[Book Spoilers] Howland Reed?

As soon as I saw the older man that Brienne and Pod met I automatically assumed it was Howland Reed. Brienne tells him she swore an oath to Cat and he immediately points out that fact that she is dead to which Brienne replies "that does not release me from an oath". Now if that really is Howland Reed the significance of that line would be parallel to his oath(Tower of Joy secret) he pledged Ned Stark. That scene could have very well been a setup for the great R + L = J reveal. Thoughts?

Seems like that's reaching quite a bit. Nothing about his appearance or behavior suggested it was Howland Reed in any way. I sincerely hope that the first time Howland Reed is seen in public in like 20 years isn't by Brienne and Pod at some random inn.

Why would Howland Reed be pretending to be a servant in an inn next to Winterfell

In a show/book with this many twists and turns are you really asking that question? Being that the show seems to be setting itself up for the big R+L=J reveal I would imagine it would be important to introduce the only known person with first hand knowledge of R+L=J. It isnt going to make any sense for anyone else but Howland Reed to be the one to make the reveal.

How could Howland Reed be that old man when he is the High Sparrow?

Explain how you came to this conclusion? First time I've heard that theory.

Seems like that's reaching quite a bit. Nothing about his appearance or behavior suggested it was Howland Reed in any way. I sincerely hope that the first time Howland Reed is seen in public in like 20 years isn't by Brienne and Pod at some random inn.

We really dont have any description of Howland Reed at all so I dont think we can write him off as totally not being Howland Reed. Besides if you know the story of the Knight of the Laughing Tree you'd know the mystery surrounding Howland Reed. What do you think the significance of that Brienne/Pod scene was? Looking at the dialog alone you can see that there was a reason D&D included this. He said he knew both Ned Stark and his father well and that is one thing Howland Reed can claim. After all that has happened around Winterfell I doubt there are many others still living who can claim that.

Given he hasn't even been mentioned in the show... I don't see him being important in how the show reveal plays out.

He was mentioned in S3 actually. He got quite a big mention from Jojen about being friends with Ned IIRC.

The show doesn't need Howland Reed to do the reveal. All they need is someone (anyone) to plant the seed in Jon's mind and he can take it from there. Could be Aemon, could be Stannis, could be Littlefinger, could be Sansa. Could be Sam, if he reads anything of import in the archives at the Wall and deduces anything from it.

Heck, they could have the

Night's King, during his speculated Hardhome appearance

say something off the wall like

let's spare this dude because I sense he's a Stark; no, not through your dad, it was (dun dun DUN) your mom!

The show doesn't need Howland Reed to do the reveal. All they need is someone (anyone) to plant the seed in Jon's mind and he can take it from there. Could be Aemon, could be Stannis, could be Littlefinger, could be Sansa. Could be Sam, if he reads anything of import in the archives at the Wall and deduces anything from it.

Heck, they could have the

Night's King, during his speculated Hardhome appearance

say something off the wall like

let's spare this dude because I sense he's a Stark; no, not through your dad, it was (dun dun DUN) your mom!

It cant be Aemon, Stannis Littlefinger or Sansa. For any of them to know they would have to find out from Howland Reed. He is the only living person that knows what happened because is also the only living person who was with Ned at the Tower of Joy.

I doubt it will happen at Hardhome or even this season. Before anything we need the "for the watch" scene to take place but more than likely whenever the reveal occurs Jon wont be the first to know and I doubt it will happen at the wall. When Jon does find out the biggest question is "well, now what?". I doubt it will mean anything to Jon in terms of his purpose in life without support from others. It would make the most sense for someone else to find out, tell a few others who are with the cause and then rally around Jon convincing him of his true purpose in life. Otherwise the big reveal would do nothing to alter the course of what is happening other than Jon being able to die knowing who his mother is.

Well, it probably depends on what is meant by knowing "what happened". If we're talking strictly about the TOJ events and Lyanna's promise, then you're probably right, barring some kind of supernatural revelation.

But as far as just putting a seed in Jon's mind that maybe his parentage isn't what he's been led to believe, it wouldn't take HR showing up. Stannis obviously suspects something isn't on the up-and-up, as does LF (and by extension Sansa, if he ever clues her in or she connects the dots herself). Aemon is a wild card, as we really have no idea whether he may have been in touch with Rhaegar. I think the show is specifically leading us down the path that someone other than HR is going to be the catalyst here.

I agree that it's probably not going to have a huge effect on Jon's perception of himself regardless, which makes it even less important for HR to "confirm" it for him. His whole arc has been self-denial.

As soon as I saw the older man that Brienne and Pod met I automatically assumed it was Howland Reed. Brienne tells him she swore an oath to Cat and he immediately points out that fact that she is dead to which Brienne replies "that does not release me from an oath". Now if that really is Howland Reed the significance of that line would be parallel to his oath(Tower of Joy secret) he pledged Ned Stark. That scene could have very well been a setup for the great R + L = J reveal. Thoughts?

So, if you think the old man is Howland Reed, I would like to know who do you think the old woman in Winterfell is.

LSH in disguise? Good Queen Alysanne reborn? :laugh:

I'm doubting we will even see HR in the show. It seems that Stannis/LF are onto Jon's true parentage in some form or fashion, and there is always the chance that when we get back to BR/Bran next season, it could be shown to Bran by BR in his training.

Given he hasn't even been mentioned in the show... I don't see him being important in how the show reveal plays out.

Yes he has. Jojen and Meera and Bran talk about their father and Ned. Its kind of brief but Jojen's little speech about how when Ned died, it was the first (and only) time he saw Howland cry. It was a memorable and rather touching moment.

Yeah, it's not Howland Reed.

Although Westerosi taverns are apparently Rooms of Requirement, where everyone meets exactly whom they need to meet, so it's possible...

No, not really. Definitely not Howland Reed.

When/if Ding & Dong decide to include Howland Reed, I'm sure they'll set him up by cramming an episode full of mentions and then VOILA - he shall appear.

Archived