[BOOK SPOILERS] Rant and Rave Without Repercussion

teemo

Didn't have a problem with Valyria. You barely see it, and the result is them getting attacked by stonemen and Jorah getting greyscale. They kept most of the ruins out of sight so it still leaves much to the imagination. Glad we actually got a glimpse.

I didn't like the Ramsey bedroom scene. Loved the dinner scene. Sansa knows she's indispensable at this point so she can flex some muscle, she is just unaware that it might not matter at all to Ramsey because he's a psycho.

The Wall stuff was great character work. Stannis is great in every scene lately. Maybe it's just because this is the first time he interacts with major characters not in his sphere. Kind of bummed he's leaving the Wall this early, but it moves the plot along. Something big is happening here.

I do agree with the Missandei and Grey Worm stuff. It reeks of the writers just really loving characters and giving them air time.

Dany was so-so. But I didn't mind her going off the deep end a bit. She just lost her most trusted advisor. A reckoning was due. It sped up the plot from the books.

All in all more good than bad.

I am fortunate in that I saw Ramsay's actor when he was Simon on Misfits, so no matter how horrible his character is the actor, to me, will always be the fellow who got arrested for pissing through a letterbox to put out a fire to save a cat, LOL.

And yes, 100% agree on Olly, how on earth could they replace Dolorous Edd with that worthless character? :(

Given it's D&D I would expect a real heavy handed metaphor. What's odd to think about sometimes is Olly is a year older than Jon when he got to the wall. The actor is 15. It's actually something from the show that can add context to the books. Like Benjen saying give it a few years, and no you are not going North with me, you are as Green as it gets. I actually would of prefered all the kids to be a little older in the books.

Not much good in this episode. I quite enjoyed the Bolton / Sansa meal but apart from that I was just thoroughly bored. Of all the shit to cut out from the books and they keep the pointless hissing greyscalers fight scene. Blah

The Grey Worm bits were dreadful, worse than usual, i'm racking my brains trying to figure out where D&D are going with this and all signs point to a totally necessary sexposition scene of GW and Missy scissoring

At least Aidan Gillen wasn't in this one, silver lining and all that.

So the Doom of Valyria, which wiped out the greatest civilization Planetos has ever seen, killing countless dragons and sorcerers, that spawned horrifying tales of demons and monsters that terrify even the most hardened of sailors, has as its only apparent after effect that it is a bit foggy? Really, book version an entire peninsula goes Krakatoa, show version, eh, nothing a bit of spackle and a few tapestries won't fix.

Also, how the hell do you sail across Valyria in an afternoon, in a glorified fucking rowboat?!?!

Btw they totally missed an opportunity from last episode.

"Hey Olly I know your upset about the wildlings killing your family, but I just had to make nice with the man who was responsible for betraying and killing my brother, stepmother, forming an alliance with the people who killed my father, taking my home and father's title because it was for the good of The Watch. The Wildlings will be a lot more deadly and cause more death and destruction as wights than they would if we let them stay on this side of the wall and have their own plot of land. Sometimes we have to do things that hurt us because it is better for everyone in the long run",

Happy Mother's Day, Fat Walda

This made me laugh. Well done.

Speaking of, I think that we should all be thankful that in the midst of such a busy season that the writers took the time to give us a moment wherein Ramsay tells a juvenile "Fat Walda is fat" joke. It really made the episode for me. Stay classy, Cogman.

So the Doom of Valyria, which wiped out the greatest civilization Planetos has ever seen, killing countless dragons and sorcerers, that spawned horrifying tales of demons and monsters that terrify even the most hardened of sailors, has as its only apparent after effect that it is a bit foggy? Really, book version an entire peninsula goes Krakatoa, show version, eh, nothing a bit of spackle and a few tapestries won't fix.

Also, how the hell do you sail across Valyria in an afternoon, in a glorified fucking rowboat?!?!

Totally. The ruins of Valyria seem like they would be an awesome vacation spot if everyone on Planetos didn't send their greyscale infected people there. You'd think there would be all kinds of interesting knowledge and valuable loot for the taking, but I guess making it into one giant leper colony was really the right way to go.

Archived