[Book Spoilers] Rant and Rave without Repercussion V2

Chebyshov

They have to release the dragons and have Dany fly off.

Hardome takes a third of an episode, then Olly will stab Jon.

Something????? eventually has to happen in Dorne.

The hellish Winterfell plot has to end.

Loras gets tried for being gay

Walk of shame.

That doesn't really leave that much time to build Arya's story, we'll get some scene with her and Tom, and then BOOM, she will kill the merchant and then next thing you know she'll kill Trant. The end.

You know, your mentioning Hardhome just reminded me that something about Jon and Tormund's scene in ep. 5 just didn't quite sit right with me. I've not really been able to put my finger on it until now. It just seemed a bit unrealistic that Tormund would be able to dictate to Jon, the Lord Commander of the NW, in that situation (i.e. refusing to go unless Jon goes, too).

Maybe it's not too big of a deal but I just think it would have played much better as Jon freeing Tormund while explaining to him that he's not going to abandon the Wildlings at Hardhome to death and quite probably undeath at the hands of the Others. So, he's going to go get them and it would probably go even smoother if Tormund were on board, too.

I think Tormund would have given a fist pump while yelling "Fuck yeah! When do we leave?!!!" in such a situation and it would have gotten us to exactly the same place without having a guy with very little power in this setting dictating terms based on the extremely flimsy premise that "it might be a trap!" (someone will have to explain that reasoning to me).

Finally, I think it could have made an even better contrast this way to Dany's not giving her prisoner Hizdar any choice in the matter of the political marriage.

D&D? Is this you?

Heh, I wish. I would make so many changes.

I'm just saying, it's really not terribly enlightening to compare the screentime of supporting figures in one storyline to characters in another. Olly is Jon's squire; he appears in that capacity (as well as in Night's Watch group scenes), and Jon has a lot of screentime. He's also almost certainly being built up as one of Jon's assassins, so there's a legitimate story reason for focus on him.

I think Tormund would have given a fist pump while yelling "Fuck yeah! When do we leave?!!!" in such a situation and it would have gotten us to exactly the same place without having a guy with very little power in this setting dictating terms based on the extremely flimsy premise that "it might be a trap!" (someone will have to explain that reasoning to me).

I would say that Tormund does have power in that setting, in that he has something that Jon desperately wants, that being his cooperation; and Jon has already failed to get it from the previous Wildling chieftain.

Why does Olly exist at all? This the question.

There is no time for Wyman Manderly, but we got all kinds of time for Olly? Ridiculous. Fuck. They could have sent Osha to White Harbor and he could have given the North remembers speech to her. They could have given him 3 scenes before he joins with Stannis and he could have given it to Davos in a different setting or to Stannis directlhy.

Cliche ridden, telegraphed from episode one, Olly? No. It is total BS.

Books aside, there is no flow to the story anymore. It is exactly like the soap operas I used to have to watch with my grandmother. I half expect the character to look at the camera and go DUN DUN DUN after each goofy line.

Welcome. I tried to keep up with the show as the show, paid close attention to the lines and the visuals, and it just doesn't pay off. And now it's melodrama.

I think Tormund would have given a fist pump while yelling "Fuck yeah! When do we leave?!!!"

That would have been awesome. Followed up by a dick joke. Just one. In this show is just one Tormund dick joke too much to ask. And a "Har". A dick joke and a "Har".

Why does Olly exist at all? This the question.

There is no time for Wyman Manderly, but we got all kinds of time for Olly? Ridiculous. Fuck. They could have sent Osha to White Harbor and he could have given the North remembers speech to her. They could have given him 3 scenes before he joins with Stannis and he could have given it to Davos in a different setting or to Stannis directlhy.

Cliche ridden, telegraphed from episode one, Olly? No. It is total BS.

Yes, that's the point. He shouldn't even be on the show in the first place. He's a joke.

There is no time for Wyman Manderly, but we got all kinds of time for Olly?

Again, a silly comparison. Olly has had, what, one notable dialogue scene so far this season, which directly sets up his being an assassin (and rather effectively conveys the conflicts that Jon is having with the Night's Watch over his plans)? Otherwise, he's a background player in other people's scenes. You could not take all his screentime and give it to another character in a completely separate plot.

Again, a silly comparison. Olly has had, what, one notable dialogue scene so far this season, which directly sets up his being an assassin? Otherwise, he's a background player in other people's scenes. You could not take all his screentime and give it to another character in a completely separate plot.

I don't feel like manderly needs much set up have roose and Ramsay talking about northern lords menti

It's from here.

Sophie has read her character's chapters. But, in any event, with the changes made the character's headspace would really be of dubious use to her, seeing as the central characterization of Sansa in the books at this point is the Sansa/Alayne personality clash, which is totally irrelevant in the show. That's actually a good example for why many actors don't read the books and prefer to work just off the show's materials, since it avoids contradicting what the writers do.

Ah, yes, I had forgotten reading that. I was just letting my ego get the best of me for a minute there! ;) I was just thinking that knowing the books could be helpful to me in understanding why changes are being made in the show. But I fully acknowledge that actors have different ways of approaching their roles and what may help me might not help anyone else. Also, only reading my character's chapters wouldn't be enough for me either. I'd want to know how I'd fit into the larger picture but, again, that's just me.

Again, a silly comparison. Olly has had, what, one notable dialogue scene so far this season, which directly sets up his being an assassin? Otherwise, he's a background player in other people's scenes. You could not take all his screentime and give it to another character in a completely separate plot.

I don't feel like manderly needs much set up have roose and Ramsay talking about northern lords they mention the fat man being suspicious then have stannis talk about needing northern support( If he still wants that not sure since he seems to outnumber Bolton but then he doesn't and needs wildlings?) Jon says get mandey and the rest will follow he's rich and has the most men he sends Davos (via batfingers private jet)and bang the north remembers book fans placated and d&d can go back to ruining stuff.

I would say that Tormund does have power in that setting, in that he has something that Jon desperately wants, that being his cooperation; and Jon has already failed to get it from the previous Wildling chieftain.

Well, Tormund's a prisoner right up until that moment. Hypothetically, if Jon were a bit different personality what would have stopped him from simply telling Tormund he'll do it or Olly will be fetching his sword again? Now, Jon wouldn't do that but I still think setting Tormund free, so that his freedom isn't contingent on his cooperation, and telling him he's going to Hardhome with or without him (but he'd rather do it with him) would have played much better. Basically, the show runners wanted Jon in Hardhome but I think it would have been better if they'd simply made it Jon's idea from the beginning rather than having Tormund pressure him into it. Also, what was that about Hardhome maybe being a trap? And, if it is, how is Jon going to protect against that? Would it be a trap set by the NW for Tormund? I don't understand...

ETA: Also, wasn't Jon just talking to Olly about needing the Wildlings, they're people, too, etc.? And then he has to be extorted into going to rescue some? I guess that's another reason why that scene didn't play as well for me as it could have. And it wouldn't have taken much at all to have it be Jon's idea to lead the Hardhome expedition from the beginning.

I've figured something out. When Sansa puts the candle in the window for the Bri-signal, the Westeros version of this will happen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3k9xYwM4M0

Bri and Pod don't have to stare at the tower all night after all!

:smug:

Excellent! :lol:

(Sadly, makes me remember when I had hopes this adaptation would be even a little bit as good as LOTR...)

Excellent! :lol:

(Sadly, makes me remember when I had hopes this adaptation would be even a little bit as good as LOTR...)

LOTR wasn't a perfect adaption of course, it was pretty damn good. This was a great scene. D&D might as well steal it as any. :)

That would have been awesome. Followed up by a dick joke. Just one. In this show is just one Tormund dick joke too much to ask. And a "Har". A dick joke and a "Har".

Unfortunately, yes. I, too, miss the more...uh, outgoing Tormund from the books. Just a little bit of that would have been nice.

So, in the previous thread there was talk of Sophie saying the stuff she did because she's been told to by D&D. But I stumbled upon this interview from nytimes which makes me seriously wonder what is going on inside her head, no disrespect, because one of the Ds has said the exact opposite of what she says in this interview:

"[...] And shes kind of wanted to forget about her roots. Even through her clothing you can see it. Shes got the black dress, the black hair. Shes getting away from her Tully and Stark roots completely. I think she wants to forget about that rather than go back and become the Lady of Winterfell or whatever.

Q.

Why do you think she wants to get rid of those roots?

A.

When people think of the Starks, they think of them as very easily manipulatable. She really wanted to create a house of her own.

Whut?

Wow, just wow. Is she an idiot?

So, in the previous thread there was talk of Sophie saying the stuff she did because she's been told to by D&D. But I stumbled upon this interview from nytimes which makes me seriously wonder what is going on inside her head, no disrespect, because one of the Ds has said the exact opposite of what she says in this interview:

"[...] And shes kind of wanted to forget about her roots. Even through her clothing you can see it. Shes got the black dress, the black hair. Shes getting away from her Tully and Stark roots completely. I think she wants to forget about that rather than go back and become the Lady of Winterfell or whatever.

Q.

Why do you think she wants to get rid of those roots?

A.

When people think of the Starks, they think of them as very easily manipulatable. She really wanted to create a house of her own.

Whut?

I've never, ever cared what the actors think of their parts. They're actors, not writers. Plus, so many of them don't even read the books and are getting all their information from the bozos Ding & Dong.

Still, it is incredible how wrong she is in every way possible. Good grief.

Archived