The Malice by Peter Newman - May 19
Who Killed Sherlock Holmes? by Paul Cornell - May 19
The City of Mirrors by Justin Cronin - May 24
A Blade of Black Steel by Alex Marshall - May 24
Leviathan’s Blood by Ben Peek - May 31
Dancer's Lament by Ian C. Esslemont - May 31

10 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Who Killed Sherlock Holmes? by Paul Cornell - May 19

Let me know what you think about that one.  I was kind of disappointed by the last one.

1 hour ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

I don't know how i missed this,but David Anthony Durham's new historical novel, “The Risen" came out on the 3rd.

Reviews:

'The Risen,' an absorbing new historical novel about Spartacus

The Risen Is Historical Fiction for Fantasy Fans

Oh, nice! Also very interested in the new Claire North. Thanks!

2 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Think you posted that in the wrong topic :P

To whom are you referring?  Because 

2 hours ago, unJon said:

Came out a few days ago. 

Seems to make it fit in "The Books That Have Just Come Out" thread.  

I thought the Romanovs came out in January or something? Or maybe that was just this side of the pond. Glad to hear it's decent though, I'm hoping to pick it up as Summer reading

11 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I thought the Romanovs came out in January or something? Or maybe that was just this side of the pond. Glad to hear it's decent though, I'm hoping to pick it up as Summer reading

Maybe just the ebook release then. I preordered long ago and I downloaded in May. 

On 5-5-2016 at 6:15 PM, AncalagonTheBlack said:

I don't know how i missed this,but David Anthony Durham's new historical novel, “The Risen" came out on the 3rd.

Reviews:

'The Risen,' an absorbing new historical novel about Spartacus

The Risen Is Historical Fiction for Fantasy Fans

Will give an excerpt of that a try.

Same for the Romanovs book that Unjon mentioned.

3 hours ago, unJon said:

Maybe just the ebook release then. I preordered long ago and I downloaded in May. 

That's possibly the reason then. I only remember because there was a big display window of them in Waterstones when it was released. I think I'll be getting it in hardback though, as it seems like a book I'll want to be able to flip back and forth through more easily.

12 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Anyone know anything about Too Like the Lightning? New SciFi debut, has a blurb from Steven Brust, which I don't think I've ever seen before. Looked interesting.

Jo Walton review makes it sound excellent. Part 1 of a four part series. Part 2 coming out in December which is nice. I may try this, it sounds like the type of SF book I would enjoy. 

2 hours ago, Maia said:

The first 4 chapters have been posted on tor.com:

http://www.tor.com/2016/04/12/excerpts-ada-palmer-too-like-the-lightning-chapters-1-and-2/

I am enjoying them, but then, I sometimes read 18th - 19th century novels for pleasure and I also loved Brust's "Paarfi Romances",so...

Same here. :P probaly pick this one up on my next run. 

On 5/4/2016 at 3:05 PM, RedEyedGhost said:

Let me know what you think about that one.  I was kind of disappointed by the last one.

Well, I read this blog post, and Paul sold at least one book because of it.  Hopefully it won't have the same problems the first two had, which is that the last ~10% of each was Paul pointing out how clever he is by showing us in extreme step-by-step detail what we had already witnessed as we read the freaking books.  The premise of this one is too intriguing to pass up.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know anything about Todd Lockwood's debut? I like his art( I know a lot of people here don't) and its bout DRAGONS YAY DRAGONS but it has a suspiciously high amazon rating, and that always makes me pause, particularly when I've heard nothing about it in any other circles.

It's been garnering good reviews, but I haven't taken the plunge myself yet.  I like his art too and it has an interesting premise so I'll probably try it at some point.

Archived