The Magicians - SyFy [SHOW SPOILERS ONLY]

RedEyedGhost

1 minute ago, Tears of Lys said:

I'm happy for any help I can get, understanding what the hell's happening in this show.  It must **really** help to have read the book(s)? beforehand. 

I see a lot of really cool and interesting things going on, which makes me watch the show.  But take Quentin, for example.  At first he's set up as a "hot" guy whom all the girls are wanting to get with (understanding that he's a serious fantasy reader, of course.)  In these recent episodes, however, he seems to be quite the doofus. 

I do quite like the Beast, though.  But when he's making people vomit up blood and appear to die on the floor, why do they pop up right as rain as soon as he departs?  And WHY does he depart?  If he can pop in and out at will, why doesn't he just take over the whole shebang? 

I guess I'm not paying as close attention as I should to this show.  :( 

Those death scenes weren't real.  The group had cast 9 different 'probability' spells, and 8 of them ended with their deaths.  The ninth had them go to Fillory, and then everything goes white - they can't see the probabilities of what might happen there.

I didn't figure that out until my second viewing of the episode.  What's so confusing is the fact you see Alice and Quentin hurrying to class outside, then coming into the room where everything is smashed and everyone is dead.  After they die, they wake up and, Alice, I think, makes the comment on not enjoying dying.

The group then has their discussion about returning the button so the Beast won't come after them, and Quentin says he thinks they should go to Fillory, since all other avenues lead to death.  Penny gets up and leaves in disgust, because the Beast will still come after him, since he's a traveller.

I came across The Magicians Wikia site, which defines Fillory like this:

Fillory is a magical land written about in Christopher Plover's novels that turns out to be real.

Fillory is populated, among others, with talking animals such as horses and elephants, although the non-talking kind also exists, and other magical beasts, such as pegasi. There are also a number of unique animals. Its gods are the twin rams, Ember and Umber.

Fillory has four thrones, often vacant, but when all are filled, it has two kings and two queens, of which one High King. These thrones cannot be occupied by someone from Fillory.

Fillory is a land of abundance and as such, its monetary system is mostly symbolic. Anything that looks like it might be money seems to be accepted, be it gold or plastic game coins.

The world Fillory is situated on, is a disk, and as such, has an edge. On the other side of the disk is another land. Fillory, and presumably its world, cannot exist without magic.

http://themagicians.wikia.com/wiki/Fillory

So Fillory is a blatant copy of Narnia, with the four thrones, which conveniently cannot be occupied by anyone from Fillory.

Correct me if I am wrong but in the books, didn't Q just sleep with Janet/Margo instead of the threeway we saw? Not that I've got a problem with it other than my wife repeatedly rewinding Q kissing Eliot and whining that she wanted more. I pointed out that this was a helluva lot more than those shows that just hint at slash but it was to no avail. 

Thanks, MrOJ and FragileBird!  Now I KNOW I've got to pay better attention.  This is definitely not the sort of show that you can just glance over at while working.  :dunce: 

FB, I'll check out that site for sure.  Just what I've seen so far has made me want to get to know this show better. 

37 minutes ago, Tears of Lys said:

Thanks, MrOJ and FragileBird!  Now I KNOW I've got to pay better attention.  This is definitely not the sort of show that you can just glance over at while working.  :dunce: 

FB, I'll check out that site for sure.  Just what I've seen so far has made me want to get to know this show better. 

The dog was snoring next to me, so I can relate. The death scene was completely lost on me.

I still don't really understand why all of the travelers were killing themselves and getting into one another's heads. Was that the Beast getting in their heads and pushing them to commit suicide? I'm assuming it's the Beast's attempt to get at Penny.

These Brakebills kids are already emotional wrecks and now they have to bottle up those emotions to perform battle magic? Nothing good can come from that, hence the ending of the episode. Poor Alice. I did think her and Penny were going to be the ones to have sex, though.

I'm still enjoying Julia's arc the most. I enjoyed her and Kady trying to petition a god more than the rest of the episode. I loved her line about not going anywhere because it was her apartment. I'm interested in discovering who exactly "Jane" is, or whatever that character's name is. It will be nice seeing Julia and Q together again next episode.

No they just pop up when the story needs them ! ^^

That being said, I continue to really enjoy this show ! And Q, you fucked up ! Hope he and Alice will mend things up, I really think they make a cute couple ! ^^ (Yeah, I'm quite girly on that one) 

6 hours ago, Jerol said:

Correct me if I am wrong but in the books, didn't Q just sleep with Janet/Margo instead of the threeway we saw? Not that I've got a problem with it other than my wife repeatedly rewinding Q kissing Eliot and whining that she wanted more. I pointed out that this was a helluva lot more than those shows that just hint at slash but it was to no avail. 

No, there were three of them in the books as well. It's left somewhat ambiguous because everything is from Quentin's perspective and he was too drunk to remember properly, but much later (in the Upstate chapter, on what my Kindle calls page 268), he's trying to remember:

Had he kissed Eliot? A vivid sense memory of somebody else's stubble, surprisingly scratchy, chafing his cheek and upper lip.

It's amazing how damaged all of these characters are, but in different ways... it's like --as they battle the beast-- they're also battling their own demons... it makes for some interesting storytelling....There are not many --if any-- "feel good" moments....

I found it odd that they chose the threesome to go all PG-13....lol ...

I freaking love this show.  It's far from perfect, but it just has something that about it that works so well for me.  I'm glad I haven't read the books, but I now feel like I'm inching closer and closer to picking them up.

I gather the books aren't so great.  The series has it's ups and downs, but I feel compelled to watch.  Tonight's episode was one of the stronger ones so far.

ETA:  I had to watch that twice to realize a carrot was missing.

I am disappointed that the rest of the crew has vanished on missions, sent by the goddess.  Presumably we will see those next season.  Next week is the last episode.

This episode is called 39 Graves.  I assume that's the class of '16.  Did anyone see graves?

Was the loop in the books, or is that an invention for the tv series?

ETA2:  Wait, did Quentin and Julia just abandon that time machine gizmo on a park bench somewhere?  Why didn't they do that at Brakebills, in his room?

I liked that little touch that during previous loops Margo was Janet.

Fragile Bird, I imagine that is because the gizmo wouldn't have taken them to London, just 1942.  Elliot's and Margo's doorway to their favorite London pub I presume only exists since their first year or later.  Trying to get to London from 1942 New York during the war would have been unnecessarily difficult.

Ah, so they took the doorway to England first, then used the time machine.  I get it, thanks.  But still, it looks like they had to leave the machine behind.  You would think it would come with them, and then they could just leave it where they landed in Fillory, to retrieve later.

So I suppose I can consider the books as something like classic Star Trek and the tv show as the modern ST after a time-loop. Or something like that.

-Anyway: Josh!  I was pleasantly surprised he showed up this late in the game.  Anyway, hope he sticks around.

-Also, Q and Julia going off to Fillory together is one of those book deviations that is quite welcome, and I actually felt a pang of envy that Q got to visit his longed - for,  somewhat generic fantasy world with his good-looking best bud.

-I am waiting til it occurs to somebody to look for the Middle-Earth fountain; and if there is one to Westeros.

-Mike being a republican further increases my indifference to Elliot killing him :P; also, Elliot spiraling down is so apparent, I wonder why no one other than Margo notices.  Not exactly the kind of guy you want on this mission.

-Dean Fogg has never seen Groundhog Day: boo!

On 4/5/2016 at 9:50 PM, Fragile Bird said:

I gather the books aren't so great.  The series has it's ups and downs, but I feel compelled to watch.  Tonight's episode was one of the stronger ones so far.

I actually liked the books. Definitely the show and books are telling different stories though.

This episode is called 39 Graves.  I assume that's the class of '16.  Did anyone see graves?

I believe the 39 graves was a reference to the fact that they have done this time loop 39 times before and died every time. So Q has died 39 times so far.

Was the loop in the books, or is that an invention for the tv series?

Yes, although IIRC, they don't find out until after everything is said and done. And Jane wasn't dead.

I just caught up on the last two episodes and I loved them. Josh! Margot was Janet in a previous loop! Julia and Q go to Fillory together!

I thought the crazy threesome and Alice's revenge sex was great. I mean not great, gods they're all terrible, but you know--done well.

Biggest complaint is the Our Lady storyline, which just kind...petered out? I was expecting something different when they did the summoning, so I was quite confused when Q goes to Julia's apartment and everyone is gone and Julia is just chilling by herself. Wonder if that story is over or going to continue into next season?

3 hours ago, Starkess said:

I actually liked the books. Definitely the show and books are telling different stories though.

I believe the 39 graves was a reference to the fact that they have done this time loop 39 times before and died every time. So Q has died 39 times so far.

Yes, although IIRC, they don't find out until after everything is said and done. And Jane wasn't dead.

Oh, yes, of course.  But with the introduction of the idea of the Class of '16 being wiped out, I was focussed on that.  Also, if they had died 39 times and there are 5 of them, that would be 195 graves, wouldn't it?  All of them always died, didn't they?

It can be a drawback to be so picky sometimes.....

I assume the Goddess story line is for next season.  I caught a replay tonight and the fellow who's what, the servant of the goddess? warns Julia once the bell has been rung it can't be unrung.  That sounded sort of ominous to me.  Gods traditionally do what they want, and it's not always rosy and wonderful for humans.  And just what was that thing Julia showed Q, the gift of the goddess?  A Mary-like statue flowing milk?

The thought occurred to me that if Julia had actually been there the other 39 times, it goes a long way in explaining how her magic skills are so good.  She did actually have some basic training in Brakebills.  It also explains the reason she scarred her arm when she 'flunked', I think.

9 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Oh, yes, of course.  But with the introduction of the idea of the Class of '16 being wiped out, I was focussed on that.  Also, if they had died 39 times and there are 5 of them, that would be 195 graves, wouldn't it?  All of them always died, didn't they?

Well, Quentin mainly only thinks about himself first...

2 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

Well, Quentin mainly only thinks about himself first...

Naaah, I dont think that's entirely true. I think he's really sincere and genuine in his love for Alice... but would he think about her before himself, that remains to be seen !

And yeah, anyone who's grown up with a fantasy universe must have felt a pang of envy when Q arrived in Fillory ! ^^

Archived