The Books That Have Just Come Out: New Release Thread

Maester Llama

I was kind of wondering whether The Immortal Throne would be published in North America at all, as I'm not sure The City did that well here, so this actually counts as sorta-kinda good news for me, since we now know that it is at least happening, even if not as soon as might be hoped.

I've got Snakewood on hold at the library, so I'll definitely be trying it and saying stuff about it around here, but probably not until after a consensus has been reached, as the library is wonderful, but slow. I agree that based on reactions thus far it's looking like the year's first wipeout, but maybe it'll work really well for some people? The year seems to be amply supplied with debut epic fantasy, particularly in the summer, including a resurgence of dragon stuff, so we'll see if Snakewood retains its dud crown.

Elizabeth Bonesteel's The Cold Between is picking up some solid reviews as an enjoyable debut space opera that shows great promise. I've read the beginning and am definitely interested. It's gonna give the people who see romance and go eeew coodies shattering heart attacks, but for the rest of us it has great potential in terms of mapping out an interestingly tense post-scarcity-but-still-tension-ridden interstellar society, I think.

That just means the author wasn't friends with GRRM or Neil Gaiman.

I'm assuming you mean author quotes and not the entire blurb.

On the other hand, I just had a look at a preview and it's maybe not a very welcoming sign that, after the brief introductory note setting up that this is all being recorded by a scholar, the first line of the first chapter proper is "My name's Gant and I'm sorry for my poor writing".

• 2 weeks later...

My 'TBR' pile from April :

The Fall of the Dagger by Glenda Larke (pre-ordered)
Leviathan's Blood by Ben Peek (pre-ordered)
Saint's Blood by Sebastien de Castell (pre-ordered)
Emperor of the Eight Islands by Lian Hearn (pre-ordered)
Sharp Ends by Joe Abercrombie (pre-ordered)
Fellside by M. R. Carey (pre-ordered)
Fall of Light by Steven Erikson (pre-ordered)
A Shadow All of Light by Fred Chappell (will wait for reviews)

13 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Preorder complete.  I gather this is a different world from the one in Fairy Gold?

Thank you!

Some of the ideas are borrowed from Fairy Gold, or developed from it. But yeah, there are enough differences to keep you going.

On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 9:43 AM, Peadar said:

Thank you!

Some of the ideas are borrowed from Fairy Gold, or developed from it. But yeah, there are enough differences to keep you going.

Great!  After reading Adam's review I'm hoping for something like a very bloody version of Graham Joyce's Some Kind of Fairytale.  But not with those pansy English Fairies. ;) 

4 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Great!  After reading Adam's review I'm hoping for something like a very bloody version of Graham Joyce's Some Kind of Fairytale.  But not with those pansy English Fairies. ;) 

They asked, but I refused to let them into the book... ;)

Anybody read The Lazarus War: Artefact by Jamie Sawyer?  There was a sample of it after James S.A. Corey's Vital Abyss.  I didn't read the sample, I just thought I would be lazy and ask about it here.

Archived