[BOOK SPOILERS] Rant and Rave Without Repercussion

teemo

Everyone knows the drill. This is the place to go to voice any displeasure you had with S5E05 Kill The Boy. It's not a debate thread. There are plenty of threads for that already if that's what you're interested in. Please don't feed the trolls.

So I guess the best thing I can say about this episode is that it was more boring than anything. It didn't have me violently rolling my eyes like last week's offering, but that's largely because I was fighting to keep my eyes open through most of it.

Initial thoughts:

Dany and the dragons: Yes, burning an innocent man alive seems like a fitting tribute to Barristan's memory. It's good to see that the speech he gave her about her crazy people burning father did not fall on deaf ears.

Jon/Sam/Aemon: Wow, they managed to take two of my favorite conversations from the books (Aemon's sorrow at not being there for Dany and "Kill the boy.") and dispatch them in a passionless one minute long scene. To me this is one of the best examples of how, even when they manage to hit points in the book, they totally botch the emotional weight that makes those scenes great.

Jon and Tormund: At least we finally get a mention of the WW. Why do they only ever come up in these conversations as an afterthought? It was the same way with the NW meeting. Loved the oh so necessary pointing out of Olly in that scene, too.

Oooooh, watch out for Sassy Stannis the Grammar Nazi.

As if the earlier mention wasn't enough, Jon and Olly get their own dramatic scene! Awwwww.

Ramsay and Myranda: Oh good, I was worrying we wouldn't get our requisite tit scene in this episode. It's good to see that they've watered him down from barely contained psychopath to a guy in a 50 Shades of Grey type relationship. So much more compelling.

Sansa and The North Remembers Lady: Was that message she gave Sansa from Brienne? Damn, that guy sure didn't waste any time.

Myranda and Sansa: Awww, a besties scene! It's good to know that Sansa is such a smooth player that she will immediately trust a girl she doesn't know and walk into a super sketchy dark kennel that doesn't at all look like a trap.

Bolton Family Breakfast: The tone of this scene was just bizarre. It seems like the writers have no idea how they want Ramsay to behave. Is he sweet, is he manipulative, is he vulnerable and sensitive as to the story of his mother? He is all of these things at once! I'm just not sure what the writers want us to feel about the scenes. If it is equal parts awkwardness and boredom then they did a good job.

Sam and Gilly: Mentioning of the Citadel. Maybe Sam will be going to Oldtown after all? Good thing she got out of there before Stannis could go to town on her grammar.

Stannis and Sam: It seems as if there was no point to this scene.

Selyse filled up her asshole quota for the episode. What Mel? You couldn't flash Jon one last look at your goods before you set off? Seems like a missed opportunity, D&D.

More Missy and GW. The love that can not die and that everyone wishes would.

Dany is forcing Hiz into a marriage? What the hell is going on here?

Tyrion and Jorah: I actually liked the moment where Tyrion sees the dragon. Good thing they decided to immediately undercut it with the Stone Men fight scene. It was all right, I guess (though why were they hissing?) Mainly I'm disappointed that the fabled ruins of Valyria are just kind of a swampy mess that would apparently be fine if the world didn't send its greyscale population there. Why do they do that again? Nice work on the fake blackout. Though I could have done without Jorah's cheesy zombie bite reveal. Where the hell are they going with that?

So all in all, better than last week, but still so damn uninteresting. Looking forward to reading everyone's thoughts.

So I guess the best thing I can say about this episode is that it was more boring than anything. It didn't have me violently rolling my eyes like last week's offering, but that's largely because I was fighting to keep my eyes open through most of it.

Initial thoughts:

Dany and the dragons: Yes, burning an innocent man alive seems like a fitting tribute to Barristan's memory. It's good to see that the speech he gave her about her crazy people burning father did not fall on deaf ears.

Jon/Sam/Aemon: Wow, they managed to take two of my favorite conversations from the books (Aemon's sorrow at not being there for Dany and "Kill the boy.") and dispatch them in a passionless one minute long scene. To me this is one of the best examples of how, even when they manage to hit points in the book, they totally botch the emotional weight that makes those scenes great.

Jon and Tormund: At least we finally get a mention of the WW. Why do they only ever come up in these conversations as an afterthought? It was the same way with the NW meeting. Loved the oh so necessary pointing out of Olly in that scene, too.

Oooooh, watch out for Sassy Stannis the Grammar Nazi.

As if the earlier mention wasn't enough, Jon and Olly get their own dramatic scene! Awwwww.

Ramsay and Myranda: Oh good, I was worrying we wouldn't get our requisite tit scene in this episode. It's good to see that they've watered him down from barely contained psychopath to a guy in a 50 Shades of Grey type relationship. So much more compelling.

Sansa and The North Remembers Lady: Was that message she gave Sansa from Brienne? Damn, that guy sure didn't waste any time.

Myranda and Sansa: Awww, a besties scene! It's good to know that Sansa is such a smooth player that she will immediately trust a girl she doesn't know and walk into a super sketchy dark kennel that doesn't at all look like a trap.

Bolton Family Breakfast: The tone of this scene was just bizarre. It seems like the writers have no idea how they want Ramsay to behave. Is he sweet, is he manipulative, is he vulnerable and sensitive as to the story of his mother? He is all of these things at once! I'm just not sure what the writers want us to feel about the scenes. If it is equal parts awkwardness and boredom then they did a good job.

Sam and Gilly: Mentioning of the Citadel. Maybe Sam will be going to Oldtown after all? Good thing she got out of there before Stannis could go to town on her grammar.

Stannis and Sam: It seems as if there was no point to this scene.

Selyse filled up her asshole quota for the episode. What Mel? You couldn't flash Jon one last look at your goods before you set off? Seems like a missed opportunity, D&D.

More Missy and GW. The love that can not die and that everyone wishes would.

Dany is forcing Hiz into a marriage? What the hell is going on here?

Tyrion and Jorah: I actually liked the moment where Tyrion sees the dragon. Good thing they decided to immediately undercut it with the Stone Men fight scene. It was all right, I guess (though why were they hissing?) Mainly I'm disappointed that the fabled ruins of Valyria are just kind of a swampy mess that would apparently be fine if the world didn't send its greyscale population there. Why do they do that again. Nice work on the fake blackout. Though I could have done without Jorah's cheesy zombie bite reveal. Where the hell are they going with that?

So all in all, better than last week, but still so damn uninteresting. Looking forward to reading everyone's thoughts.

Amazing recap....bravo!

The Grey Worm/Missandei subplot would be more tolerable if there was a foreseeable end-point to all of it. Most if not all of the other subplots in the show have a direct or probable relation with the game of thrones but seems like forced melodrama.

Also, how did Tyrion and Jorah get back to land? By deus ex machina?

So much better than last week. However,

DO I NEED TO SEE RAMSAY'S ASS? Come on. Hes the nastiest fuck in all of Planetos/GRRTH, whatever you call it. Is it necessary to see the evil goods? Not really into it. Also, Myranda needs to go and stay go. Shes really useless.

Sansa meeting Theon that way was kinda dumb. It would have been more interesting if we had their first meeting at dinner.

What the hell are they doing with Dany? It isnt that hard to keep to the books here. Dany doesnt feed guys to her dragons. Dany is suggested that she marry Hizdahr by...Hizdahr if i recall. They messed this up really bad.

What are they doing with Sam? Its like they dont know what to do with him, so they keep putting him in scenes.

FUCK OFF, OLLY, AND YOUR GODDAMN SALT. I HOPE THEY KILL YOU OFF. BETTER YOU THAN SHIREEN, FUCKER.

I'm very uncomfortable with Dany's "proposal" to Hizdahr. The guy goes from fearing for his life and genuinely believing he's about to be eaten alive by her dragons to being told he has no choice but to marry her. If they sleep together, I won't be able to see it as anything but marital rape because that dude is not willing. What they wanted to portray as an empowered moment on Dany's behalf turned into a very sketchy scene.

The Grey Worm/Missandei subplot would be more tolerable if there was a foreseeable end-point to all of it. Most if not all of the other subplots in the show have a direct or probable relation with the game of thrones but seems like forced melodrama.

Not only did they get back to land, but they're apparently miles away from the ruins. I guess Jorah swam or walked all the way out with an unconscious Tyrion on his back.

It would be more tolerable until I remember they cut LSH because they did not have "time" for that..... but we have time for GW+M= 0

Um, What the Fuck? People giving this a 10.

I will say that Iwan Rheon can act. He's the only person who is able to "act" in a way that you see the front he puts on and the emotion behind the front...yeah, I'm looking at you Aiden Gillen, who can't do that for s**.

Sansa Stark. My oh my. Can they make this girl any stupider? Some woman comes to her and offers her help and she just stands there like a dumbass? Says nothing, just goes to look at the tower. Then, she glares at the Boltons and is rude to them during dinner -- hey, honey, they flay people alive, this is not the way to win friends and influence people.

And what happened to Dany? She is crazier now in the show than she was i the books. Don't give up on your children but you leave the fucking dragons chained up. And in the blink of an eye decide to get married.

Poor Jorah. I admit I never expected greyscale was going to be any big deal in the books, but I guess it is.

Also, looks like we will get Oldtown and Euron next year.

Did I mention that Sansa is stupider now than she was when she was supposed to be 11? How can anyone watch that and think this is an empowered person? Or a person who has any basic skills of survival or manipulation?

Not only did they get back to land, but they're apparently miles away from the ruins. I guess Jorah swam or walked all the way out with an unconscious Tyrion on his back.

Exactly!

My initial thoughts: http://gotgifsandmusings.tumblr.com/post/118662836502/got-5x05-musings

I'll rant later but for now it's off to bed...that episode was warm milk.

Eta

Oh and don't forget to vote for most butchered: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1tET9HSUQtYwKhYCL3rHpv1VGtCj00vQ-7Y3jwrVTtHM/viewform

Archived