GreyScale What is It and its Significance ?

mirthula

[bEWARE LOTS OF SPOILERS BELOW]

Exactly the connection i was trying to make!

There are increasing connections being made that lead to the notion that Dragonstone is not just any island.

Its vulcanic nature, the presence of dragonglass (They mentioned it in this last epidode!! They would not mention such a thing if that was not relevant). The stone dragons in dragonstone that await patiently will be awoken one day not too far ahead.

The doom of Valyria split the land and (almost) created the narrow sea. In between this sea lies this island with gigantic sleeping stone dragons, volcanic in nature as Valyria and full of dragonglass.

Is it just one more hint towards the Jon+Shireen? Is it the hint of something much bigger? I have been musing long at the possible importance of Dragonstone in Dragon lore.I remember from the books the constant feeling that the island could very well come alive, just flap its stone wings and fly away.

I would not be surprised if one of these things would actually occur, eventually.

In the end it may have not been just a chance that a Baratheon and not another lord (Arryn or Stark) had claimed the throne after Aerys.

Gruf

That'a bit too much like Robin Hobb's Farseer books. Also, greyscale appeared with Garin's Curse. When was Dragonstone built?

Not familiar with those books... but the fact that greyscale in humans is documented only much later does not mean that it could not be involved in the Stone Dragon of Dragonstone. Or maybe it isn't ^__^

Still the Stone Dragon is cool :D

Dragonstone was taken and built 200 years before the Doom.

The destruction of the Rhoynar and subsequent cursing of the Valyrian invaders by Prince Garin was around 600 years before the Doom.

So you could probably assume a gap of at least 400 years between Dragonstone being built and the curse (i.e. greyscale) starting to appear. So I don't think they are connected in any way. I think it is just called grey"scale" because if gives you stone-like scaly skin and the Valyrians, who were probably the first to experience it and study it probably likened it to their dragon's scales.

Mithras - I foresee exactly the same scenario.

Why does it make you gag?

This could all just be cutting to a point in the books we haven't read yet. Book Dany may leave SB in a pestilent corpse ridden ruin also.

BTW, I don't think show Dany will leave SB until season 6. The greyscale outbreak will start near the end of Season 5, I think.

Mithras - I foresee exactly the same scenario.

Why does it make you gag?

This could all just be cutting to a point in the books we haven't read yet. Book Dany may leave SB in a pestilent corpse ridden ruin also.

BTW, I don't think show Dany will leave SB until season 6. The greyscale outbreak will start near the end of Season 5, I think.

This possibility is disgusting because it would be a huge whitewashing of Dany. I know some people producing similar theories to keep Dany's precious honor clean (they claim that Meereen will be burned by Viserion and Rhaegal while Dany is away so her problems will be solved at once and she will have no reason to stay when she turns back).

I also didnot like the dragonfeeding moment of Dany. Those former slave masters are not meant to be sympathetic. Nothing connects the auidence to them, so I do not think any show watcher was bothered when Dany fed one of them to her dragons just to show that she could.

To show her true face, D&D should have kept the wineseller's daughters. But then again, D&D are Lannistargaryen fanboys.

This possibility is disgusting because it would be a huge whitewashing of Dany. I know some people producing similar theories to keep Dany's precious honor clean (they claim that Meereen will be burned by Viserion and Rhaegal while Dany is away so her problems will be solved at once and she will have no reason to stay when she turns back).

I also didnot like the dragonfeeding moment of Dany. Those former slave masters are not meant to be sympathetic. Nothing connects the auidence to them, so I do not think any show watcher was bothered when Dany fed one of them to her dragons just to show that she could.

To show her true face, D&D should have kept the wineseller's daughters. But then again, D&D are Lannistargaryen fanboys.

I agree that the show is whitewashing some elements of Dany, to make her more heroic/sympathetic on TV. But, I think the show is doing this so the audience is more surprised when she goes full fire and blood mode, not because of some kind of Dany favoritism.

I thought the dragon feeding was a good idea, just not executed perfectly.

I don't know that D&D are Lannistargareon fanboys - but I think they will write around their actors. I think this is something fans overlook - show Tyrion, for instance, has a massive fanbase. Half of that fanbase formed on the charisma and acting ability of Dinklage. If Dinklage considers it demeaning for his character to be enslaved and joust on a pig for the chuckles of some fat man, then the show might have to work around that to keep Dinklage on board. I'm not saying that exactly this has happened, it's just an example - but I would suggest that the actors have some say in what can an cannot happen to their characters and that is fair enough, because they have helped make those characters household names.

If Jorah is getting Connington's role he'll cause a pandemic is Westeros, not Essos.

Nothing suggests that Connington will start a pandemic in Westeros.

The disease is already in Westeros in all of its forms. The most dangerous version is of course grey plague and if JonCon got that, he would not come so far. The last grey plague pandemic occurred in Oldtown while Pycelle was young. A recent pandemic occurred in Pentos and it didnot spread to other Free Cities or Westeros, although we know that ships never cease to come and go.

Can greyscale mutate into grey plague? Can greyscale in remission (Shireen) come back as grey plague? Grey scale is scary, but not terribly dangerous to communities, in that JonCon can walk around with it, knowing that so long as he's wearing gloves, he's not spreading it. He's a walking time bomb, nevertheless. Meanwhile, Jorah is bringing greyscale to Meereen, and we know a plague is supposed to hit Meereen.

I wonder if Jorah will ever face a choice of whether to intentionally spread Greyscale in some attempt to help Dany. We haven't seen moral dilemmas from Jorah since he chose to save Dany from the poison in season 1, so he's been able to coast along as a badass good guy interspersed with sad.

It seems like the books are making a big creepy foreshadowing deal about Shireen and greyscale at the Wall. But who knows. The show hasn't had a wildling freak out over Shireen yet, or broken out in creepy songs.

There will be an outbreak of the grey plague. The disease can obviously mutate, and my guess Jon/Jorah will turn out to be a carrier of the disease - he'll will die relatively slowly but the people he is going to infect - and those they infect - will die like flies.

Connington and Jorah both may have infected themselves at the origin of the plague. ADwD claims the waters of the Rhoyne in Chroyane are still poisonous and evil due to Garin's Curse, and Connington got infected there.

But even if Connington is not going to spread the grey plague he'll spread the adult version of greyscale, that's for sure. It may have already begun - the moron is soaking his infected fingers in wine. Some poor servant-girl is going to clean them later on - victim #1. And so on.

I am not a big of Dany but that seriously sucks to have deal with the pandemic in Mereen, she conquered a city to free its people not to annihilate them but it seem more and more like that is what she wants to do, if can't change them get rid of them.

I think Jorah has already crossed the line of moral ambiguity. He is so hung up on Dany that he is going to lie to Tyrion about being infected and start traveling with him without being honest about it. If Jorah is thinking of the greater good he should first isolate himself and figure out a way to find a cure not expose himself where he puts others at risk.

So yeah it will be a ironcal on Jorah's part that he thinks he is going to help Dany but he is only bringing death to her.

[bEWARE LOTS OF SPOILERS BELOW]

Exactly the connection i was trying to make!

There are increasing connections being made that lead to the notion that Dragonstone is not just any island.

Its vulcanic nature, the presence of dragonglass (They mentioned it in this last epidode!! They would not mention such a thing if that was not relevant). The stone dragons in dragonstone that await patiently will be awoken one day not too far ahead.

The doom of Valyria split the land and (almost) created the narrow sea. In between this sea lies this island with gigantic sleeping stone dragons, volcanic in nature as Valyria and full of dragonglass.

Is it just one more hint towards the Jon+Shireen? Is it the hint of something much bigger? I have been musing long at the possible importance of Dragonstone in Dragon lore.I remember from the books the constant feeling that the island could very well come alive, just flap its stone wings and fly away.

I would not be surprised if one of these things would actually occur, eventually.

In the end it may have not been just a chance that a Baratheon and not another lord (Arryn or Stark) had claimed the throne after Aerys.

Gruf

Doom didn't create narrow sea, narrow sea and dragonstone were there long before doom. The importance of dragonstone is that it is one of few remaining example of valyrian engineering and technology and the only one present in westeros.

I wonder if the pale mare and greyscale will just become greyscale in the show?

I do think that sickness is going to be a big part of the shows conclusion - I'm still sure ASoIaF/GoTs is heading towards an apocalypse for the end game, with plagues playing as much a part as rampant cannibalism, white walkers and dragons - but I also think that because the show is hellbent on streamlining everything ATM (which is a good or bad thing, depending on your perspective) that we wont get an outbreak of the runs on screen along with the dragon skin.

^ I can see that happening

Not as far as we know. But the idea is that the Valyrians magical cross-breeding experiments involving themselves and dragons gave them some dragon features and the greyscale curse/spell sort of ripped a fraction of this dragon element from the Valyrians and turned it into a deadly disease.

But perhaps nothing is going to happen to Shireen for the time being and she is simply going to cause a pandemic. It is pretty obvious that Jon Connington in the books and Jorah in the show are set up to ruin things by causing a pandemic. It is easily possible that Jorah/Jon will be able to spread the grey plague as a carrier - they die only slowly or not at all while the people infected by them will have only days or weeks. That will be fun!

George said ADwD was supposed to be a 'about disease' before it came out. The Pale Mare covered an aspect of it but not as thoroughly as one would expect, and the grey plague has yet to show up. But it will come. Jon Connington has set it up. People tend to overlook or ignore the effect his sickness will have on Aegon's cause and the Realm as a whole. He may even infect Aegon - however I think his purpose is to start and epidemic only to be put down quickly by his friends. As soon as there is one greyscale patient in the Stormlands Haldon and Aegon will connect the dots...

I think it is much more straighforward than that. I think that the Stone Beast that breathes Shadowfire is a Griffin.

Meaning Jon Connington, of course, and the Shadowfire is the Grey Plague, creating hordes of undead for the Other's armies in the South.

• 2 weeks later...

Its my theory that greyscale is brought to Westeros and reaches epidemic proportions, at least in KL. Someone will have to take control of KL to prevent total chaos. That may be one reason the show's producers are keeping Jaime in the South rather than headed North toward the Neck. For book readers, think about greyscale and read the conversation between Pycelle and Jaime while Jaime is standing vigil over Tywin's body.

Archived