Empire of Silence by Christopher Ruocchio

Space Unicorn Blues by TJ Berry

The Robots of Gotham by Todd McAulty

City of Lies by Sam Hawke

The World Is a Narrow Bridge by Aaron Thier

The Grey Bastards by Jonathan French

The Traitor God by Cameron Johnston

Any of these good?

I'm a third into City of Lies, which I bought on the strength of Robin Hobb's recommendation and it being about some young guy apprenticing to become a poisoner (an itch that somehow badly needed scratching). It has some interesting ideas but hasn't really gripped me yet. I think my problem is with the first-person perspective; the novel has two alternating narrators who are probably meant to complement each other (a girl with a frail body and a mildly autistic boy) but have very similar narrative voices. There’s also quite a bit of tell-not-show expository writing about the world and society that feels unnatural in the first person and drags down the pace. Also, unexciting combat scenes, and not nearly enough poisoning. The world building is interesting: a high-culture, low-technology patrician city state that gets caught up in a political and military crisis. Lots of actors and intrigues. The plot seems to be building up to something. I’ll keep reading to see where it goes.

13 hours ago, Garlan the Gallant said:

Has anyone read any of the following?

Empire of Silence by Christopher Ruocchio

Space Unicorn Blues by TJ Berry

The Robots of Gotham by Todd McAulty

City of Lies by Sam Hawke

The World Is a Narrow Bridge by Aaron Thier

The Grey Bastards by Jonathan French

The Traitor God by Cameron Johnston

Any of these good?

I have read The Traitor God and it's a decent noirish high magic fantasy set in a city.Finished it in 6 hours ,so a quick read.

I'm reading City of Lies at the moment (first chapter so far).I like the writing, but can't tell you more than that right now.

• 3 weeks later...

I’m reading Empire of Silence now.  Amazon heavily pimped it to me and I bought it in a moment of weakness.  It’s like the background of Dune with a Name of the Wind storyline (except, at the moment at least, the main character gets beaten up and taken advantage of all the time). It’s ok.  The writing is decent and if you like slow moving plots with plenty of background info it might be a thing.  I’ve read about a third but I’m going to drop it for a bit to read the new James Oswald.

A pretty poor year for epic fantasy thus far,but August looks to be a bumper month that could change that.

The Tower of Living and Dying (Empires of Dust #2) by Anna Smith Spark
Foundryside (The Founders #1) by Robert Jackson Bennett
Ravencry (Raven's Mark #2) by Ed McDonald - US edition
Darksoul (Godblind #2) by Anna Stephens - UK edition
Bloody Rose (The Band #2) by Nicholas Eames
Cold Iron by Miles Cameron - UK edition
The Fall of Gondolin by J. R. R. Tolkien

6 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Well I’m liking City of Lies a LOT.

I can't wait to read this one as the author actually lives in my city. My local bookshop is doing a launch of the book. Sadly, I can't go but, hopefully might be able to swing a signed copy.

• 1 month later...

Anyone given Blackfish City a try? I'm interested but never read anything else by the author before (a quick search shows this is his first adult novel)

Realise this is somewhat late since the book was released in April so isn't exactly 'new'

• 4 months later...

Thread resurrection time!

Feb. is looking good for some new epic fantasy.Here's what i plan on reading:

Black Leopard, Red Wolf (Dark Star #1) by Marlon James (February 5, Riverhead Books)
The Ruin of Kings (A Chorus of Dragons #1) by Jenn Lyons (February 5, Tor Books)
For the Killing of Kings by Howard Andrew Jones (February 19, St. Martin’s Press)
The Raven Tower by Ann Leckie (February 26, Orbit Books)
The Blackest Heart (Five Warrior Angels #2) by Brian Lee Durfee (February 26, Saga Press)

Anything interesting that the rest of you are looking forward to this month?

On 2/2/2019 at 3:50 PM, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Thread resurrection time!

Feb. is looking good for some new epic fantasy.Here's what i plan on reading:

Black Leopard, Red Wolf (Dark Star #1) by Marlon James (February 5, Riverhead Books)
The Ruin of Kings (A Chorus of Dragons #1) by Jenn Lyons (February 5, Tor Books)
For the Killing of Kings by Howard Andrew Jones (February 19, St. Martin’s Press)
The Raven Tower by Ann Leckie (February 26, Orbit Books)
The Blackest Heart (Five Warrior Angels #2) by Brian Lee Durfee (February 26, Saga Press)

Anything interesting that the rest of you are looking forward to this month?

Black leopard isn't out until end of feb in UK or Amazon us posting it from the moon. Making an interesting choice between it and raven tower at the end of the month

Ruin of kings sounds tempting too

Archived