Will we see this season the battle of Winterfell?

MiloStark

Seeing how they are setting up the upcoming battle between Stannis and the Boltons, do you think we will see it this season?

I think it would be disappointing if we don't. But on the other hand we haven't heard anything about filming a big battle or something like it. Thats too bad I was so looking forward to it this season, ala Blackwater in season 2.

How far do you think they will get in this plot in season 5? Maybe Theon being delivered to Stannis?

Seeing how they are setting up the upcoming battle between Stannis and the Boltons, do you think we will see it this season?

I think it would be disappointing if we don't. But on the other hand we haven't heard anything about filming a big battle or something like it. Thats too bad I was so looking forward to it this season, ala Blackwater in season 2.

How far do you think they will get in this plot in season 5? Maybe Theon being delivered to Stannis?

Well in trailer 2 we see tents burning, in pledge your allegiance vidz we see the Baratheon one with Stannis having blood on his face. So it appears Stannis will be involved in some sort of battle or skirmish now is that going to be Battle of Ice? I'm not sure, perhaps Deepwoode Motte? Im not sure, but doubting that more and more due to the fact that they are making it more and more of a show down between Stannis and the Boltons. So I think we will get Stannis men starving, freezing, and a lot will die. When Theon will escape from WF and find Stannis's men in ep9, where there will be some sort of small skirmish which I recon Stannis will win, so I think we will get some sort of battle, but dont think it will be as big as Hardhome, as that seems to be the big battle of the season

I definitely don't think we'll get any large-scale battle type of scenes regarding the Battle of Winterfell this season, if at all. The Hardhome battle has been hyped as the big action set piece of the season already. The blood on Stannis' face in that "Welcome to House Baratheon" video is super intriguing to me. It makes me think that Stannis survives whatever skirmish we see this season because how weird would it be for them to spoil his death in a piece of promotional material like that? I'm guessing that the Boltons try to sneak attack Stannis' camp in that preview scene showing all his tents burning and Stannis fights the attackers off and survives? One can only hope.

Thats kind of a disappointment to me, like someone said above im sick of waiting for the books to see how this plot turns out. But seeing how Martin talked about opening TWOW with the 2 big battles (of the Ice and in Meereen) and I was hoping we could get in the show a big battle like the Blackwater one. I really one they don't do it like in season 1 when Tyrion was knocked down unconscious in the battle between the Starks and the Lannisters.

This Winterfell battle represents so much in my opinion, as redemption for the Starks, Stannis' intentions to re take the Iron throne, etc...too good to miss it on the screen!

I certainly hope they won't tease us like GRRM and then end the season/book with no resolution. Stannis covered in blood gives me hope since he is going straight to Winterfell rather than Deepwood Motte first, so there WILL be some battle.

I think they could do the battle of ice / Winterfell, because there has been no set up for the battle of fire in Mereen this season, they will probably focus on the north and Stannis coming down. So I would not be surprised if thy did the battle in episode 10 or something.

I think they could do the battle of ice / Winterfell, because there has been no set up for the battle of fire in Mereen this season, they will probably focus on the north and Stannis coming down. So I would not be surprised if thy did the battle in episode 10 or something.

Will there be a Battle of Winterfell in the books? Has GRRM said anything about that?

I think it's confirmed that The Battle of Winterfell and The Battle of Meereen will happen relatively early in TWOW.

Somebody on youtube theorized that the Battle of Ice, or whatever we want to call it, won't be fought at Winterfell, but rather Ramsay & allies will ride out to face Stannis when they learn that he's nearby, trapped in snow, and weakened. It's a great opportunity to play out the Manderly betrayal (irrelevant on the show, I know, but this theory comes from book readers not unsullied) as well as all the other house machinations related to Winterfell.

It they are going to do the battle of ice it has to be done in this season because it happens before Jon's last chapter in the book. They really had to mess up the time line to be able to move the battle it into TWOW, the Theon sample chapter from TWOW also happens before Jon's last chapter in ADWD.

However I think there will be two battles in the books with Stannis faking defeat the first time, the PL being sent with this info, then Stannis taking the Boltons by surprise. There is a good chance D&D might simplify this story down to win or lose or they might not let the audience in on Stannis's plot until the next season and have him appear to die for real.

I would hope so. The fact we didn't see it in the books was pretty crappy as well, as clearly ADWD is designed to lead up to and into that battle, as well as Mereen, and then it's just like "Nope...you'll have to wait 10 more years."

I guess on the other hand, at least with the TV show, we know if we don't get up to it that we will eventually get it next season, which will come in a year or 2.

If there was a big battle we would have heard about it. With Daznag's pit and Hardhome their budget is stretched thin.

My guess is we see the buildup and then hear the aftermath through the Pink letter. Some sort of unnamed Northern Resistance will play Manderly's part or maybe even the nights of the Vale.

I can't wait for the Boltons to get theirs so I hope so. We know this season needs some "bangs" at the end.

I think Jon will get his bang in episode 10.

Dany needs hers, maybe in episode 9, judging by the title.

So, I think episode 10 could be the battle of Winterfell, followed by the pink letter, and then Jon gets his surprise and the season is over and everyone is WTF!?! :)

Great theory about the pink letter jet199. My favourite so far.

As people have pointed out, the fact we havn't heard about a battle(were we did in all previous seasons) speaks volumes. Also I would like to add D&D have said that only Sansa's arc will contain WOW spoilers so I guess that is that.

I'm not enjoying the fact that their building stannis up to being the clear favourite either("the greatest military commander in westeros") , so unless things start going very wrong for him very soon I can see him losing.

I know he's going to die but I just want him to kick the shit out of the Boltons first.

I can see why there would be the battle this season and why not. And hence my disappointment, as I think we won't get it this season. But i was so looking forward to seeing some kind of redemption for the Starks.

On the other hand I agree with whats being said above, about messing up the timeline as the battle occurs before the pink letter. So if we get pink letter and no battle, I think it will mess up a bit people ideas (specially non book readers). I just think they should have included it like they did for battle of Blackwater in season 2, you don't build up to the hype and expectations of the battle through the entire season...only to not have it at the end of it.

Archived