The Books That Have Just Come Out: New Release Thread

Maester Llama

I mean, I’ll also enjoy a James Patterson from time to time.  It takes all sorts.  But yeah, I suppose I did mean that Priory of the Orange Tree is more literary than Ruin of Kings, or something like that.

17 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I just added Priory of the Orange tree to my Kobo cart after having my eye caught by the absolutely fantastic cover and enjoying the couple of pages I read of it, so I'll be reading that soon. Good to hear it's strong.

I wouldn't say RoK is much like Sanderson though? I mean, I guess in being about big, extravagant magic and strict interpretation of the rules thereof, it has that resemblance, but it's a lot more vicious and twisty and just better written as well imo.

Anyway, I finished it today, and while by the end there was just maybe a bit too much twisting-for-twisting's-sake, I did enjoy it a lot. The one major downmark is purely for the ebook version, or at least the way it interacts with my Tolino, because it turns out that there are footnotes galore but the only indication that this was even the case while reading was one asterisk I noticed in the text but it didn't link to anything so assumed it was in error, and none of the others were even indicated. First real indication that they were even there was when I finished the book and the footnotes popped up.

Footnotes are always a hassle in ebooks to be fair, but this was pretty poor. Maybe it's not the same if you read it on a Kindle or Kobo.

I loathe footnotes in any format. I honestly don't need to know the authors "bible" if they can't insert it organically into the main prose. For a novel it rips me out of the story every single time they do it. I know it's a stylistic thing but it's one i don't "get". It almost ruined "Jonathan strange and Mr norrel' and i think i eventually stopped reading the footnotes as the only way to get through the book.

Oddly I'm tolerant of footnotes in non-fiction particularly science or history. They are often useful there but i guess it's because i read these books for information and not for story.

7 hours ago, red snow said:

I loathe footnotes in any format. I honestly don't need to know the authors "bible" if they can't insert it organically into the main prose. For a novel it rips me out of the story every single time they do it.

I like a well-executed footnote, tbh- I liked Strange and Norrell well enough, and Pratchett does it very well- but these are a bit different anyway since, apart from anything else, the question of who's writing them and why would have been a part of the plot if I knew they were there, and they're as much a running commentary on the plot as just explanations for what's going on. Which makes it doubly annoying that I didn't catch them in the right place.

5 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I like a well-executed footnote, tbh- I liked Strange and Norrell well enough, and Pratchett does it very well- but these are a bit different anyway since, apart from anything else, the question of who's writing them and why would have been a part of the plot if I knew they were there, and they're as much a running commentary on the plot as just explanations for what's going on. Which makes it doubly annoying that I didn't catch them in the right place.

I often hope the audio versions consult with the author as to where they'd ideally like the footnote to be consulted. Eg instantaneously or at the end of a sentence/paragraph/page or as optional asides.

March looks mostly like science fiction month, some notable releases:

Ancestral Night by Elizabeth Bear (March 5, Saga Press)
The Migration by Helen Marshall (March 5, Random House/ Titan Books)
The True Queen by Zen Cho (March 12, Ace)
The Rosewater Insurrection by Tade Thompson (March 12, Orbit)
Luna: Moon Rising by Ian McDonald (March 19, Tor)
The Light Brigade by Kameron Hurley (March 19, Saga Press)
Permafrost by Alastair Reynolds (March 19, Tor)
The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison (March 21, Solaris) - UK debut
A Memory Called Empire by Arkady Martine (March 26, Tor)
Tiamat’s Wrath by James S.A. Corey (March 26, Orbit)

I really enjoyed Rosewater so the sequel is going to be a quick pickup.

Elizabeth Bear doing proper space opera is a big draw too- she's touched on it before particularly with the Jacobs Ladder trilogy but not gone full on galactic empire stuff. Hopefully it's as successful as the Eternal Sky books were for epic fantasy.

A Memory Called Empire could be interesting too as space opera goes, hopefully it's as politically-maneuver based as the blurb implies coz we could do with some of that. Not necessarily GOT IN SPACE but a bit more a aSoIaF influence in the occasional space opera book wouldn't go amiss.

31 minutes ago, unJon said:

Nice. The new Luna book. I’ve been enjoying that series. It’s like The Godfather set on the Moon. 

With lots and lots of sex.Of various flavours too

I still need to read book two as i did enjoy book 1. Certainly something for fans of the expanse to try in terms of solar system based SF

Started The Priory of the Orange Tree today, about 150 pages in or so... I'm glad I didn't realise that Shannon is the same person who wrote Bone Season because I wasn't super impressed with that and it might have put me off, but this is really excellent and hits a lot of my sweet spots in how magic and mystery in the world is presented, with a really intriguing mythos. It does hit the occasional character cliche and might be starting off running too many plots at once instantly, though that second is more a personal preference than anything, and other than that... well, it's just really good.

Also one thing that both this and Ruin of Kings do well: they both give good dragon.

I agree about Bone Season, it did put me off initially. But they are different kinds of books, Priory is more about picking a few classic tropes and doing something interesting with them whereas Bone Season is more complex in terms of the amount of stuff she had in the world.  Plus many exhausting YA tropes (imho).

• 4 weeks later...

Full April list.Some notable releases:

The War Within (The Great God’s War #2)—Stephen R. Donaldson (April 2, Berkley)
Cage of Souls - Adrian Tchaikovsky (April 4, Head of Zeus)
Beneath the World, a Sea -Chris Beckett (April 4, Corvus)
Holy Sister (Book of the Ancestor #3)—Mark Lawrence (April 9, Ace)
Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City—K. J. Parker (April 9, Orbit)
Seven Blades in Black (Grave of Empires #1)—Sam Sykes (April 9, Orbit)
Upon a Burning Throne (Burnt Empire #1)—Ashok K. Banker (April 16, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt)
Fire Season (Eric Carter #4)—Stephen Blackmoore (April 16, DAW)
A Time of Blood (Of Blood & Bone #2)—John Gwynne (April 16, Orbit)
A Boy and His Dog at the End of the World - C.A. Fletcher (Charlie Fletcher) (April 23, Orbit)
Storm of Locusts (The Sixth World #2) - Rebecca Roanhorse (April 23, Saga Press)
The Unbound Empire (Swords and Fire #3) - Melissa Caruso (April 30, Orbit)

3 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Full April list.Some notable releases:

Cage of Souls - Adrian Tchaikovsky (April 4, Head of Zeus)
Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City—K. J. Parker (April 9, Orbit)

Looking forward to these two.

Archived