Multiple AA's, Last Heroes and What Not.

Morienthar

So, let me start of by saying that the Last Hero and AA concept I believe will never actually be fully explained but we'll see a lot of people including Dany?, Jon and maybe even Stannis(Mr.Red Herring?) leading battles against the Others when the time comes, but the one thing I noticed in the TWOIAF book is that every culture has it's own version of the Last Hero, so many miles apart and some incredibly culturally different.

That brings me to my quite old theory that in every Long Night a large number of heroes emerge who are all in the end imortalized as the AA or Last Hero or Nefarion or whatever you want to call the guy/ gal, which now I believe is supported by the text as well.

1. According to these tales,
the return of the sun came only when a hero
convinced Mother Rhoyne’s many children—
lesser gods such as the Crab King and the Old
Man of the River—to put aside their bickering
and join together to sing a secret song that
brought back the day.

2. It is also written that there are annals in
Asshai of such a darkness, and of a hero who
fought against it with a red sword. His deeds are
said to have been performed before the rise of
Valyria, in the earliest age when Old Ghis was
first forming its empire. This legend has spread
west from Asshai, and the followers of R’hllor
claim that this hero was named Azor Ahai, and
prophesy his return.

3.How long the darkness endured no man can
say, but all agree that it was only when a great
warrior—known variously as Hyrkoon the Hero,
Azor Ahai, Yin Tar, Neferion, and Eldric
Shadowchaser—arose to give courage to the race
of men and lead the virtuous into battle with his
blazing sword Lightbringer that the darkness
was put to rout, and light and love returned once
more to the world

..."put aside their bickering and join together to sing a secret song that brought back the day."

This definitely feels like a reference to "A Song of Ice and Fire," even though I'm not sure how much of a true "song" the "Song of Ice and Fire" may be. "Putting aside their bickering" also reminds me of the original letter that GRRM sent to his editor to pitch the idea of A Song of Ice and Fire. The letter says something along the lines of "The Wolf and the Lion being forced to work together," I assume in regard to the threat of the Others.

As to the multiple hero theory, I said it before and I'll say it again. People will be arguing about who the "True Hero" of the series is well after all of the books have been published.

This definitely feels like a reference to "A Song of Ice and Fire," even though I'm not sure how much of a true "song" the "Song of Ice and Fire" may be. "Putting aside their bickering" also reminds me of the original letter that GRRM sent to his editor to pitch the idea of A Song of Ice and Fire. The letter says something along the lines of "The Wolf and the Lion being forced to work together," I assume in regard to the threat of the Others.

As to the multiple hero theory, I said it before and I'll say it again. People will be arguing about who the "True Hero" of the series is well after all of the books have been published.

This is actually really cool.

I thought the song of ice and fire referred to jon and dany being the hero's of the story.

Jon = ice

Dany = fire.

But as for the original topic,

1) Stannis will have no involvement in the fight against the others. The irony is too perfect. This guy hyped up to save the world is next to useless when it comes to saving the world.

And 2) I believe these are all one hero but the gods are fighting(as the rhoynar say) trying to take the credit for producing the hero. Or something like that, bottom line it's all the same person.

This is actually really cool.

I thought the song of ice and fire referred to jon and dany being the hero's of the story.

Jon = ice

Dany = fire.

But as for the original topic,

1) Stannis will have no involvement in the fight against the others. The irony is too perfect. This guy hyped up to save the world is next to useless when it comes to saving the world.

And 2) I believe these are all one hero but the gods are fighting(as the rhoynar say) trying to take the credit for producing the hero. Or something like that, bottom line it's all the same person.

The basic problem with all of them being the same person is the distances involved, from the Great Empire of Dawn to the Wall to Rhyone to probably everywhere else on Planetos. The size of the myth like most of our own warrior god/demi god myths are too large to be based around the same person.

Archived