The Books That Have Just Come Out: New Release Thread

Maester Llama

On 28-5-2016 at 2:09 AM, Darth Richard II said:

Anyone know anything about Todd Lockwood's debut? I like his art( I know a lot of people here don't) and its bout DRAGONS YAY DRAGONS but it has a suspiciously high amazon rating, and that always makes me pause, particularly when I've heard nothing about it in any other circles.

I bought it but have not read it yet. I can confirm it's a beautiful book btw, as mentioned in those reviews.

Beautiful llustrations and there seems to be a lot of story covered in this one. I think it's just over 500 pages as well.

I'm hoping it's not shit.

June looks to be another bumper month for new releases.

The big one's:

The Wheel of Osheim by Mark Lawrence
Stiletto by Daniel O'Malley
League of Dragons by Naomi Novik
End of Watch by Stephen King
Saint's Blood by Sebastien de Castell
The Long Cosmos by Terry Pratchett & Stephen Baxter
The Nightmare Stacks by Charles Stross
The Perdition Score by Richard Kadrey
Age of Myth by Michael J. Sullivan

The debuts:

Hope and Red by Jon Skovron
In the Shadow of the Gods by Rachel Dunne
Ninefox Gambit by Yoon Ha Lee
Silent Hall by N. S. Dolkart
Infomocracy by Malka Older
The Many Selves of Katherine North by Emma Geen

• 2 weeks later...

I'm almost done with A Blade of Black Steel .I have two more unread books from May sitting on my e-reader: The Tower of Swallows and Leviathan’s Blood.Yikes! Oh,and i also bought The Wheel of Osheim from the June releases.

Hmm...not sure which one i will start after finishing A Blade of Black Steel.Decisions, decisions! :D

2 minutes ago, Datepalm said:

Speaking of, does anyone have the foggiest when the new Rivers of London book is out? Goodreads and Amazon are all over the place, from yesterday to next year. 

Amazon and  Waterstones both list it as October, while Goodreads states it is already published. I assume the Goodreads thing is just ARCs or something

9 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Amazon and  Waterstones both list it as October, while Goodreads states it is already published. I assume the Goodreads thing is just ARCs or something

I think it was originally meant to be out this week, I guess it's been pushed back for some reason and maybe Goodreads haven't updated their details yet.

On 01/06/2016 at 11:37 AM, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Ninefox Gambit by Yoon Ha Lee

Started this yesterday, halfway in and it's brilliant. The writing's exceptional; it's already managed to repeatedly mine drama and surprise out of the subversion of expectations of concepts and plot points- most pretty new to me and some very abstract SFF ideas indeed- that I'd only actually been introduced to a few pages prior. He sells the world and characters so well.

15 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Started this yesterday, halfway in and it's brilliant. The writing's exceptional; it's already managed to repeatedly mine drama and surprise out of the subversion of expectations of concepts and plot points- most pretty new to me and some very abstract SFF ideas indeed- that I'd only actually been introduced to a few pages prior. He sells the world and characters so well.

Nice.Will push this higher up my TBR list.

If you had to describe it in 120 words (or more),just to give an idea..y'know something like '----' meets '-----'  with a sprinkling of '----' etc etc.:D

Penric and the Shaman by Lois McMaster Bujold came out on June 23.Totally missed this! :o

10 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

If you had to describe it in 120 words (or more),just to give an idea..y'know something like '----' meets '-----'  with a sprinkling of '----' etc etc.:D

If I said 'Honor Harrington in a world designed by Hanu Rajaniemi (or possibly Ann Leckie) with weaponry and horror-of-war provided by China Mieville' I might be somewhere close. Basically, it's military SF where the precision of maneuvers is very important but in weirder ways than in HH because combining the power of belief with precise maths gives you access to what from our perspective are basically magic, and really really gruesome, weapons.
There's also a heavy side order of the discussion of the moralities of military command.

Having finished, it's very much the first of a series, but satisfying nonetheless. Very impressive work.

SECRETS OF SUPERVILLAINY, the third book in the Supervillainy Saga by me came out today. People seem to like those books.

But Charles Stross' latest LAUNDRY FILES book came out as well. THE NIGHTMARE STACKS.

I'm also pleased at another Mercy Thompson book.

• 3 weeks later...

Public service announcement: Max Gladstone's latest Craft Sequence novel Four Roads Cross comes out today. Gargoyles, necromancy, sorcerers as lawyers, the economy of faith and the exchange value of the soul. One of my very favourite current secondary world fantasy series. This is the good shit and a new one should be a big deal. The books are standalone, though they do form a larger arc, and a glance at the sample chapters for Four Roads suggest that it might be pretty helpful to have read Three Parts Dead first.

I did some checking on Four Roads Cross.  The B&N website says the book is not available in any store in Iowa, only a couple in Chicago, and maybe a handful in NYC.  So either there's a problem with the website or this book is getting a very limited release.  I'll probably have to look elsewhere for it. 

On 26/07/2016 at 6:53 PM, Darth Richard II said:

It's considered a follow up to three parts dead. Snagged mine last night at b&N as they were putting it on the shelf, hopefully will get to it this week.

The title suggests to me it's going to bring all the previous books together in some way... I've not read the blurb or any hype for it though, as I've still to read Last First Snow.

Archived