(Book Spoilers) Positive Nitpicking thread...

sj4iy

If you go around the internet, you'll find a lot of places where book readers still enjoy the show, even with the changes. This site takes the cake for people who violently hate the show based on changes :dunno: . It's a matter of preference of course, but I don't think the general tone of this website matches a lot of the more positive tones you'll find on others, so yes, it's enjoyable to see a thread on here where you can have positive conversations about the show.

Can you name some of these websites? I would love to check them out!

The best episode this season? :/

Positive thread. No repercussions here for expressing one's opinion, just like the rant and rave thread. Discussion thread is for debate. This is not.

The awkward dinner party scene. The tension reminded me a lot of the Sandor/Arya/Polliver chicken scene. It was my favorite pure talky scene since "I will be your champion" (which incidentally is my second favorite talky scene in show history, right after "Seven kingdoms couldn't fill the hole she left behind"). It also made a contrast with the previous reigning awkward dinner party scene, Stannis/Selyse/Melisandre after the burning of that Florent guy. Draws a contrast between unpleasant vs. truly evil. (Stannis is not exactly good, and Melisandre and Selyse are kind of evil in their show depictions, but none of them come close to the Boltons in utter depravity.) The Roose/Ramsay and Stannis/Shireen scenes in back to back episodes drew an even starker contrast.

Overall, I like the pace at which Team Dragonstone has been ushered from being on the side of net evil (from an Unsullied's perspective) to the side of net good, i.e. not too sudden and not too much to be believable. I especially liked the more heroic rendition of the Stannis theme as the army was marching out. Though I'm reading the books now, I started as a show-only watcher, and I must have been one of the few show-only watchers to really like Stannis from the get-go, and a big part of that was simply his kickass theme music.

None of his lines were ha-ha funny, but Tyrion evoked his S1/S2 self for the first time in a long time. I find Tyrion at his most likable and to have the best screen presence when he's slowly turning someone pre-disposed against him to his side. (Such as with Jon Snow in S1, or Mord in S1, or Bronn in S1, or Timmett in S1... S1 Tyrion was awesome, all around.)

Your weekly positive nitpicking thread.

The episodes just keep getting better, and the build-up faster. I had so many favorite moments I can't possibly list them, so I'll go with my top 5:

1. "Kill the Boy, Jon Snow" - I cried.

2. Sansa meeting Reek - I cried again.

3. Jorah saves Tyrion and gets greyscale (NOOOOOOO!)

4. Tyrion sees Drogon.

5. Stannis saying 'fewer' (whoo, callback!)

I know I've left plenty for you guys, what did you just love? Remember, keep on topic! Thanks!

Was that Drogon?

I think for me the highlight was Stannis preparing to depart and his discussion with Sam.

The Sansa scenes were good. Especially those where the north slowly begins to rally to her side.

I found the episode to be generally boring. The Tyrion/Jorah scenes primarily caused this. Although I did like the opening scene, they are making Dany look even more psychotic with every episode.

Was that Drogon?

I think for me the highlight was Stannis preparing to depart and his discussion with Sam.

The Sansa scenes were good. Especially those where the north slowly begins to rally to her side.

I found the episode to be generally boring. The Tyrion/Jorah scenes primarily caused this. Although I did like the opening scene, they are making Dany look even more psychotic with every episode.

It was Drogon...he was black and red.

I really liked the Tyrion and Jorah scenes. I have to say these two are great together and both of their reactions to seeing Drogon were spot on. I loved the poem they recited, plus Iain Glenn has a great voice for reciting poetry. I could listen to him recite that poem all day.

I loved the poem they recited, plus Iain Glenn has a great voice for reciting poetry. I could listen to him recite that poem all day.

I was just going to type the same. What a beautiful voice he has! He should have said more lines.

The actor playing Roose Bolton was also very good this episode. They were all very good: Roose, Ramsay, Theon. And also maester Aemon. This show has such a great actors!

I've read the books, but I like the Bolton - Sansa storyline. I don't like it when there are too many new characters.

theon was amazing this episode. I also thought dany was amazing, really liked her burning up one of the masters & finally acting like the mother of dragons. I just wish her fierceness was consistent. marrying hizdhar came out of nowhere though?

I'm enjoying the show boltons more than I did the book boltons, I think. Part of it is just both Roose and Ramsay were brilliantly cast, but also because they're making them less blatantly evil and much more believably manipulative, without really scaling back the crazy. Ramsay being the ugly monster with the subtlety of a brick to the face is much less interesting than a Ramsay who shows that he can still paly his good boy act and pushed, both by his father and myranda. Same for Count Leech Lord looking human, understanding how to inspire and not just terrify his bastard, and even showing some stannis like snark at times "i'm sure you're familiar with the procedure."

And Dany forcing Hizdahr to marry her after crucifying his father and almost feeding him to a dragon is so juicy. I like Dany as a character, but that's because I see her being an example of how even a well intentioned dragon leaves fire and blood in its wake, not because I see her as a virtuous and heroic savior. And her spiralling to what she did the episode after Ser Grandpa, her last trusted councellor who urged restraint, died was a nice step in that direction. I'm very curious to compare how Dany treats Hizdahr to how Ramsay treats Sansa.

Loved Tyroin seeing Drogon and the two talking about Valyria, was poetic.

Happy with Stannis marching on winterfell, shit will hit the fan soon and I look forward to it :)

Also nice to see Ramsay being scared by an unborn child and Sansa rubbing it in.

Only thing I disliked was Olly. He killed his fathers killer, his family is avenged.

You can't positively debate a positive? Seems uncanny.

It's just not a debate thread. Nothing personal, this is simply a thread for stating what you enjoyed about the episode without having to justify it.

Lots of positives. This is probably the episode with the best/consistent dialogue this season.

-All the Winterfell scenes, including the awkward dinner and the "talk" between Roose and Ramsay. I'm somewhat suspicious that in the coming Battle of Ice, Roose is setting Ramsay up for the greatest burn in Westeros history.

-Jon Snow and Aemon. Seriously, the guy playing Aemon nailed "Killed the boy." Its also good to see his humorous side.

-Sam being told to keep researching the White Walkers by Stannis.

-Tyrion and Jorah being buddies, reciting....poetry? Subtle hint that Jorah is quite literate compared even to the average nobleman. And getting greyscale was heartbreaking to say the least.

-Daenerys getting angry. They probably replaced the torture of random harpy suspects daughter with the burning of a Wise Master. Cool scene, awesome CGI effects.

Honourable mention- Grey Worm and Missendei scene seemed less awkward.

I enjoyed it! Best episode this season. Things I liked:

-Dany doing intentionally some morally questionable things

-show Hizdahr, I like him much more than his book counterpart. Liked him playing zen before the dragons and afterwards admitting being scared as hell. Good to see more male characters who obviously aren't fearless warriors but still can be taken seriously. I symphatize with him

-Aemon was great. "I feel like a 100 year old man slowly freezing to death. " "half the men hate you already, do it!" and "kill the boy" of course

-Thormund. Especially his face when Jon unchained him. He's a good-hearted man.

- show pointing out that white walkers are the real threat to the realm. For a while they seemed quite forgotten.

-As you probably see I'm not a native speaker of English so I wouldn't have noticed anything wrong with "less enemies" if Stannis hadn't corrected me. Loved it though. Made me instantly feel a bit insecure about my language skills and I would definitely shut the f up if stannis was around :lol:

-Walda speaking and pregnant

-Stannis and Sam. Stannis talking about Randyll and the walkers. "keep reading, Samwell Tarly"

-Jorah and Tyrion. Though for me that wasn't Valyria, the scene was beautiful and well done. The stoneman pulling Tyrion to the bottom was amazing. I think the storyline- and character-merging they did here was succesfull.

-the hilariously twisted proposal

Overall a very nice episode

Come on, guys. If there's something you didn't like about the episode, please put it in another thread (believe me, there are plenty of them). This is for what you like ONLY. So if you liked part of the episode and hated the other half, this thread for for the former...please don't mention the latter here. Thank you.

Can you name some of these websites? I would love to check them out!

This one is where I`ve been hiding out the last couple of weeks: http://watchersonthewall.com/

This used to be my go to site until this past year: http://winteriscoming.net/

A new one: http://underthehearttree.freeforums.net/

Plus there are forums for GoT here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/index.php

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1024603&highlight=game+of+thrones

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1024609&highlight=game+of+thrones

This one is small, but they are very friendly, humourous, and have a nifty chat system at the bottom of the pages....xD: http://www.fleabottom.net/

I can`t say enough how much I appreciate you starting these threads, sj4iy. I kept meaning to say thanks before, but always forgot. :frown5: I stayed away from here for a couple of weeks because...and I was delighted to see that you are still plugging away at the positives. Good job! :cheers:

I liked so many things this week, but the one that completely grabbed my heart was the moment Aemon touched Jon`s face. Tears. :crying:

Walda had me smirking, and Sansa...ohhh how I love her new attitude and look. As much as I want to loathe Ramsay, he`ll always be SuperSimon to me, so he had me chortling in every scene. The look on Sam`s face when Stannis said that Randall Tarly was a great soldier (or some such) made me want to reach and hug him through the screen.

Archived