The show isn’t diverting from the books that much after all.

Attitude

Did someone just say that Talisa is more believable than Jeyne Westerling? hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

noble lady from Volantis went to the Riverlands to work as a nurse on the battlefield. First of all, how did she go? Where was she staying? What was she eating? How come she wasn't raped multiple times by any of the soldiers she was encountering like other unprotected girls were in that area?

Her story doesn't make any sense at all and is so 20th-21st century.

Don't you see, she was EMPOWERED! Nobody mess with empowered girls! :bang: :bang:

God, this was hard to watch, but was still "swallowable" because it was an exception. Now, almost every character has reached Talisa's level of characterization.

It's the new norm on this show.

But if you start adapting before the story is written, what you suggest is impossible.

ASoIaF shouldn't have been sold for adaptation before it was finished - that is the lesson here. GRRM shouldn't have let his baby go before it was grown and D&D shouldn't have taken on a half baked child. I hope it works out alright and that they don't fuck the child up because of their combined shortsightedness.

This makes the assumption that if the books were already completed, D&D wouldn't make changes to the story. They would. They would need to. The books being completed don't really matter here, despite what some may think.

There is ZERO filler in Game of Thrones. Every single word is there for a reason. Even if you don't agree with the reason it is included. Nothing is there to make the book longer.

Perhaps you don't like it, or find it boring. That doesn't make it "filler." It is not.

Fixed that for you. Game of Thrones doesn't have the luxury of filler. They are scrambling to find enough time for writing, filming and airing the story. They have changed things in order to create specific results. That doesn't make it filler, especially if you call it that because you prefer the book version or don't understand why the change took place.

This makes the assumption that if the books were already completed, D&D wouldn't make changes to the story. They would. They would need to. The books being completed don't really matter here, despite what some may think.

Fixed that for you. Game of Thrones doesn't have the luxury of filler. They are scrambling to find enough time for writing, filming and airing the story. They have changed things in order to create specific results. That doesn't make it filler, especially if you call it that because you prefer the book version or don't understand why the change took place.

Well then why was Yara's attack on Dreadfort then created in the show? What purpose did it served?

Well then why was Yara's attack on Dreadfort then created in the show? What purpose did it served?

Indication of Theon's self awaremess, or lack of it. Which will come into play now that he takes back his name after his confrontation with Sansa. It was to prove how far gone he was.

ETA:

Also, I think there was an explanation that the scene was edited strangely, if I'm not mistaken. I say everything has a reason not that the show doesn't make mistakes.

Well, I'm sure GRRM would be glad to know he has such devoted stans, that's for sure. But for my part I think praising every fart that comes out the man's ass is counterproductive, and too much indulgence is...unhealthy

Then again, what do I know? I'm just an opinionated floppy fish. I'm sure there's an iron-clad reason for every single mossy rock GRRM includes in the books. Who knows, maybe Dick Straw turns out to be Azor Ahai and it makes everything worthwhile! And if not, I'm sure you dedicated fans can always find it in yourselves to justify every single little tree stump under the convenient label of (ahem) ~ world-building, or character development, or thematic depth, or athmospheric enhancement~

This is offensive really because nobody is forcing you to like something but we are just saying that what you call filler is really not filler. You can dislike it and complain about it as much as you want if you have reasons for that and if that is your opinion but don't call something filler if it is not filler. So we are not praising someone's farts but we are simply saying that it can't be farts because its liquid. It can be piss and it can be water and it can be champaign but it can't be farts. By the way Cortazar is even less economic then Martin and I love Cortazar. If Cortazar wrote ASOIAF it would be twice this size.

Indication of Theon's self awaremess, or lack of it. Which will come into play now that he takes back his name after his confrontation with Sansa. It was to prove how far gone he was.

ETA:

Also, I think there was an explanation that the scene was edited strangely, if I'm not mistaken. I say everything has a reason not that the show doesn't make mistakes.

Well then what was then point of shaving scene when Reek shaves Ramsay when Roose watches?

Well then what was then point of shaving scene when Reek shaves Ramsay when Roose watches?

That's a completely different scene. He would be expected to let the "Reek" character go in front of his sister. Well, if he could. But in front of Roose, it was a display of Ramsey's power over him for his father.

These recent posts have just reminded me that I will probably not be seeing anymore of Asha Greyjoy and probably no casting of Justin Massey. Bummer. Show Yara has said Theon is dead to her so I guess we won't be getting type of reunion between bro and sis. I want the IRONBORN back!

I think you will see Asha again. If not this season, the next one.

Please, I have experience in the business and I know for a FACT that there's a thing called word count and that publishers/editors ask writers to meet it.

But you know what, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe GRRM didn't fatten up that sorry cow called aFfC willingly because he realized he didn't have enough material or because he was trying to buy himself some time to work out the Meereenese Knot. Maybe he did it accidentally by getting caught up in Brienne's tangential wanderings, or Sam's...everything. And poor him, didn't have an editor to remind him of one of the cardinal rules for writing: economy.

Lol, you're serious!? Like, in any of your assertions?

Did someone just say that Talisa is more believable than Jeyne Westerling? hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

noble lady from Volantis went to the Riverlands to work as a nurse on the battlefield. First of all, how did she go? Where was she staying? What was she eating? How come she wasn't raped multiple times by any of the soldiers she was encountering like other unprotected girls were in that area?

Her story doesn't make any sense at all and is so 20th-21st century.

Exactly! It makes no sense. But someone did say that. I'm still waiting for a reply too :)

Don't you see, she was EMPOWERED! Nobody mess with empowered girls! :bang: :bang:

God, this was hard to watch, but was still "swallowable" because it was an exception. Now, almost every character has reached Talisa's level of characterization.

It's the new norm on this show.

Realism? From this show??

Example, Jamie and Bron Bro going to Dorne by ship, just the two of them, in a secret James Bond style mission. So did they go in disguise? No, Jamie frigin Lannister, the most hated man in Westeros, goes as himself, tells everyone in the ship who he is, but is OK coz he paid them in Lannister gold which guarantees their silence....whoops! They could have just said they were a couple of traders, it's not like TV show Westeros has photography or the internet....hold on a sec does it? But then we wouldn't have got that great Sand Snake scene which totally made up for the abandonment of realism and common sense.

So yeah I totally get that the TV show is pretty much the same as the books..

Game of Thrones doesn't have the luxury of filler. They are scrambling to find enough time for writing, filming and airing the story. They have changed things in order to create specific results. That doesn't make it filler, especially if you call it that because you prefer the book version or don't understand why the change took place.

Personally I could have done without this moment lol

Lol, you're serious!? Like, in any of your assertions?

What part is it that hard to believe? That someone doesn't like aFfC and aDwD?

This is offensive really because nobody is forcing you to like something but we are just saying that what you call filler is really not filler. You can dislike it and complain about it as much as you want if you have reasons for that and if that is your opinion but don't call something filler if it is not filler. So we are not praising someone's farts but we are simply saying that it can't be farts because its liquid. It can be piss and it can be water and it can be champaign but it can't be farts. By the way Cortazar is even less economic then Martin and I love Cortazar. If Cortazar wrote ASOIAF it would be twice this size.

Like I said, I'm sorry (not) if some people get butthurt because of a teensy tiny term like "filler", but in my mind there really isn't another word that truly captures what I feel about SOME (not all) parts of the last two books. You I say it's filler, you say it's not, fine. Leave and let live, etc. I think I have the right to an opinion, am I right?

What part is it that hard to believe? That someone doesn't like aFfC and aDwD?

Well, I would start by casting serious doubts on

a)'Please, I have experience in the business'

and then I would beg your excuse to downright laugh at

b) 'and I know for a FACT that there's a thing called word count and that publishers/editors ask writers to meet it'

everything else after that I barely registered, sorry...

GRRM wanted a 5 year gap. Couldn't figure out how to do it. What did he end up doing? FILLING in the gaps.

Books 4 & 5 are the definition of filler.

This is cool. You started trolling us on the Rant and Rave threads, and now that they're off you actually bother to follow us through the forum lol :rofl:lol

Well, I would start by casting serious doubts on

a)'Please, I have experience in the business'

and then I would beg your excuse to downright laugh at

b) 'and I know for a FACT that there's a thing called word count and that publishers/editors ask writers to meet it'

everything else after that I barely registered, sorry...

Is it really hard to believe that someone studying screenwriting in the UCLA extension program has been in touch with editors and publishers, especially if they're teachers at said institution?

God, your life must be so small...

Archived