The Books That Have Just Come Out: New Release Thread

Maester Llama

My Kindle has been well fed the last three days with fantasy books. Monday it received Two Tales of the Iron Druid Chronicles (Kevin Hearne). Then Tuesday it got: Uprooted (Naomi Novik); The Hanged Man (P.N. Elrod); Talking Dirty (Elliott James); When the Heavens Fall (Marc Turner); Devil In the Wires (Tim Lees); The Shadow of Elysium (Django Wexler). And today Ginga (Daniel José Older) came.

My Kindle has been well fed the last three days with fantasy books. Monday it received Two Tales of the Iron Druid Chronicles (Kevin Hearne). Then Tuesday it got: Uprooted (Naomi Novik); The Hanged Man (P.N. Elrod); Talking Dirty (Elliott James); When the Heavens Fall (Marc Turner); Devil In the Wires (Tim Lees); The Shadow of Elysium (Django Wexler). And today Ginga (Daniel José Older) came.

That's quite the e-stack :D .I'm interested to know what you think of The Hanged Man and When the Heavens Fall.

Whether you take author blurbs at all seriously as a form of endorsement / hype or not, the shere number of quotes Novik's Uprooted has gotten, and the names tied to those blurbs, is amazing and kind of hilarious. On its amazon page the book has blurbs from: Gregory Maguire, Ursula K. Le Guin, Maggie Stiefvater, Patrick Rothfuss, Robin Hobb, Kelly Link, Rachel Hartman, Ellen Kushner, Lev Grossman, Jacqueline Carey, Cassandra Clare, Tamora Pierce, Kevin Hearn, Christopher Golden, and Todd McCaffrey. Le Guin, Hobb, Rothfuss, Stiefvater, Hartman, Grossman, and Link all think this book is good. And grounded fairy tales are brain candy for me. And I find Novik's writing deeply absorbing. Yeah, ... yeah, sure, ... I'll ... I'll read this. Yep.

That's quite the e-stack :D .I'm interested to know what you think of The Hanged Man and When the Heavens Fall.

I finished The Hanged Man and thought it was excellent, much to my surprise (5 stars on either the Amazon or Goodreads scale). I put up a quick review on Amazon (with the heading "A Miss-tery"), and have transported it to Goodreads as well.

My Kindle wolfed up two more new books today; one that looks stunning, and one that may stun me to sleep. M.D. Lachlan's Valkyrie's Song is almost sure to be a winner; the white wolf cover already is. But before reading it, I first need to find a way to get Lord of Slaughter for my Kindle. The other book, Nancy K. Wallace's Among Wolves initially seems less promising.

I had missed that Peter Higgins' Radiant State: Book Three of the Wolfhound Century has just been released, so I purchased it today. If you haven't been following this trilogy, you're missing (as its blurb tells us) a highly original "perfect melding of fantasy, myth, science fiction, and political thriller," a blurb I agree with, though I might add alternative history to the blend.

Got Veiled Empire by Nathan Garrison yesterday (May 26): The book's description reads: "The Empire is Shrouded, not only by the barrier that covers the land, but by the lies and oppression of the mierothi regime. Magic is the privilege of the elite, and the people of this shadowed country have forgotten what it means to hope under their rule. But there are some who would resist, with plans put into motion millennia before. For returned to the Empire is a valynkar, servant of the god of light, and with him come the strength and cunning that could tip the scales to end the Emperor's reign. He has gathered a group of heroes ready to ignite the flame of rebellion and fight against the dark power that has ruled for nearly two thousand years. A power that has champions of its own. Nathan Garrison's Veiled Empire throws a mythical land into chaos, with races long thought forgotten, and magics only just discovered. Steel and sorcery clash as brave souls vie for freedom and control in this astonishing debut novel."

Today my Kindle received five pre-ordered June 2 fantasy releases: The Liar's Key by Mark Lawrence, Storm and Steel by Jon Sprunk, The Shadow Revolution: Crown & Key by Clay Griffith and Susan Griffith, Knight's Shadow by Sebastien de Castell, and Iron and Blood: Part II of the Saga of the Redeemed by Auston Habershaw. I also purchased for my Kindle a novel that was released on May 26 but had been overlooked by me: The Iron Ship by K.M. McKinley. This is the first book of the new series The Gates of the World, which appears to be a sprawling epic that blends fantasy with other genres in a way that lured me into buying it.

Has anyone read Providence of Fire by Brian Staveley. I was underwhelmed by the first book in the series but it has good reviews on Goodreads...

I didn't think it was better than the first book. The first book got better as the story progressed, this one started out well, but kinda deflated in the middle, and had an okay ending.

I had missed that Peter Higgins' Radiant State: Book Three of the Wolfhound Century has just been released, so I purchased it today. If you haven't been following this trilogy, you're missing (as its blurb tells us) a highly original "perfect melding of fantasy, myth, science fiction, and political thriller," a blurb I agree with, though I might add alternative history to the blend.

This series has gathered remarkably little traction and buzz.

This series has gathered remarkably little traction and buzz.

That doesn't surprise me. It's true of several books/series/authors that I think are great. For what it's worth, the second book in the series, Truth and Fear, managed to garner some really good reviews on Amazon.

This summer is positively insane for book releases for me. I mean, I have Nemesis Games, The Liar's Key, and Knight's Shadow already, and that's just from TODAY.

Are the Greatcoats books good? Considered buying them a couple of times but the blurb doesn't quite sell it for me.

Well, uprooted came in the mail today

My Kindle has been well fed the last three days with fantasy books. Tuesday it got: Uprooted (Naomi Novik)

Whether you take author blurbs at all seriously as a form of endorsement / hype or not, the shere number of quotes Novik's Uprooted has gotten, and the names tied to those blurbs, is amazing and kind of hilarious. . Yeah, ... yeah, sure, ... I'll ... I'll read this. Yep.

Warner Bros and Ellen DeGeneres to Adapt Naomi Novik’s Uprooted

Speaking of Uprooted, I've also just downloaded it, and it's 28% (why such a peculiar percent I don't know) off on the Kobo website

ETA: actually it's still cheaper on Amazon kindle store. Damnit!

Archived