Fewer! why did Stannis make this correction?

I think it was to show how Stannis is feeling superior to men at the watch, his ego already pumped sky high by Mel. They are all just a bunch of bastards, thieves and rapists for him. Also, the conversation obviously bored him to death.

Why was there the need to have stannis correct the nights watch when the said less enemy's for them and Stannis said Fewer?

To show how Stannis views the world in black and white. He is pedantic, inflexible, unable to tolerate deviance of any form and completely unfit to rule, but he believes that he MUST rule because it's his RIGHT. He's not gonna make it, people.

Are you asking what was wrong with the original "less" statement? "Fewer" is actually the correct word to use there, as "fewer" is used for plural words, or discrete items that you can count, e.g. wildlings. "Less" would be used for singular words, or non-discrete items you can't count, e.g. gold. If you're interested: http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/less-versus-fewer

If you're asking why the show decided to revisit the joke they used in season 2, I'd say because it's still funny (it was my favorite part of the episode), and because, of COURSE, Stannis would be a grammar Nazi.

To show how Stannis views the world in black and white. He is pedantic, inflexible, unable to tolerate deviance of any form and completely unfit to rule, but he believes that he MUST rule because it's his RIGHT. He's not gonna make it, people.

I'd have to respectfully disagree. I think Stannis is actually one of the most fit to rule. He is a just man who would dish out punishments fairly. Using Jaime as an example, he made it a point to address him as Ser Jaime the Kingslayer rather than Jaime the Kingslayer because he is a knight and should be addressed as such. He is a capable commander in battle and has the respect of his men. The fact that he is pedantic and inflexible means that he is capable of making tough decisions that he may personally disagree with but benefits the realm as a whole. Not saying there arent others who are just as good if not better than him but I'd be ok with having him as king.

From my personal perspective? Stannis is no worse than anyone else. But gleaning from GRRM's perspective, I don't think he'll let Stannis run things. He has a personal soft spot for "cripples, bastards, and broken things", and I expect him to let one of such win. Stannis is too consistent, too traditional, and way too one-dimensional for GRRM to let him win. Uncomplicated characters have a tendency to die in ASOIAF.

I thought it was funny. I know we're not allowed to like anything D+D do now (and I rarely do), but surely we can appreciate a funny callback?

LOL

I'm not willing to give these guys any benefit of the doubt anymore. A callback would have been to have Stannis say another grammar nazi joke; using the exact same one is just plain lazy to me.

LOL

I'm not willing to give these guys any benefit of the doubt anymore. A callback would have been to have Stannis say another grammar nazi joke; using the exact same one is just plain lazy to me.

It really isn't. I literally thought you were joking about it being lazy because it is such a ridiculous and trivial complaint. I mean it's not even the exact same joke - only two words are the same in both instances: "less" and "fewer". It's just a reference to a previous season. Reusing the same joke twice in the same season is lazy. Reusing a joke from three years ago is a nice callback for the more dedicated fans. I mean it's not like GRRM doesn't repeat certain phrases a lot. Like a lot.

It really isn't. I literally thought you were joking about it being lazy because it is such a ridiculous and trivial complaint. I mean it's not even the exact same joke - only two words are the same in both instances: "less" and "fewer". It's just a reference to a previous season. Reusing the same joke twice in the same season is lazy. Reusing a joke from three years ago is a nice callback for the more dedicated fans. I mean it's not like GRRM doesn't repeat certain phrases a lot. Like a lot.

It may be ridiculous and trivial, I don't think it is. It's the same joke, not just a joke using the same two words twice. We can agree to disagree.

LOL

So what if it is. It's still funny as hell, even more now. Dillane is always brilliant.

I think some D&D haters should avoid the Show. You can't even appreciate the good things this show still has.

I'd have to respectfully disagree. I think Stannis is actually one of the most fit to rule. He is a just man who would dish out punishments fairly. Using Jaime as an example, he made it a point to address him as Ser Jaime the Kingslayer rather than Jaime the Kingslayer because he is a knight and should be addressed as such. He is a capable commander in battle and has the respect of his men. The fact that he is pedantic and inflexible means that he is capable of making tough decisions that he may personally disagree with but benefits the realm as a whole. Not saying there arent others who are just as good if not better than him but I'd be ok with having him as king.

I disagree with him being the most fit to rule for most of the same reason you think he's most fit for it. He's a just man that much is true, but is he too just? The man doesn't understand the benefit of forgiving those that deserve it while punishing those that do. He also doesn't understand that his "just" decisions have long term consequences and Stannis has no respect for other lords, but demands total loyalty none the less. I agree that he's a competent battle commander and should hold a place of importance on the council, but that doesn't make him fit to rule. I agree with Varys when he said that there wasn't anything more terrifying than a truly just man, Stannis would wreak havoc on the realm for a short time before a was assassinated because he would not be a loved king by neither common or highborn.

I disagree with him being the most fit to rule for most of the same reason you think he's most fit for it. He's a just man that much is true, but is he too just? The man doesn't understand the benefit of forgiving those that deserve it while punishing those that do. He also doesn't understand that his "just" decisions have long term consequences and Stannis has no respect for other lords, but demands total loyalty none the less. I agree that he's a competent battle commander and should hold a place of importance on the council, but that doesn't make him fit to rule. I agree with Varys when he said that there wasn't anything more terrifying than a truly just man, Stannis would wreak havoc on the realm for a short time before a was assassinated because he would not be a loved king by neither common or highborn.

Archived