NBA Playoffs 2015: No headband edition

Ramsay B.

Now that Bradley Beal is out for the season, no one can stand in their way.

And because the Warriors got knocked out in 3.

RIP Bradley Beal.

Watched the Cavs game in a bar (which is fucking weird, I never go to bars), couldn't believe that the Bulls pissed this one away too. For the love of god, secure the rock when it goes bouncing off the glass!

Watched the Cavs game in a bar (which is fucking weird, I never go to bars), couldn't believe that the Bulls pissed this one away too. For the love of god, secure the rock when it goes bouncing off the glass!

Well coming back from 17 down in the 4th quarter, when Lebron is close to unstoppable, is not exactly pissing away a game but Bulls definitely had their chances in the end. The little put back by Rose that missed and that offensive rebound were both brutal. They showed heart but it's the same old story, unfortunately. Gasol better play game 6.

Well coming back from 17 down in the 4th quarter, when Lebron is close to unstoppable, is not exactly pissing away a game but Bulls definitely had their chances in the end. The little put back by Rose that missed and that offensive rebound were both brutal. They showed heart but it's the same old story, unfortunately. Gasol better play game 6.

Better said. It was imminently predictable even as they were making their comeback. I never truly believed they'd pull it off.

It was imminently predictable even as they were making their comeback. I never truly believed they'd pull it off.

Yup, they're such teases. Now game 4 they definitely pissed away, I haven't been that annoyed at an NBA game in quite some time.

Rockets are my 2nd favourite team and CP3 my favourite player. You'd think that would make this win-win, but I'm somehow mostly apathetic.

None of the games have really been close and they've all been marred by the intentional fouling blight, so I guess I can see that. I'm just hoping that they lengths to which they've gone to it in this series finally convince the league to change the hacking rules. They *REALLY* need fixing at this point.

ST

None of the games have really been close and they've all been marred by the intentional fouling blight, so I guess I can see that. I'm just hoping that they lengths to which they've gone to it in this series finally convince the league to change the hacking rules. They *REALLY* need fixing at this point.

ST

I mean I agree it has made large stretches of Rockets-Clippers unwatchable but what's the solution? On the one hand, I agree with the notion that you shouldn't change rules just because 6-7 players can't handle one of the core aspects of basketball. Just fucking learn to shoot FTs - it's not that hard. On the other hand unlike other exploitable weaknesses (like Tony Allen's inability to shoot) it completely destroys the rhythm and excitement of an NBA playoff game.

I guess if there's any rule change I lean towards giving a team the right to just take the ball out on the side instsead of shooting free throws so long as it's not in the act of shooting and not the last 2 minutes of a game. Feel like that does the least harms and nullifies the tactic completely.

I mean I agree it has made large stretches of Rockets-Clippers unwatchable but what's the solution? On the one hand, I agree with the notion that you shouldn't change rules just because 6-7 players can't handle one of the core aspects of basketball. Just fucking learn to shoot FTs - it's not that hard. On the other hand unlike other exploitable weaknesses (like Tony Allen's inability to shoot) it completely destroys the rhythm and excitement of an NBA playoff game.

I guess if there's any rule change I lean towards giving a team the right to just take the ball out on the side instsead of shooting free throws so long as it's not in the act of shooting and not the last 2 minutes of a game. Feel like that does the least harms and nullifies the tactic completely.

Well first off, I disagree that it's not hard to learn how to shoot free throws. These guys are professionals who all almost certainly spend a large amount of time practising them, and they still haven't been able to get it right. It's obviously hard for them. But that's a separate issue.

You have to remember that they have ALREADY changed the rules about this! You cannot intentionally foul away from the ball in the last two minutes of the game. This clearly shows that the league does not think fouling away from the ball is a good thing (or else why wouldn't you be allowed to do it near the end of the game?). So why not just extend that to the rest of the game? Simple solution and it's an existing rule so it wouldn't require much upheaval.

The other thing - this isn't protecting bad free throw shooters from being fouled within the flow of the game. I have no problem with intentional fouling in general, I have a problem with intentionally fouling when it doesn't affect the play. By all means tackle Howard or Jordan when they're about to go up for a dunk. But don't have someone run all the way across the court to get to them and tap them lightly on the chest a few times. That's not basketball! It doesn't need to be there and it's perfectly possible for it not to be if the league takes steps to stamp it out.

ST

Well first off, I disagree that it's not hard to learn how to shoot free throws. These guys are professionals who all almost certainly spend a large amount of time practising them, and they still haven't been able to get it right. It's obviously hard for them. But that's a separate issue.

You have to remember that they have ALREADY changed the rules about this! You cannot intentionally foul away from the ball in the last two minutes of the game. This clearly shows that the league does not think fouling away from the ball is a good thing (or else why wouldn't you be allowed to do it near the end of the game?). So why not just extend that to the rest of the game? Simple solution and it's an existing rule so it wouldn't require much upheaval.

The other thing - this isn't protecting bad free throw shooters from being fouled within the flow of the game. I have no problem with intentional fouling in general, I have a problem with intentionally fouling when it doesn't affect the play. By all means tackle Howard or Jordan when they're about to go up for a dunk. But don't have someone run all the way across the court to get to them and tap them lightly on the chest a few times. That's not basketball! It doesn't need to be there and it's perfectly possible for it not to be if the league takes steps to stamp it out.

ST

The problem with this is that it would interfere with 'basketball'.

The vast majority of players who suck at free throws/are subject to hacking are post players, and 70% of defence against post players happens off ball, often even before the ball is in themhalfcourt. In transition you 'occupy' their lane and then fight to keep from letting them set up deep, and in the harcourt you front and/or keep fighting to prevent them taking up a deep position. So this rule...it would have to be phrased in a way I can't really imagine to distinguish between 'away from the play' and 'off the ball'. As is they have conceded that post entry is easier in the last 2 minutes because it's better action and better than the end of game free-throw parade. Doing it for the entire game would really open things up for post players, who are already the hardest thing to defend individually in basketball.

ST

You've played basketball, right? I mean I have a terrible outside shot but even with playing like 3 times a month, I can make 50% of my free throws. If it was my career, I have no doubt I'd be substantially better. I mean it's the absolute easiest thing to work on in the game. And it's the only thing where you're completely in control of your performance without disruption. All you need is you, a ball and an empty gym. If these guys choose not to...that's on them. Also not sure if it's like a "Chuck Knoblauch-unable-to-throw-to-first-base" case of the yips when they get up there, but still, I have little sympathy. 99.5% of professional basketball players throughout history have figured out how to make 50% - what is special about these guys that they can't?

And the problem with the rule in the last two minutes is that it's a free throw and the ball. If they're obviously doing a Hack-A-Jordan at some other point in the game, that's one thing. But there's a ton of grey area when it comes to fouls away from the ball. There's a bunch of fouls on guys fighting for position or through screens or whatever. Are you going to reward each of these cases with a FT and the ball all game long? Seems excessive considering the "crime". Or are you going to make it a judgment call by the refs? That's a recipe for disaster. Guys can foul intentionally in a way that looks unintentional.

That's why I say give them the option to refuse FTs except in the last 2 minutes of the game where the other team needs you to shoot FTs to have any chance at a comeback.

Archived