season. I agree.

Oddly enough, my unsullied mom gets irritated more with Margery than Cersei because Margergy seems more deceitful.

No one really liked the idea of Danny marrying Hizdar.

Everyone loved the last scene.

Dany being the villain doesn't really make sense to me. How would it play out? She invades Westeros and all of the houses band together to kill her and her dragons? Doesn't sound right. Where do the White Walkers factor in?

Westeros needs an enema - Dany and Jon are going to provide it. I hope and suspect they will be destructive saviours, with the White Walkers, Arya, Bran and all the wolves in tow, to wipe the slate clean for a new dawn.

And that fricken horrible chair, that people have bitched about for 7 seasons, will finally be melted.

Archived