Old Valyria and the Doom

D-Shiznit

No man I did not like that at all. No man living can venture into Valyria and return back. It sounded so creepy in the books, with volcanoes still active with fire and ash still spreading, sea still so hot that it is supposed to be bubbling. They took out all the mystical stuff out of it by showing the place, like it looked so normal yeah some broken down buildings and some stonemen that is OK though dany dragons can roast them now she is fast training her dragons to become expert in this field of roasting people alive.

I actually predicted that this will happen in the books that Dany ultimate end will be return to the doom of Valyria with her dragons and will never be seen again because well because no one can survive Valyria. Now that we have seen the place it is all good, Dany has a home now she can rebuild Valyria that is the end of her journey and she will happily ever after.

No man living can venture into Valyria and return back.

So stonemen aren't alive?

I liked seeing Valyria - it kind of makes some things clear that the books can't, because the POVs are all primitive and somewhat superstitious - ie: Valyria isn't that bad, it just has a bad rep. yea, it's got stonemen, and greyscale is like magic leprosy bad - but the ruins themselves are just ruins, given more medieval POV hype than is required, in the books.

So stonemen aren't alive?

I liked seeing Valyria - it kind of makes some things clear that the books can't, because the POVs are all primitive and somewhat superstitious - ie: Valyria isn't that bad, it just has a bad rep. yea, it's got stonemen, and greyscale is like magic leprosy bad - but the ruins themselves are just ruins, given more medieval POV hype than is required, in the books.

Ya I like the idea that Valyria is more hype and supersition. That in reality it is just a very very old ancient and awesome ruin that came down because of some terrible fate. No demons and other crazy stuff...well other then Stone Men.

Stonemen dont stay in Valyria in the books.

If Valyria is not so bad then we should have more expeditions who knows what treasure are hiding in the ruins, afterall Valyrians had coolest stuff of their age. We need more Valyrian steel and dragon horns and magical stuff. Sam would have the time of his life exploring.

No man I did not like that at all. No man living can venture into Valyria and return back. It sounded so creepy in the books, with volcanoes still active with fire and ash still spreading, sea still so hot that it is supposed to be bubbling. They took out all the mystical stuff out of it by showing the place, like it looked so normal yeah some broken down buildings and some stonemen that is OK though dany dragons can roast them now she is fast training her dragons to become expert in this field of roasting people alive.

I actually predicted that this will happen in the books that Dany ultimate end will be return to the doom of Valyria with her dragons and will never be seen again because well because no one can survive Valyria. Now that we have seen the place it is all good, Dany has a home now she can rebuild Valyria that is the end of her journey and she will happily ever after.

The legends about what the Smoking Sea is like are not necessarily accurate.

They should've just made this Chroyane. Don't get me wrong, it's good that the show does more exposition about the doom. Last time was way back in Qarth, after all.

But what they have shown is much less impressive than what is described in the books. It's also completely different.

The red skies at least should've been in.

I can deal with them going to Valyria instead of the Ryone (Tyrion and Jorah finishing each others quotes from Valyrian history books was nice, better then Jorah just monologing about the Ryonish. I do not see how stone men being delivered to Valyria is suppose to work tho? Surely they're brought by sailors? Aren't they the ones that perpetuate these superstitions?

Valyria is less Atlantis and more Pompei. Got no problem with it, It allowed D+D to get two characters talking about it.

I can deal with them going to Valyria instead of the Ryone (Tyrion and Jorah finishing each others quotes from Valyrian history books was nice, better then Jorah just monologing about the Ryonish. I do not see how stone men being delivered to Valyria is suppose to work tho? Surely they're brought by sailors? Aren't they the ones that perpetuate these superstitions?

Well, how does it work in the books? People send them off their as well somehow.

How awesome? 0/10 awesome, that's how. Why exactly are pirates afraid of going here??

Yeah, I don't think that's in the books, but it's ok because there is a general dread of bad things dwelling in Valyria on the page, more than just Stonmen, lots of unknown deadly stuff.

They did a good job of portraying a portion of Valyria, in fact almost my mind=eye view of that the book hints at.

What with the SUPER DUPER JUMP CUT!!?

Tyrion goes under, fade to black (I thought the episode was over!) then wango bango Jorah and Tyrion are 143 miles away on a beach!

I think the deal about Valyria is that it just blew up like the island of santorini on much larger scale. Where the large land mass had been, now there is just few islands. It can't be resettled because of earthquake and volcano. While it might be cool to visit the ruins, I am not certiain one could find relics and such unless you are jacque cousteau

Sailors and pirates avoid due to superstition. They have protection spells cast just if they need to pass the Doom. Some go there on purpose like King Tommen II and possibly Euron, who knows

The thing about sending those with greyscale to Valyria is dumb, dumb, dumb. I mean they could have made some other excuse how they got there like sailors had tossed those with signs of any disease before crossing the narrow sea. If there were a real reason to avoid the place then I doubt Jorah would pick it as shortcut dismissing pirate superstition

What an awful scene:

The smoking sea looks like fog.

If that was the actual Valryia thats in the books then it would be bustling with life from people re-settling it.

Treasure Hunters would have picked the city clean if they only had to chop through some mindless stone men.

Sending stonemen to Valryia? The expense of that would bankrupt families.

Archived