The Books That Have Just Come Out: New Release Thread

Maester Llama

4 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

B&N's website is notoriously bad.  

In what way?  In my experience, the B&N website is quite reliable when it comes listing the in-store availability.  Not that isn't wrong on occasion when it has inventory in the thousands, but still. 

24 minutes ago, beniowa said:

In what way?  In my experience, the B&N website is quite reliable when it comes listing the in-store availability.  Not that isn't wrong on occasion when it has inventory in the thousands, but still. 

Well, for the stores here, the online stock never, EVER matches whats actually at the store, to the point where I;ve had clerks tell me to never trust the website.

30 minutes ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Neat.

12 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

So I'm only a few pages in but Four Roads Cross is definitely a sequel to Three Parts Dead. It picks up right where that one left off. 

Yeah,the blurb for FRC pretty much confirmed the characters were returning.So glad Gladstone got back to another Tara and Abelard book.Will get to this soon.

My August SFF wishlist:

Spiderlight by Adrian Tchaikovsky
Spellbreaker by Blake Charlton
The Last Days of New Paris by China Miéville
The Guns of Empire by Django Wexler
Infernal by Mark de Jager
The Obelisk Gate by N.K. Jemisin
No Good Dragon Goes Unpunished by Rachel Aaron

This blurb sold me on Infernal :P

"If Jack Reacher came to Westeros and started beating the hell out of everybody, you’d have Mark De Jager’s Infernal ... daring, dangerous, and full of surprises" - Sebastien de Castell

I just got Spiderlight and definitely am eager to get The Obelisk GateInfernal is on my radar but I might be waiting to see what others think first.  Also eager for Guns of Empire and was hoping for another novella by Wexler as he used to bring one out when the next novel came out in hardcover. 

Also out is Lian Hearn's Tale of Shikanoko series, Lord of the Darkwood that I plan on reading when it comes out.  Sergei Lukyanenko continues with his Watch series with Sixth Watch.  I probably will jump into Behind the Throne by K. B. Wagers because it is getting some good reviews and it looks to be another Orbit series that they are going to push fast and strong with subsequent releases every few months which, if solid enough, makes for some enjoyable reading.

Kind of on the fence with The Gate of Sorrows by Miyuki Miyabe.  It is billed as a sequel to one of her young adult books.  It sounds interesting, but I have never read the kids' book and I'm not sure how much depends on reading it.  The premise for the upcoming book though sounds appealing. 

A slightly different pace than the norm for me is The Gentleman by Leo Forest.  It looks like it could be fun.

The last book I have on my high interest list for this month is The Forgetting Moon by Brian Lee Durfee.  A new author from Saga Press which alone makes it interesting as they have had some varied success in authors with me and my shelves.

• 5 weeks later...

September looks a bit anemic in the epic fantasy department,especially with the delay of Thorn of Emberlain.

But there are some big SF releases:

The Gradual by Christopher Priest
Revenger by Alastair Reynolds
Death’s End by Cixin Liu.
Night Without Stars by Peter F. Hamilton

In fantasy:

Once Broken Faith by Seanan McGuire
Of Sand & Malice Made by Bradley Beaulieu
Gods of Nabban by K.V. Johansen
Ascendant’s Rite by David Hair
The Masked City by Genevieve Cogman
A Tale of the Free: Tyrant by Brian Ruckley
The Tengu’s Game of Go by Lian Hearn
The Fall of the House of Cabal by Jonathan L. Howard
Cloudbound by Fran Wilde
Magic Binds by Ilona Andrews
Red Tide by Marc Turner
The Queen of Blood by Sarah Beth Durst

Oh, and then there's the 1000+ pages crazy sounding book called "Jerusalem" by Alan Moore :D

Ibenus by Seth Skorkowsky came out yesterday. I really enjoy the Valducan books and think they're some of the best urban fantasy out there, especially from the indie scene.

(Self-Promo) Cthulhu Armageddon and Straight Outta Fangton by C.T. Phipps came out last month

Star Wars: Aftermath: Life Debt by Chuck Wendig

The Tower of the Swallow (English translation) by Andrjez Sapkowski

The Transition of Titus Crow (audiobook version) by Brian Lumley and narrated by Simon Vance

I also endorse Spiderlight

On 9/3/2016 at 8:36 PM, Baitac said:

Just a note to say that Peadar O'Guilin's The Call was just released. It's a fantasy YA book and it's goooood. Plus he's a board member, so check it out!

I can not agree with this statement.  It's not goooood.

Its fucking awesome.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2.9.2016 at 2:06 AM, AncalagonTheBlack said:

The Queen of Blood by Sarah Beth Durst

This has now been released. There are "only" 368 pages in hardcover.

https://www.amazon.com/Queen-Blood-Book-Queens-Renthia/dp/0062413341/

Set in the magical world of Renthia, The Queen of Blood is Sarah Beth Durst’s ambitious entry into adult epic fantasy. With the danger of Peter Brett’s The Warded Man, heart of Naomi Novik’s Uprooted, and lyricism of Patrick Rothfuss’ The Name of the Wind, this is the first chapter in a series destined to be a classic.

Terry Brooks really enjoyed The Queen of Blood:

“Wow, girl! What a great story! A truly wonderful fantasy novel which doubles as an allegory for our own earthly struggle between Man and Nature. Filled with fresh ideas and excitement, told with verve and heart. This book deserves a wide readership, and I think it will find one.”

• 3 months later...

January Releases

On my TBR pile:

The Heart of What Was Lost by Tad Williams
Dead Man’s Steel (Grim Company #3) by Luke Scull
The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden
The Cold Eye (Devil’s West #2) by Laura Anne Gilman

Death's Mistress by Goodkind is out this month too.Hopefully someone here will sacrifice his/her sanity and bring us a review.:D:P

• 1 month later...

February Releases

On my TBR pile:

Hungry Ghosts (Eric Carter #3) by Stephen Blackmoore
Fierce Gods (Heart of the World #4) by Col Buchanan
The Bear and the Serpent by Adrian Tchaikovsky
Miranda and Caliban by Jacqueline Carey
Shadowbahn by Steve Erickson
Kings of the Wyld by Nicholas Eames
Agents of Dreamland by Caitlín R. Kiernan

Hungry Ghosts is out tomorrow.wohoo! After the delay in publication,i'm excited to find what new trouble Eric lands himself in.:D

Archived