[Book Spoilers] Theon - I talk to the trees but they don't listen to me

jet199

I can't believe they just squashed most of AFFC and ADWD into ten episodes.

I can't believe they did this and felt they had to add seemingly unnecessary plots such as Missande/Grey Worm and the entire Dorne debacle! WTG!

I like Vikings better, now that is a show with some writers!

Ser Barristan says hi.

Brienne's been way more prominent than Barristan in the show. It's not even close. Barristan got to deliver more exposition about the Mad King to Dany and got a big fight scene before he went out -- Brienne hasn't really done anything this season yet so to just up and kill her would seem to defeat the entire purpose of her heading North. Not to mention the fact that they've been beating us over the head with her desire to kill Stannis.

I imagine though, it would extremely difficult to have Bran be told he can't communicate with anyone, yet he's already communicated with Theon. Obviously, in the books it's a lot more ambiguous and more a feeling Theon gets than anything. That's hard to do I think.

I think in the books the tree actually changes to look like Bran's face. That might look a bit silly on screen.

We have seen a few crows/ravens around Winterfell. Maybe they will cut out the tree part and have a crow talk to him instead. Although this could also look quite bad.

I think a large section of the unsullied might assume that Theon is going mad if they show this arc. However that might be fun. Make it look like Theon is seeing stuff and then reveal that Bran really is talking to him next season.

Does nobody watch the previews??

Sansa plots with Theon.

Then in the snow, Ramsay shows her something and she completely breaks down & cries.

My prediction - Theon remains useless, Sansa then decides to light the candle.

BriPod enter WF.

Ramsay captures them. Flays them alive and shows their dead bodies to Sansa. That is why she breaks down.

Final scene- This was my wedding GIFT to you, Sansa.

Episode ends with Sansa staring at their dead bodies. Now she knows the only person that can save her is Jon snow.

I can see some of this being true, but I highly doubt that Bri/Pod will be flayed by Ramsay in the next episode. Mainly because of the amount of time spent on these two, with nothing to show. They are building to something and I personally think it is working on an escape plan.

Also, Sansa told Brieane to go away. Not sure how she would react looking up seeing her flayed. Possibly she would realize no one is left to help her, but I just don't think that likely.

Personally, IF anyone is flayed I suspect it to be Mryanda. This would be Ramsay's way of showing Sansa what happens to those who who have no use for him.

One thing is for certain, after what we have seen, Theon is supposed to make a big comeback. Devine intervention is what he needs. the Weirwood scene is the answer. This will give him the courage to tell Sansa of her brothers and will in turn, give her hope as right now, she has very little.

Brienne's been way more prominent than Barristan in the show. It's not even close. Barristan got to deliver more exposition about the Mad King to Dany and got a big fight scene before he went out -- Brienne hasn't really done anything this season yet so to just up and kill her would seem to defeat the entire purpose of her heading North. Not to mention the fact that they've been beating us over the head with her desire to kill Stannis.

ITA. Though I think the writing quality can vary widely, I definitely don't think they put in dialogue like that if they don't have some kind of follow-through, most likely this season. (Sadly, I also think that's why Shireen will burn... Too much dialogue and characterization related to it).

They could make it ambiguous like they did in the books with Theon just hearing whispering through trees or something (if this scene is included at all). They could even use Bran's voice from past seasons if the actor didn't shoot/record anything whatsoever for this season. Would be a nice scene to have but I'm not getting my hopes up.

I'm thinking this too, that they will use his voice from past seasons. Similar to how Bran had visions with Ned in them last season.

The series concept of content is very strange, they basically split ASOS into two season, taking in more plotpoints and more content. I thought this was done to maintain continuity so the books could be completed without the series coming to a halt, which would have given them seasons 5,6,7,8 or at least 5,6 from AFFC&ADWD and one or two additional seasons from Winds of Winter, in which time the books could be completed... It seems they have gone a different route. If they were intent on keeping up with the books AFFC&ADWD plus TWOW would have been at least 3 seasons and at most 6 seasons.

The series concept of content is very strange, they basically split ASOS into two season, taking in more plotpoints and more content. I thought this was done to maintain continuity so the books could be completed without the series coming to a halt, which would have given them seasons 5,6,7,8 or at least 5,6 from AFFC&ADWD

They said they originally made some outlines for using two seasons for AFFC&ADWD but in the end there were no good cutoff points to end season 5 because they still had to juggle all characters unlike in the books and that would have meant arcs cut in half with no payoff during the whole season.

*Book spoilers obviously, but then, the entire thread seems to be spoiling it so... seriously turn back if you haven't read them lol*

If Theon doesn't get that godswood scene I'll be really upset. Ignoring the whole "They sacrificed Sansa for the sake of giving Theon some character development!" complaint for a bit, it's his story I've been worried about all year. I want him to feel like a main character with his own scenes again, not the side character he currently appears to be. It's stressful to see the Unsullied Twitter Legions refer to him as such, when you consider how captivating his arc in ADWD was.

And, also, I've said this a lot before, but it will be a tragic disservice to both Alfie Allen and Ramin Djawadi if that scene doesn't make it in. With them working together, it has the potential to be one of the most emotional moments in the whole story.

Alfie has been overlooked in favor of Peter Dinklage but I suspect this year, Alfie may get the supporting actor nod. Well deserved.

Yes I agree.

Just re-read the confession scene in the books... at the end of it, Theon is interrupted by the spearwives... I wonder if something similar will happen in the show and if Brienne will eavesdrop his confession...

Yes I would imagine that Brienne will make her way into the scene. I actually found it rather odd that she did not appear in the last episode.

I can. The books are essentially one long travelogue, especially FfC. The Vale is boring, and Dorne is not all that interesting (to me). Much of the stuff in the books is just not that interesting for tv. there also seemed to be a ton of internal dialogue, or thoughts. Some of the incidents, IMO, could easily be boiled down. Some of the new povs were cut, mostly because they probably don't serve that much of a point in the endgame...

Also HBO seems to like to keep their series short, I think. This one is supposedly only going 7 or 8 seasons.

They said they originally made some outlines for using two seasons for AFFC&ADWD but in the end there were no good cutoff points to end season 5 because they still had to juggle all characters unlike in the books and that would have meant arcs cut in half with no payoff during the whole season.

That might very well be the case, but to exclude so much material in order to keep the highly arbitrary series timetable, still strikes me as odd. If you consider the amount of material and how comparativly slow the previous season moved, it seems strange to compress the series so much. Granted, they are working with information most do not yet have, but it seems as though HBO has set a limit in regards to the number of seasons.

I know it's not always accurate but I don't see Brienne or Pod on the cast of last three episodes on IMDB. Maybe they do bite it this time? Would really suck. Her entire arc for all these seasons comes to naught. Maybe that's how they get Jamie to go North - revenge.

Or maybe IMDB doesn't know squat about future episodes!

That might very well be the case, but to exclude so much material in order to keep the highly arbitrary series timetable, still strikes me as odd. If you consider the amount of material and how comparativly slow the previous season moved, it seems strange to compress the series so much. Granted, they are working with information most do not yet have, but it seems as though HBO has set a limit in regards to the number of seasons.

Yes most HBO series only run for 5-7 seasons (correct me if I am wrong).

Also from a practical standpoint, and this may not be one people want to hear, but book readers may be more patient with slower scenes--especially those written by good authors. That does not always make for good tv, and many people watch tv to be entertained. If you are a casual fan of the show, for example, the lack of action and suspense may be a turn off. I mean how much can they possible show about Cersei, Margery, and the HS before people are like (to take from Bronn) "oh fuck me" please give me another RW.

Also, unlike the books, I think the viewers-only crowd has been telegraphed to watch/love certain characters, and in a sense this was a problem some people had with DwD and FfC. So long sequences with no Jon, Dany, etc could just bore people to death. Margery is a terrible character in the book IMO, and even worst on screen. If they flesh that arc out anymore on screen, that would perhaps send a lot of viewers packing. I know plenty of readers, including myself, who were like WTF, where is Jon in FfC. Brienne is a swell character, I like her, but how well do you think the audience will receive essentially a lengthy a travelogue?

Archived