[Book spoilers] Frey reinforcements in winterfell

So Stannis is on his way to Winterfell and so far forces of other northern lords are non existent and are neither supporting Stannis nor Boltons. The show has potrayed that Stannis has more forces and resources and has upper hand against Bolton which is contrary to books. The appearance of fat walda in this episode has intrigued me and i think we can see arrival of Frey reinforcements in winterfell as a master hand played by Roose Boltons against Stannis and Stannis will become underdog again on eve of battle. Remember Frey's have substantial forces in show verse even more than books as Rob Stark stated that he can capture Casterly Rock with help from Freys.

Arrival of Frey forces can trigger many sub plots too including revolt my north's common folks against bolton due to hate of Frey's, Theon's redemption and frey pies among other. What do you think?

I think they are going to make a lot of Stannis's men die in the snow on their way to WF, and will make a massive blizzard occur towards on the end of the season which will result in even more deaths. Also the Boltons appear they do have a plan so even though Stannis has more men atm they may get some sort of reinforcements so your Frey theory may be correct. But like I said in other posts, I'm confident Stannis makes it through to s6. So to make Stannis the underdog again loss of men starving, freezing, Frey or other lords supporting the Boltons reinforcements, and a ambush will make Stannis the underdog again, which he is in the Battle of Ice, except he has a plan, which he will probably have in the show as well.

I don't think we should expect a Frey army. Walder Frey has little reason to send one - why should he care at this point about what happens to the Boltons? Why stick his neck out for them? Maybe Bolton has a plan beyond castle walls and winter storms, but maybe not - those seem like a pretty good plan.

Well good guys won the battle of the wall. Also Dany is gonna win the battle of Meereen

Well, Dany is going to leave Mereen on a dragon. Tyrion will presumably get to safety with either a large group of Unsullied or mercenaries (or both). But Dany won't be in control of Mereen anymore, which should probably count as losing the battle of Mereen. And Hardholme and For the Watch will both be non-victories for Jon. So it will probably be a pretty bleak finale.

People are going to give up on the show if nobody good ever comes out of a battle as the winner. At some point,there needs to be a payoff.

Agreed. There's been a number of people suggesting that Stannis will die this season, Shireen will be burned alive, Sansa and Theon will escape only to be recaptured, all on top of Jon's betrayal at Castle Black. I honestly feel like if the show goes this route it will just be too depressing, too dark, and too hopeless. At least one of these storylines has to end "well", right? I mean, the books can be downright demoralizing to read at times but at least in the books Theon escapes, Stannis seems poised to have a decent chance in the battle, etc.

I don't think we should expect a Frey army. Walder Frey has little reason to send one - why should he care at this point about what happens to the Boltons? Why stick his neck out for them? Maybe Bolton has a plan beyond castle walls and winter storms, but maybe not - those seem like a pretty good plan.

Well, Dany is going to leave Mereen on a dragon. Tyrion will presumably get to safety with either a large group of Unsullied or mercenaries (or both). But Dany won't be in control of Mereen anymore, which should probably count as losing the battle of Mereen. And Hardholme and For the Watch will both be non-victories for Jon. So it will probably be a pretty bleak finale.

The main reason for freys to send army is greed and you can count on freys to be greedy. Besides walder Frey's grand daughter is wife of bolton (warden of north), whatever walder Frey is he is family man it is his only positive.

The main reason for freys to send army is greed and you can count on freys to be greedy. Besides walder Frey's grand daughter is wife of bolton (warden of north), whatever walder Frey is he is family man it is his only positive.

Is he a family man? For someone who loves his family he certainly doesn't give them much verbal praise. In fact he is the best example of a person who will invariably shame his relatives in front of just about anyone that I can come to think of.

Is he a family man? For someone who loves his family he certainly doesn't give them much verbal praise. In fact he is the best example of a person who will invariably shame his relatives in front of just about anyone that I can come to think of.

The point that walder Frey is family man is well established in the books. The lesser freys are always worrying what will happen to them and where they will go when the old man dies. He is grumpy no doubt.

People are going to give up on the show if nobody good ever comes out of a battle as the winner. At some point,there needs to be a payoff.

exactly my friend, i mean seriously 2 whole season to get stannis an army and for what. for him to loose to roose bolton i dont think people understand that if the character always wins or looses people wills top watching. oh nvm people have already started

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Game_of_Thrones_episodes#Season_5_.282015.29

and if the season end on a shitty note, then, well, they will be opening the next season with less then 5million views. witch means less money for the show to do its stuff, witch it turn means less people watching. like a rabbit hole.

now if the season ends with a jon demise and danny riding drogon with full control of him into the blue sky, and stannis taking winterfell. then i can see the number go higher, because one, the show is hopefull again and second people will have to wait and see if jon lives or dies in season 6.

+ if what D&B said does come true. we should be seeing lots of warging next season.

An episode or two ago, or even earlier during this week I would have been terribly down on the Freys appearing.

But on a second look, a new event in Winterfell has changed everything: Walda is suddenly pregnant.

This child would be the potential heir to the Dreadfort - a major Lord in his own right. Should he perish in Winterfell, Walder would lose a part of the one thing he has wanted - to spread his seed and marry off his sons and daughters. Stannis winning Winterfell would also place the Twins in heavy jeopardy should Stannis march south. He'd want to give the Northern Lords their revenge.

There is a better chance than not that the Freys show up in Winterfell this season, hopefully next episode.

exactly my friend, i mean seriously 2 whole season to get stannis an army and for what. for him to loose to roose bolton i dont think people understand that if the character always wins or looses people wills top watching. oh nvm people have already started

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Game_of_Thrones_episodes#Season_5_.282015.29

and if the season end on a shitty note, then, well, they will be opening the next season with less then 5million views. witch means less money for the show to do its stuff, witch it turn means less people watching. like a rabbit hole.

now if the season ends with a jon demise and danny riding drogon with full control of him into the blue sky, and stannis taking winterfell. then i can see the number go higher, because one, the show is hopefull again and second people will have to wait and see if jon lives or dies in season 6.

+ if what D&B said does come true. we should be seeing lots of warging next season.

Empire Strikes back ended on a sad note and everyone went to see Return of the Jedi.

The end of the second act/start of the final act is supposed to be worrisome, it's supposed to be the place where problems mount against the protagonists at a seemingly impossible to overcome level.

As for the viewing numbers it may be a trend and it may not. Episodes 1-4 were leaked this season, which is unprecedented and the starting viewership of 8 mil looks more like the anomaly than settling at 6.5 - 7 mil.

I don't see any reason for the Freys to show up. In the books, they sent 2,000 soldiers* right after Roose married Walda. They were there when Roose marched up from Moat Cailin. In the show, they weren't mentioned. In fact, none of the houses of the North or Riverlands seem to be doing anything about the battle at Winterfell. It's just Stannis's levies and Roose's levies.

*500 mounted knights, and 1,500 pikemen, crossbowmen, longbowmen, light cavalry, and mounted bowmen.

Empire Strikes back ended on a sad note and everyone went to see Return of the Jedi.

The end of the second act/start of the final act is supposed to be worrisome, it's supposed to be the place where problems mount against the protagonists at a seemingly impossible to overcome level.

As for the viewing numbers it may be a trend and it may not. Episodes 1-4 were leaked this season, which is unprecedented and the starting viewership of 8 mil looks more like the anomaly than settling at 6.5 - 7 mil.

This isn't the start of the final act yet though. That would be Season 7. They should pick the viewers up after the Red Wedding and Oberyn. They haven't done that yet. At least in the books, you got lots of Freys dying due to Stoneheart.

This isn't the start of the final act yet though. That would be Season 7. They should pick the viewers up after the Red Wedding and Oberyn. They haven't done that yet. At least in the books, you got lots of Freys dying due to Stoneheart.

Well

New Hope, ACT 1 - 2 hrs, or 33% of 6 hrs

Empire, ACT 2 - 2 hrs, or 33% of 6 hrs

Jedi, ACT 3 - 2 hrs, or 33% of 6 hrs

Seasons 1 & 2 ACT 1 - 20 hrs, or 30% of 70 hrs

Seasons 3, 4 & 5, ACT 2 - 30 hrs, or 40% of 70 hrs

Seasons 6 & 7, ACT 3 - 20 hrs, or 30% of 70 hrs

GoTs has a bigger middle than the Star Wars Trilogy if Season 5 ends the middle, or second act.

Re needing a picker upper after Obyren and the Red Wedding - I don't think it's that kind of story. If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention. Did AFFC or ADWD offer a picker upper, or did they basically get darker than ASoS? Our 5 main protagonists - Jon,Dany, Tyrion, Bran and Arya - have been on their own journey's into darkness since AGoT. This ain't getting happier, until right at the end. And it's not going to be 30 mins of warm fuzzys like LotRs, I'm sure, it'll be a moment, a glimmer of hope, right in the last episode of the last season - A Dream of Spring.

BTW, I found Stoneheart killing the Frey's kind of monstrous and creepy - not that those Frey's hadn't earned their horror movie endings but just saying, what we have seen in the books with LSH is more or less what we should expect from our protagonists - defiantly the same type of tone our protagonists will have by the end, very dark fantasy, almost horror - Pan's Labyrinth, type of thing.

There are Freys at Winterfell in the books. The Manderlys and Freys are bickering with each other and Roose Bolton sends them out first before his own troops. In a Theon chapter excerpt from TWOW Theon is speaking to Stannis about the numbers. He said Manderly and Frey will never combine their numbers but will come after Stannis separately. Roose Bolton will follow.

Archived