Tyrion is The Riddle of The Sphinx

Daendrew

Interesting theory (finally one from endgame of thrones that doesn't look completely crackpot).

About the serpent element, also note Tyrion being told Lannisters are snakes (by the second son from Flea Nottom) in his last ADWD chapter, to what he answers something like "we are lions but if you walk on a lion's tail it's as bad".

(approximative quote don't have the book here)

This leads to this next part which is more speculative. Tryion The Clever

When I have time I will create a lemoncake system showing my confidence in the theory, or lack therof. Especially one that is that is 3,000 pages away.

I don't hold my theories and speculations equal, far from it. IceBrandon, Jaime as AA and Brienne as as Nissa Nissa are in a different class from all others. I have a pretty big post coming out next on why.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, did we hijack your thread? :P

The sphinx as the riddle to Tyrion's identity could mean two things. There's the sphinxes at the Citadel which have the body of a lion and the tail of a serpent, i.e. Lannister and Targaryen. But the Egyptian sphinx, infamously known for its missing nose, has the head of a human and only the body of a lion. Since Tyrion shares the lack of a nose with the Egyptian sphinx, wouldn't Tyrion only be a "lion", i.e. Lannister? Also, the sphinxes in story have wings of an eagle. If the parts of the sphinx represent Tyrion heritage, what role do these eagle wings have in regards to Tyrion?

IH, note that wings of an eagle are wings first of all... Tyrion may have some dragon wings. Otherwise kudos for your analysis's.

OP, I also have been convinced for while that the Sphinx / the riddle was Tyrion, basically for all the same reasons you give. ETA: but I think Tyrion is the stone dragon for a much simpler reason than his developing Greyscale (I don't think he will, as a rather immune Targaryen / Dwarf (~child)): he is from Castlerly Rock...

LM, I now see where your answering me in the A+J thread comes from!

IH, note that wings of an eagle are wings first of all... Tyrion may have some dragon wings. Otherwise kudos for your analysis's.

OP, I also have been convinced for while that the Sphinx / the riddle was Tyrion, basically for all the same reasons you give. ETA: but I think Tyrion is the stone dragon for a much simpler reason than his developing Greyscale (I don't think he will, as a rather immune Targaryen / Dwarf (~child)): he is from Castlerly Rock...

I have an update coming to this. The riddle is what are the two other fire dragon riders.

There is Tyrion, as mentioned in OP, and the only other person that knows there is a riddle of the Sphinx... Sam. He is the other dragon. I will get to why within the month.

All of this is independent of greyscale. He may get it. I thought that too.

But click my singature link to read The Stone Dragon is Made of Ice on my blog. It changes how I thought about it.

Isn't Quaithe the riddler who is herself a huge riddle?

And her faction may be the Original Sphinx Gang who inspired the statues and who still try to drive the big events of the novels---- the magically fluent bunch. They who represent an enigma to the rest of the world's mundane peoples. An unknowable, unanswerable mystery or riddle.

I don't know if Aemon would care enough about Tyrion to have a revelation about him. It's interesting that he'd be a fulcrum like Loki and you'd really want him to swing events for your side.... but that doesn't mean he'd have a place in Aemon's Targ mythology.

Aemon sounded like it was something extremely vital and close to home.

If he knew, remembered, or figured out that Aegon might have been baby-switched (alive!), then that'd have the force of Targ-Power behind the revelation. But he don't know bout Aegon methinks, cuz... the boy is manufactured..... recently and privately. How does Aemon know about the secret riverboat prince?

Isn't Quaithe the riddler who is herself a huge riddle?

And her faction may be the Original Sphinx Gang who inspired the statues and who still try to drive the big events of the novels---- the magically fluent bunch. They who represent an enigma to the rest of the world's mundane peoples. An unknowable, unanswerable mystery or riddle.

I don't know if Aemon would care enough about Tyrion to have a revelation about him. It's interesting that he'd be a fulcrum like Loki and you'd really want him to swing events for your side.... but that doesn't mean he'd have a place in Aemon's Targ mythology.

Aemon sounded like it was something extremely vital and close to home.

If he knew, remembered, or figured out that Aegon might have been baby-switched (alive!), then that'd have the force of Targ-Power behind the revelation. But he don't know bout Aegon methinks, cuz... the boy is manufactured..... recently and privately. How does Aemon know about the secret riverboat prince?

Quaithe is a riddler for sure.

There are 3-4 fire dragons, probably 3 ice dragons, and I would guess one beyond colossal sea dragon. Lots of riders.

Quaithe is a riddler for sure.

There are 3-4 fire dragons, probably 3 ice dragons, and I would guess one beyond colossal sea dragon. Lots of riders.

A Dance with Dragons - Tyrion III

"How kind of her." Tyrion made a waddling bow, but at the cabin door, he turned back. "What if we should find the queen and discover that this talk of dragons was just some sailor's drunken fancy? This wide world is full of such mad tales. Grumkins and snarks, ghosts and ghouls, mermaids, rock goblins, winged horses, winged pigs … winged lions."
No Ice dragon, no Sea dragon...

Are you another A+J'er?

:cheers:

Wanna bet a golden dragon? They don't exist either. ;)

Viserion would disagree. ;)

• 2 months later...

Creepy idea that's occurred to me:

Up-thread, I compare Illyrio to the devil.  Aegon is (per Blackfyre theories out there) presumably Illyrio's son.  Would this make Aegon an Antichrist figure?

The Antichrist is the son of Satan, an imposter to Christ (a saviour), and is associated with the number 6.  (666 actually.)

I'm not a fAegon theorist myself, but I couldn't not share this once I noticed it.

Creepy idea that's occurred to me:

Up-thread, I compare Illyrio to the devil.  Aegon is (per Blackfyre theories out there) presumably Illyrio's son.  Would this make Aegon an Antichrist figure?

The Antichrist is the son of Satan, an imposter to Christ (a saviour), and is associated with the number 6.  (666 actually.)

I'm not a fAegon theorist myself, but I couldn't not share this once I noticed it.

Gods suppressed become devils, and often it is these devils whom we first encounter when we turn inward.

--Joseph Campbell

"My definition of a devil is a god who has not been recognized. That is to say, it is a power in you to which you have not given expression, and you push it back. And then, like all repressed energy, it builds up and becomes completely dangerous to the position youre trying to hold." - Joseph Campbell, An Open Life, p.28-29

Look beyond gods and devils, good and evil. Because the devils we seek to defeat are not far away from our own heart. That is the song our bard sings. This pantheon of angels and devils are equally colored in 50 shades of greyscale.

GRRM has said many times that villains are simply the Other guys hero.

The story of Luficer was of him loving God too much IIRC.

If there is an Antichrist, he is probably quite pro-Christ :)

Archived