Fewer! why did Stannis make this correction?

If you start ignoring grammatical rules when where will it end? Ignoring the rules of succession? The rule of Law? Chaos will ensue.

Thank the lord of light we have someone like Stannis to maintain order.

It may be ridiculous and trivial, I don't think it is. It's the same joke, not just a joke using the same two words twice. We can agree to disagree.

I just think that reusing the same joke is fine after three years. From any other writers no one would have batted an eye at the joke. I feel like rather than criticising D+D on their many, many, many actual flaws, people are now just assuming that if it's D+D it must be bad and retroactively deciding how this is bad writing.

The Seven forbid we have running jokes in AGoT!

Though to be fair, I had forgotten the previous occurance (as I suspect had 99% of the other viewers, especailly those who haven't watch every episode 20 times yet) ;)

Stannis said it in season 2 about Ser Davos fingers and it worked well for him so he wanted to make sure that Davos had got the message, if Davos is learning to read from Shireen then Stannis must chip in with some off the cuff grammar!

It was a funny little callback to something three seasons ago and the fact that anyone has a problem with it is absurd to the nth degree. When shows like Arrested Development did this kind of thing, they were called brilliant.

Well, yes and no. LOTR was loved by nearly everyone. The same for many other great adaptations.

Now, I still think they should be viewed as different entities, regardless of their quality.

Anecdote time: My mom, who was a massive Tolkien fan back in high school in the '60s (she and some friends learned elvish to talk to each other), absolutely despised LOTR, and entirely for the same reason that so many hardcore ASOIAF fans despise GOT: because it makes changes to the story (at least, that's all she'll admit. I think there's also the 'ownership' issue; getting annoyed that something seems less special because everyone knows about it now).

I think it goes with Stannis's iron won't bend before he breaks personality. Rules are rules, including the rules of grammar.

And Stannis's mother taught him how to talk proper. Properly. Sorry. I couldn't resist, but I did think that was cringe worthy from Arya.

Holy over-analyse Batman! Nah, its just funny, like when he corrected Davos with the same line in season 2, made all the better because unlike that time, this time he doesn't press the issue, because for some strange reason (this coming from a Stannis fan) he appears to be being built up as the hero of season 5 (like Ned and Oberyn :( I am so scared!).

on the joke in the series: I acutally LOLed, so at least some people thought it was funny. What's more, I think it is far from a repetition of the same conversation in S2. Back then, when Davos asked "what", he explained the grammar issue. Now, he says "forget it". I think this is a good subtle hint at how he has changed as a character, away from the more rigid black/white-seer of the past to the more flexible, utterly pragmatic Stannis of now. Nice touch.

I totally thought this too. Yes I am someone who has watched the series 20 times so I did remember exactly what he said back in season 2, but that's exactly what made it so great and so funny. In ADWD, Stannis becomes more flexible generally. So to me, this was a great little nod to that - the rule is still there to him and he notices it, but he knows it isn't such a big deal that he needs to explain it to Davos (or anyone) again. Nice little touch, I loved it.

No Tom Bombadil, no Barrow Wights... FOOEY on the LOTR movie franchise. They ruined the books. All that orlando bloom junk... FOOEY on them!!!

I hope we hear more nicknames from Stannis before he's... well I don't predict good things for him.

From my personal perspective? Stannis is no worse than anyone else. But gleaning from GRRM's perspective, I don't think he'll let Stannis run things. He has a personal soft spot for "cripples, bastards, and broken things", and I expect him to let one of such win. Stannis is too consistent, too traditional, and way too one-dimensional for GRRM to let him win. Uncomplicated characters have a tendency to die in ASOIAF.

stannis also fits the "cripples, bastards, and broken things", he is the severely under appreciated middle brother. OF the three baratheon's he's made the most contribution to the well being of the realm and yet most dislike him but love his irresponsible brothers.

stannis also fits the "cripples, bastards, and broken things", he is the severely under appreciated middle brother. OF the three baratheon's he's made the most contribution to the well being of the realm and yet most dislike him but love his irresponsible brothers.

Yep Stannis is definitely a broken thing from inside.

I think it did something quite clever which is to remind the audience that although from the shows' perspective Stannis Baratheon has softened and become more sympathetic, he's essentially the same person he has always been.

This cuts two ways. He's that guy you didn't like before but since you like him now how does that change the way you viewed his actions previously?

You can see the difference in the audience perception of him from the fact that the same joke got a totally different reaction a few seasons later.

Archived