Why not kill Sansa?

JJ Crow

Let me preface this by saying...I really like show Sansa and really like the arc the show has put her on. My question is... why not have her killed? Why leave a Stark alive for the Northerners to rally around? The Boltons already have the north. I just don't see how keeping her alive and in Winterfell is sound strategy.

Well their is no spolier ref in topic so all I would say is that these fuedal houses seem to think that some appearance of a claim to lands and titles is better then just might is right.

They are just recycling Sansa character for use at this time of story. The fact that her story arc in the future would prevent Boltons from getting rid of her because she is really a threat does not seem to bother the writers much even if it does not seem to make sense to some viewer.

We have critiqued LF to death for being all over the place in his scheming this HBO season

Let me preface this by saying...I really like show Sansa and really like the arc the show has put her on. My question is... why not have her killed? Why leave a Stark alive for the Northerners to rally around? The Boltons already have the north. I just don't see how keeping her alive and in Winterfell is sound strategy.

I would question what you could possibly find appealing about this arc... but that's not the point of this thread. To answer your question, the Boltons have a bit of a problem. They killed Robb Stark and are now in control of the North, an area which is filled with those who love and respect the Starks. Killing the last (known) living Stark could not help strengthen their position - the North isn't going to accept them because they're "the only choice". With the Starks completely dead, every Northern family would start thinking about having a crack at Winterfell, and do so with plenty of reasons to hate the Boltons. Instead, a marriage to Sansa will join the lines of Bolton and Stark. For the security of the North, Roose can say "join us and fight for my half Stark grandson!"

Henry VII did something similar with Elizabeth of York. He wed a prominent York Lady and finally joined Lancaster and York forces together, ending the war of the Roses and ushering in the (mostly stable) Tudor dynasty.

I thought of this too.

Her children if any, will not be called Stark.So why is she so crucial..

She could have easily stayed in the Vale which is well protected and has her fathers loyalists.

I wondered why she left. So unless the story is illogical (which sadly it is o_0 ), I think they should kill her, or she will end up just a torture victim. Joffrey,Ramsey,NW rapists who know.. God dunno why

She is crucial because she is a Stark. Marrying her legitamises Ramsey and the Bolton hold over the North.

Much of the North hates the Boltons and loves the Starks. Roose knows this and also knows that, as far as the rest of the North is concerned, Sansa is the only surviving Stark. If they can get her to marry Ramsey, they take away the one person everyone else might rally around.

There is a theory in the book section that she will be engaged and/or married several times. Ramsay would only be her third. Stannis could have her join him if he continues to Kings Landing; that might be why Selyse, Shireen, and Melisandre are joining the march. Or Brienne could rescue her before Stannis gets there and take her anywhere.

Alternately,

Sansa could be Jon's Nissa Nissa

I sorta agree with OP. Keeping Sansa alive would only give people/other houses in the North someone to rally behind. Usually, marriage is used to ally with someone with power, and the Starks are done as far as people know at this point in the story.

I sorta agree with OP. Keeping Sansa alive would only give people/other houses in the North someone to rally behind. Usually, marriage is used to ally with someone with power, and the Starks are done as far as people know at this point in the story.

She's needed for legitimacy. Just like "Arya" was. An appointment by the crown that is rapidly losing power and thousands of miles away will only go but so far. The Boltons need a Stark to cement their "right" to Winterfell.

She's needed for legitimacy. Just like "Arya" was. An appointment by the crown that is rapidly losing power and thousands of miles away will only go but so far. The Boltons need a Stark to cement their "right" to Winterfell.

Well, they just need "a" Sansa, not necessarily "the" Sansa, like "Arya" in the book. Plus, the Boltons already have Winterfell.

Her wolf is dead. I thought that rules her character out at some point

Stannis won't make Kings Landing that would be absurd. Goes south to go north to go back south what a roundabout. Unless he really is the lightbringer, but I thought that was a parlour trick?

That wall is gonna come down at some point. Why have the horn of winter

Who knows Dany hasn't been to Asshai either

Well, they just need "a" Sansa, not necessarily "the" Sansa, like "Arya" in the book. Plus, the Boltons already have Winterfell.

But they could easily lose it. And they already have the Sansa so why get rid of her for a Sansa? Her role is legitimacy. The real one brings more of it.

But they could easily lose it. And they already have the Sansa so why get rid of her for a Sansa? Her role is legitimacy. The real one brings more of it.

How are you basing this logic? Theon and Jeyne? If the letter was real, or if it was forgery? This remains to be spoiled.

In the books she has been reduced to a bastard. Rickon was the heir that Manderley had.

Legitimacy of the North against the Others? Stannis unites the North as Rob II reborn?

Brienne may get involved here against two titans, then takes a holiday back to nowhere.

She might stick around for the ride, but why, what is the point? Winterfell is a ruined heap away. The Starks words of Winterfell

Having Sansa around, real or fake, means trouble. Boltons betrayed/murdered the Starks at the Red Wedding, and you speak of legitimacy?!

Basically, The North is only half-supporting the Boltons, i.e. Very few of the powerful houses actually want them in charge. However, they'll be much more likely to support a Stark.

So Sansa is a threat.

They could kill her off, but this would likely lead to more dislike and possible revolts amongst the Houses loyal to the Starks. Sure, they might not have a Stark to support, but they'd be even more hell bent on revenge against the Boltons. They could support another noble house who has close ties to the Starks. Possibly the Karstarks, maybe someone else would be closer (I don't know).

However, if they marry Sansa to Ramsey, then they're appeasing the Stark-supporters, and continuing the Stark line (though not the name), provided Sansa and Ramsey have a child. The Houses that were likely to revolt, become less likely, as they'll not want to endanger Ned Stark's last surviving child. Also, if she's married to Ramsey, then they can't rally to her as a separate entity, since the two will be joined as one. And if she did want to try something, she's where they can keep an eye on her.

Hence, marriage presents a safer route than simply killing her.

Basically, The North is only half-supporting the Boltons, i.e. Very few of the powerful houses actually want them in charge. However, they'll be much more likely to support a Stark.

So Sansa is a threat.

They could kill her off, but this would likely lead to more dislike and possible revolts amongst the Houses loyal to the Starks. Sure, they might not have a Stark to support, but they'd be even more hell bent on revenge against the Boltons. They could support another noble house who has close ties to the Starks. Possibly the Karstarks, maybe someone else would be closer (I don't know).

However, if they marry Sansa to Ramsey, then they're appeasing the Stark-supporters, and continuing the Stark line (though not the name), provided Sansa and Ramsey have a child. The Houses that were likely to revolt, become less likely, as they'll not want to endanger Ned Stark's last surviving child. Also, if she's married to Ramsey, then they can't rally to her as a separate entity, since the two will be joined as one. And if she did want to try something, she's where they can keep an eye on her.

Hence, marriage presents a safer route than simply killing her.

I don't see it this way. If any of the lords/houses would do anything, they would have done it after the Red Wedding, where basically the whole Stark house (Starks and the soldiers) got wiped out. OK, if not, how about when Theon took over Winterfell and "murdered" the 2 Stark boys? No. And as far as people know, the Boltons still have the Lannisters' backing (realistically or not).

Stannis is coming, not because of Sansa, but to take the North, so Sansa is alive or not, doesn't matter to him - she would actually be in the way.

I don't see it this way. If any of the lords/houses would do anything, they would have done it after the Red Wedding, where basically the whole Stark house (Starks and the soldiers) got wiped out. OK, if not, how about when Theon took over Winterfell and "murdered" the 2 Stark boys? No. And as far as people know, the Boltons still have the Lannisters' backing (realistically or not).

Stannis is coming, not because of Sansa, but to take the North, so Sansa is alive or not, doesn't matter to him - she would actually be in the way.

The North are dispersed, Many were bringing in the harvest Sansa is "THE" Stark in WF and she needs to be there to let Stannis in ( or command someone to do it ) Stannis needs a Stark, if the two people who signal to Brienne and Sansa are actual supporters and they succeed in getting her safe then as head of House Stark she will demand ( after she finds out ) to find her brothers then she will back him.

The main reason not to kill her, I think, is that it is still too far away from the ending to have the correct impact - and, I think, she has unresolved narrative purpose with LF.

As one character in GoTs/ASoIaFs broader pallet of characters, I think Sansa may ultimately be a sympathy device - Ros complicated - but its just not time to pull out these guns yet.

Archived