The Books That Have Just Come Out: New Release Thread

Maester Llama

On 10/4/2017 at 2:31 AM, Darth Richard II said:

Oh and don't forget *snicker* the 10th anniversary Name of the Wind *snicker*.!

The page edges are stained to look red! Like blood! *breaks down into laughter*

I still can't believe that some people are actually going to buy that.

4 hours ago, redeagl said:

I still can't believe that some people are actually going to buy that.

I was flipping through it at the store the other day. The new afterword is so...let's say Rothfuss. What with the shit goign on in his life and his charity I actually kind of feel bad for ragging on the dude for once, but an, who thought including that was a good idea?

On 2-10-2017 at 2:22 PM, AncalagonTheBlack said:

October is jam-packed with fantasy books i wanna read .:D On top of the list is of course the final book in Miles Cameron's Traitor Son Cycle.:thumbsup:

Blackwing (Raven's Mark #1) by Ed McDonald - October 3
Quillifer by Walter Jon Williams - October 3
The Core (Demon Cycle #5) by Peter V. Brett - October 3
The Tiger's Daughter (Bright Ascendency #1) by K. Arsenault Rivera - October 3
Destiny’s Conflict (Wars of Light and Shadow #10) by Janny Wurts - October 5
The Book of Swords ed. by Gardner Dozois - October 10
The Stone in the Skull (Lotus Kingdoms #1) by Elizabeth Bear - October 10
The Two of Swords: Volume One by K. J. Parker - October 17
Vallista (Vlad Taltos #15) by Steven Brust - October 17
The Fall of Dragons (Traitor Son Cycle #5) by Miles Cameron - October 19
La Belle Sauvage (Book of Dust #1) by Philip Pullman - October 19
A Pocketful of Crows by Joanne M. Harris - October 19
KA: Dar Oakley in the Ruin of Ymr by John Crowley - October 24
Hiddensee by Gregory Maguire - October 31
Malice of Crows (Shadow #3) by Lila Bowen - October 31

For me, there's a LOT in there but not sure if there is anything I really want to have.

Book of Swords jumps out because it has Sons of the Dragon, I'd like to know how long it is because I'd basically buy the hardcover just for that new piece of ASOIAF. It also includes stories by Lynch and Hobb, but the rest does not look interesting to me.

The Core- no one here seems to be talking about Peter Brett anymore, I am curious to see if he wraps it up in a good fashion. I know he lost it by book 3 and 4 but who knows?

Wurts- I remain intrigued even though eveyr time I read a sample I think "soooo slow".

Stone in the Skull- Another offering from Bear who tends to intrigue me and out me at a distance with her work at the same time. Looks good, but then I start it and I think "hmmm".

Parker: found him a bit dull really. Not good at creating characters, which is a must for me.

Crowley: Had that on the wishlist all year, but you have to wonder if it will be any good. First big work from him in many years.

Book of Dust: probably for kids to be honest, or adults who enjoy young adult fiction.

Miles Cameron: I still need to start "Red Knight" book 1.

Another author who just released a big new book is Charles De Lint, first novels for adults in 8 years even. It's called Wind in his Heart. 

On 9/25/2017 at 2:51 PM, C.T. Phipps said:

My newest book, I WAS A TEENAGE WEREDEER just came out two days ago. It's a comedic urban fantasy novel which follows a 18 year old weredeer detective in a cursed lumber town full of shapeshifters.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075TTN2FN

So far, people seem to really like it.

I will read a detective story all day.  Sold!

A Weredeer named Jane Doe...:rofl:

5 minutes ago, Frey Filet said:

I'm aware the final book of Ken Scholes' The Psalms of Isaak is coming out soon and am considering giving the series a try.  Has anyone here read him?  If so, what are your thoughts?

I read the first, and it was really godd and differnt, and um I haven't got to the second yet. But good to know that's coming out, he had some medical issues I believe?

15 hours ago, Frey Filet said:

I'm aware the final book of Ken Scholes' The Psalms of Isaak is coming out soon and am considering giving the series a try.  Has anyone here read him?  If so, what are your thoughts?

Definitely worth a shot. Books 1 and 2 ( Lamentation and Canticle) were well received but then there was a long wait for book 3 due to personal problems for the author. The series lost traction because of the years in between, and books 3 and 4, while getting solid but not exceptional reviews, did not seem to have brought the series to the fore again. Still, final book out in 2 months, completing what was once thought of as a new saga as prominent as Abercrombie, Lynch, Rothfuss. Reminds me a bit of Peter Brett actually in the sense that it never became what people thought.

20 hours ago, Frey Filet said:

I really enjoy them.

20 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

I read the first, and it was really godd and differnt, and um I haven't got to the second yet. But good to know that's coming out, he had some medical issues I believe?

Maybe.  I'm pretty sure one of his parents died, and then the other fell terribly ill to also eventually die, and maybe one of his kids had health issues as well or maybe it was his wife.  He had a pretty bad run there for awhile.

On 10/10/2017 at 9:53 AM, Calibandar said:

The Core- no one here seems to be talking about Peter Brett anymore, I am curious to see if he wraps it up in a good fashion. I know he lost it by book 3 and 4 but who knows?

I'm looking forward to it.  It will be my first read once I'm done with my Halloween reading.  The magic system is exciting enough that I don't care too much about the criticisms of the books.

1 hour ago, Calibandar said:

The hillbilly dialect is what got to me and ended my reading when that became ever more prevalent.

God, I had completely blocked that.  Thanks for reminding me, now I can mentally prepare myself.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

January is pretty boring.Might get the new Senlin Ascends reissue by Orbit.

Django Wexler's The Infernal Battalion (Shadow Campaigns #5) is out next week, but i'm way behind in the series,having only read the first book.

Oh,and Alastair Reynolds returns to the Revelation Space universe with Elysium Fire, which i think is a follow-up to The Prefect.Out on 23/25 Jan.

Archived