(Book Spoilers) Positive Nitpicking thread...

sj4iy

Sansa/Ramsay/Roose were FANTASTIC with their facial expressions and acting. Ramsay's trolling is freaking glorious, Sansa's little smirk when she saw how pissed Ramsay was after Walda mentioned she was pregnant, and pretty much every line delivery from Roose were just spot-on. Really enjoying this storyline, although very very worried about Sansa really being victimized again.

Valyria was beautiful, Stonemen were creepy, Beach at the end beautiful. Some awesome scenes there, another good change from the book I think.

Finding Dany's storyline more engaging on the show than in the books as well. I think the Show did a great job by giving Dany more agency in her decision to marry Hizdahr, rather than sort of the defeated/weary acceptance in the books.

While I dislike Olly as a character, I thought it was smart of the show to create him and have him take the spot of Bowen Marsh in the debate over the Wildlings. Olly is a better sparring partner for Jon than Bowen Marsh I think.

I don't have anything specific to add, but I just wanted to share how nice it is to have found a thread on here with people that actually enjoy the show!

If you go around the internet, you'll find a lot of places where book readers still enjoy the show, even with the changes. This site takes the cake for people who violently hate the show based on changes :dunno: . It's a matter of preference of course, but I don't think the general tone of this website matches a lot of the more positive tones you'll find on others, so yes, it's enjoyable to see a thread on here where you can have positive conversations about the show.

If you go around the internet, you'll find a lot of places where book readers still enjoy the show, even with the changes. This site takes the cake for people who violently hate the show based on changes :dunno: . It's a matter of preference of course, but I don't think the general tone of this website matches a lot of the more positive tones you'll find on others, so yes, it's enjoyable to see a thread on here where you can have positive conversations about the show.

Thank you :)

I don't have anything specific to add, but I just wanted to share how nice it is to have found a thread on here with people that actually enjoy the show!

I think they've made a bit of a mess of things on the show compared to the books but at the same time I do enjoy the show. I really enjoy the comparitively minimalist shooting style they use and the very sparing, again comparitively, use of shakey-cam. It is nice that a shot of someone sitting still doesn't come with a bouncing camera.

I love this Danny. Fed a noble to her dragons and is feeling dominatrix-like attraction to the effete Hizdar. Let's not forget, Danny ordered Hizdar's father crucified in this version, so she's essentially to Hizdar what Ramsay is to Sansa. How far are they going to go with this? Will she be cuckolding Hizdar with Dario too boot? I also appreciate that Dany is only into interracial marriages so far. Her taking control of the situation makes the tone change considerably, and she's less "Queen Sansa" and more of the more complex character with a dark side who chopped off Shave Pate's head and feeds the nobles to Dragons. She's the first empowered woman who is forcing a man into her marriage for her own political purposes. Ironically, a former slave owner is being groomed to have a more sympathetic and heroic arc when I think he inevitably conspires against her for the fighting pits scene. This is far more nuanced than the "help me Barristan" arch, wannabe Abraham Lincoln Targaryen. I can't wait for her to get crazy eyed and tell him "You wouldn't want to wake the DRAGON, would you?"

Thought this point from the other thread could lead to some interesting discussions, though I wouldn't exactly call Dany an empowered woman since she's still so much a slave to her childish impulses.

Valryia would have been awesome if it was just called the Sorrows. To show only fans I'm sure it was great but to me its like Frodo going to Mordor and it just being a desert with a stone cities where the orcs live.

The stoneman scene was tense. Very well done.

Sam and Stannis was great. You can see how scared of Stannis he is because he reminds him of his father.

The Night's Watch disagreeing with Jon was done very well. I quite enjoyed Ollie's scene with Jon.

"Fewer" Nice throwback to season 2 when Stannis corrected Davos.

The Dragons were awesome even if the scene made little sense.

Maester Aemon always ads something to the show that no other actor does. He gets some great scenes.

Davos and Shireen was adorable.

The pan out shot was epic. I can't wait for some Team Dragonstone vs Bolton action. I hope the show speed it up or even change it to an all out siege/battle.

I liked the Dragon feeding scene the more I think about it. It replaces the Wine-Sellers daughters as dany's most vicious and brutal submission to Fire and Blood, and although it's less powerful and Dany being there to see it makes her more responsible for her decisions, it's visually much more spectacular. So it's a change that fits the medium better.

When Maester Aemon tells Jon -- Kill the boy, let the man be born. I loved that part in the book and I loved watching it play out. I also really liked Aemon says something like ..a Targaryen alone in the world is a terrible thing, and in walks Jon Snow. I am surprised at how obvious the show is in dropping hints about Jon. I thought it would take longer and be a slower build. Instead they seem to be inserting hints weekly.

I'm also thankful for this thread. This board is almost useless with the nitpicking and over-the-top hate.

I like that the show has consolidated Tyrion and Jorah's storylines. When Jon Con got greyscale I was just like "sucks to be him" because I didn't care about him. Jorah getting greyscale? I care. Most of Tyrion's boatmates were nothing more than extras and I was really tired of the who is so-and-so in disguise crap by then. Who is Septa Lemore? Don't care. Who is Young Griff? Don't care.
Sophie Turner and Alfie Allen were great in their scenes. I almost got the feeling that Sansa doesn't believe Theon killed Bran and Rickon.
Stannis-Sam - enjoyed their scene. Nice reminder of Sam's background.

When Maester Aemon tells Jon -- Kill the boy, let the man be born. I loved that part in the book and I loved watching it play out. I also really liked Aemon says something like ..a Targaryen alone in the world is a terrible thing, and in walks Jon Snow. I am surprised at how obvious the show is in dropping hints about Jon. I thought it would take longer and be a slower build. Instead they seem to be inserting hints weekly.

If they're still planning 7 seasons,then I guess it's the right time to heavily hint on that.They're gonna need it in the near future.Peter Vaughan is a legend in every sense of that word,but that's nothing new.

Been reading here for a few years, and just recently join, but MAN... this place can be super depressing. Vile hatred towards D&D despite doing a pretty good job of a book serious that seemed almost impossible to bring to the screen.

I'm very happy that everyone enjoys this thread...however, we need to refrain from commenting on what other posters are saying about the show in other threads, because I don't want this thread to become hostile. Thanks for understanding!

Just to get back on topic, I'm very interested to see how Brienne's story is going to intertwine with Sansa and Winterfell. I'm wondering if they are going to be in the Mance situation.

I really liked Jon’s negotiation with Tormund, especially when Tormund stood up to tower over Jon, and then Jon got in his face and unshackled him.

It was interesting to finally hear Missandei’s opinion. I had wondered if she was a true believer in Dany or not. Sounds like she is. Though some people are convinced that she was intentionally mis-counseling Dany. And I agree that the show has left that door open - clearly at some point Missandei's motivations are going to be important in the plot.

I enjoyed that Jorah and Tyrion both had the same poem memorized. And Jorah's line about "and then it wasn't" was very much in character. Those two have a lot of story left for the season, should be exciting!

I think the show is playing Theon’s return to humanity convincingly so far. It seems like a difficult thing to pull that off convincingly and economically. But there was real anguish and caring in Theon’s face when he apologized to Sansa the second time. And earlier in the season he was staring up at the burned corpses thinking about the kids he burned. I’m really looking forward to Theon giving Sansa away at the wedding.

This has been my favorite episode so far, largely because I don't know what will happen, just like when I started watching season 3, totally unsullied and having no knowledge of the books, forums, or wikis. I was a sad preggo with bronchitis and my Sunday nights alone with GoT and the bump got me through some hard times.

Now I have DH to share it with, so it's even better. Love that they returned to using more of the musical motifs from earlier seasons, season 4 was off the rails for me tonally as well as musically. Loved that this was a North-heavy episode as all that wintry gloom is what got me hooked in the first place. I feel that familiar brutal dread and know this is a set up episode and things will be falling into place soon, for better or worse.

I am totally ok with the Sansa changes, and love that we have her interacting with Theon, her enemies, and some sort of underground Northern support system. Like the streamlining they did with Jorah and greyscale, it's a nice bit of world-building they retained. Sooooo glad Dany is making decisions again and actually intrigued with Hizdahr's portrayal for the first time. Is he a weak douche or is he up to something?

Thanks for this thread, it's an oasis.

I love this episode because it kept me in the edge of my seat (and I didn't feel that way since the first season, when I was an Unsullied). It's great that the episode was centered around the Northern storyline. Every scene in Winterfell and the Wall was absolutely great.

Archived