[book spoilers] Oldtown

Mos

In the book they explain that the Boltons still practice an ancient outlawed tradition known as the "First Night", where the Lord has the right to bed any woman married on his lands before her husband. This is the real reason that Roose kills the woman's husband, for denying him his lordly rights. However, my understanding is that in general, one does need the permission of a liege lord to be married.

Ok that makes more sense. how did his mother die after she gave the baby to roose did she kill herself.

i dont get it how come the boltons get away with a lot of crap before the war started.

bedding tradition i heard was banned by the targaryen king and i think flaying was banned by the starks who were warden of the north. it seems like the boltons did a bunch of evil crap behind everyone backs. boltons always had troubled relations with the starks but where they all this nuts.

Crazy wild theory time (cause why not ?) :

Arya will kill Trant in episode 9.

Sam will arrive in Braavos in episode 10 (I think they could have been able to hide John Bradley in Croatia or shot his potential scenes there at Belfast in studios) and meet Arya on the run from the Faceless Men after her personal kill. She'll embark with him to Oldtown and the Citadel and be part of the storyline there (maybe take up some of Sarella's plot)if (and all that crazy wild speculation lays on that fragile "if") the show decides to feature the Maester arc/ conspiracy / plot / trainings or whatever.

I was thinking something like this as well, however, I believe most of it will be holding off until next season.

If Aemon dies in E07 and Sam and Gilly leave for Oldtown in the same episode, that might as well be their lost appearance of the season. Meanwhile, I believe Arya's storyline for the season will end with her going blind. Then, early in season 6 she will regain her sight and the Faceless Men will send her on a new mission - in Oldtown. With Sansa going to Winterfell we know the producers are not afraid of huge deviations from the source material, so I wouldn't be surprised if Arya will take on Jaqen's storyline in ADwD/TWoW, whatever his reason for being there might be.

Sam and Gilly could make a brief stop in Braavos say episodes 6.01 - 6.02, and when they leave for Oldtown again Arya is onboard. (Also, I think it would be great if Salladhor Saan was the one taking them there by ship. I'd love to see that guy again).

Now, if Oldtown is in I just have to assume that the Ironborn will play a part in it, too. What if they're holding on to some part of the Ironborn plot in AFfC until season 6? Maybe Yara isn't going to the North this season (Right now I'm leaning towards Brienne taking some variation of her storyline) and instead returns to the Iron Islands in the season 6 premiere? Balon could die early on, Euron shows up and Yara does whatever Yara does (Maybe heading for Winterfell in S06 instead) while Euron takes the Ironborn to conquer the Reach.

Ok that makes more sense. how did his mother die after she gave the baby to roose did she kill herself.

i dont get it how come the boltons get away with a lot of crap before the war started.

bedding tradition i heard was banned by the targaryen king and i think flaying was banned by the starks who were warden of the north. it seems like the boltons did a bunch of evil crap behind everyone backs. boltons always had troubled relations with the starks but where they all this nuts.

I don't think it's ever said what becomes of Ramsay's mother after she brings him to the Dreadfort. I could be wrong, but I did a little searching and didn't find anything.

As far as how the Boltons got away with so much, well, the North is a very large place. The Boltons bent the knee to the Starks, but they still had a lot of autonomy on their own lands. Flaying was banned by the Starks, but the Boltons were said to continue carrying it out in secret, even going so far as to have a hidden room in The Dreadfort where they kept flayed skins and other grisly trophies. The ritual of First Night was banned by Jaeharys I, but again, unless there was someone willing/able to bring it to the attention of the King, then it could continue. Roose claims that the Umbers also practice First Night, though they claim not to. At any rate, it doesn't appear to be something that Roose or the other Boltons did all the time. The Boltons probably weren't all as cruel as Ramsay and Roose, but they do have a pretty grim history. You don't get a flayed man as your sigil and have your seat called The Dreadfort for nothing.

Yeah, I think the Sam scene where he explains how he always wanted to be a maester is foreshadowing him going to Oldtown. Aemon's gonna die and that will justify sending Sam there so that he can replace him.

Wasn't this always kind of a crackpot scheme? I mean wasn't it going to take years for Sam to become a maester, or would they let him test out of the coursework?

Aemon dies, then Sam and Gilly go. More teleportation, straight to Oldtown. I doubt there'll be any more of them in this season since Euron hasn't happened.

Which is a shame. I kind of love the actress who plays Gilly, in a weird, Penny-esque sort of way.

*IF* Sam goes to Oldtown, he won't be teleporting. He wouldn't arrive until next season. And the stop in Braavos could still be in.

And this "teleporting" crap is so darn juvenile... You do realize that times passes between scenes and episodes?

I don't get why people find teleporting a problem. Not much would happen without the teleporting.

I think Sam and Gilly will leave together with Jon and Tormund to Eastwatch episode 7. Sam will take a ship to Braavos and Jon will go to Hardhome.

Wasn't this always kind of a crackpot scheme? I mean wasn't it going to take years for Sam to become a maester, or would they let him test out of the coursework?

why is that such a bad idea to release sam for some years to become a maester. doesn't the lord commander have the authority to make this happen and it is an advantage for the nights watch to have a maester serving them.

but what might happen is sam might not have time to become a maester because walkers have attacked the wall and if he finds out any new info he has to get back to help them out afterall they are his family now. maybe he figures out about the dragons and goes to dany to get her to help.

but at the end of GOT it is quite possible for Sam to return back to the citadel and finish his studies and become a maester. i don't think he is going to abandon the watch and settle happily ever after with gilly.

I don't get why people find teleporting a problem. Not much would happen without the teleporting.

I think Sam and Gilly will leave together with Jon and Tormund to Eastwatch episode 7. Sam will take a ship to Braavos and Jon will go to Hardhome.

it does bother me a little bit but i agree with you we have to let it go otherwise story will not move. we have to be realistic sometimes about our expectations, people complain the story is going too slow and if it goes too fast we have a problem with that aswell.

that raven from KL arrived very fast to Winterfell to reach LF, but how else would they have shown roose and LF interacting they can't have LF camping out twiddling his thumbs waiting for some raven to arrive so he can finally be gone.

Or your froyo, the day it develops sentience and becomes a threat.

Maybe I dreamed this but I recall that GRRM said something about visiting Casterly Rock, Oldtown and that side of Westeros in Season 6. If I run across the source again, I will post it.

Edited to say that I hope there is a big story in Oldtown at the Citadel.

*IF* Sam goes to Oldtown, he won't be teleporting. He wouldn't arrive until next season. And the stop in Braavos could still be in.

And this "teleporting" crap is so darn juvenile... You do realize that times passes between scenes and episodes?

I've come to accept that travel that would ordinarily takes weeks or months happens onscreen with a scene change.

It always amazed me how fast Cat got to KL, back with Robb, then back south with Renly, and back again. Same for LF and Melisandre.

Maybe I dreamed this but I recall that GRRM said something about visiting Casterly Rock, Oldtown and that side of Westeros in Season 6. If I run across the source again, I will post it.

Edited to say that I hope there is a big story in Oldtown at the Citadel.

He said that he wanted to write those areas into his next books.

I don't think it's ever said what becomes of Ramsay's mother after she brings him to the Dreadfort. I could be wrong, but I did a little searching and didn't find anything.

As far as how the Boltons got away with so much, well, the North is a very large place. The Boltons bent the knee to the Starks, but they still had a lot of autonomy on their own lands. Flaying was banned by the Starks, but the Boltons were said to continue carrying it out in secret, even going so far as to have a hidden room in The Dreadfort where they kept flayed skins and other grisly trophies. The ritual of First Night was banned by Jaeharys I, but again, unless there was someone willing/able to bring it to the attention of the King, then it could continue. Roose claims that the Umbers also practice First Night, though they claim not to. At any rate, it doesn't appear to be something that Roose or the other Boltons did all the time. The Boltons probably weren't all as cruel as Ramsay and Roose, but they do have a pretty grim history. You don't get a flayed man as your sigil and have your seat called The Dreadfort for nothing.

When I first started reading the books and it seemed more like a "good vs evil" type deal I was always confused with how the Boltons were allies of the Starks, with the flaying and the Dreadfort. I always thought, they just sound like the bad guys. This was before I realized that ASOIAF was turning the conventions on their ears.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived