The Magicians - SyFy [SHOW SPOILERS ONLY]

RedEyedGhost

11 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Has everyone stopped watching or something?

I intended to bump this the past two nights, but hadn't found the time.  I think, in a season of amazing episodes (although I'm still not loving the season's arc), that might have been my favorite.  That was so good.  Alt-Penny and Alt-Marina should make for either a really fun final two episodes or they're setup for hijinks next season.

17 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I was actually taken by surprise when we saw the Beast.

That was a nice little surprise.

17 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I was wondering how the hell they were going to get Penny another body. The question is, are we now going to see two of him. Will original Penny be able to get out of the Underworld and enter that body, or is he stuck there? If he gets into Penny #2, will the librarians pop up and kidnap him back to the library, even though technically the new Penny didn't sign the contract?

I really hope they keep Penny out of Alt-Penny's body.  Alt-Penny is so much less of a dick!  At least what we've seen so far - Julia must have been a much better influence on him than Kady.  I'm also extremely interested in how Hades was trying to entice Penny to see what would happen by staying in the Underworld.

21 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

And by the rules of time travel, can you really have two #6 keys existing?

Alternate reality, so not time travel.  The other reality is now without that particular key.  That's still not the Fairy Queendom's key, is it? With it being a full other reality though, it doesn't kind of break down the logic of the powerful enough being (gods, master magicians, etc.) being able to recall the previous "time loops." Final loop Dean Fogg knowing what happened in those previous loops makes sense if they were wiped completely from existence, I can understand that those powerful enough remembered it.  With them being alternate realities that can be fully accessed (traveled to), than all the powerful beings in the most recent loop are copied from the previous loops?  Or are they just powerful enough to access their alternates' knowledge when the magic creating the loop was triggered?  I doubt this will ever be explained to my satisfaction.  I kind of want to know what is coming after magic is turned back on (Alt-Q's premonition), but I really don't want to know also, as I'm sure that will be the focus for next season.

2 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Alternate reality, so not time travel.  The other reality is now without that particular key.  That's still not the Fairy Queendom's key, is it? With it being a full other reality though, it doesn't kind of break down the logic of the powerful enough being (gods, master magicians, etc.) being able to recall the previous "time loops." Final loop Dean Fogg knowing what happened in those previous loops makes sense if they were wiped completely from existence, I can understand that those powerful enough remembered it.  With them being alternate realities that can be fully accessed (traveled to), than all the powerful beings in the most recent loop are copied from the previous loops?  Or are they just powerful enough to access their alternates' knowledge when the magic creating the loop was triggered?  I doubt this will ever be explained to my satisfaction.  I kind of want to know what is coming after magic is turned back on (Alt-Q's premonition), but I really don't want to know also, as I'm sure that will be the focus for next season.

Ah yes, alternate reality, not time travel, of course. But it still feels like it should break some kind of rule. :P 

I mean, if the key gives the fairies their magic, when a second key shows up wouldn't it suck off half their magic? What can I say, I am a logical type of person and the logic's getting to me. Stupid, I know, we're in a fantasy world. But there's only so much magic, isn't there?

Perhaps someone else can remember the loop thing from the books?

Spoiler

Jane has her magical time piece, but I don't think Dean Fogg remembers any differences. That was created for the tv show, wasn't it? And no one travels between alternate worlds or has chats in magic cubicles with anyone. The fountains in the Netherlands, for example, take you to different worlds, not alternate realities, so it's a totally new idea. Well, not quite. In book three there's a mirror world, but the focus is very narrow. It's as if the show runners took that little part of the book and just exploded it.

Have you read the books? The show is such a mish mash of ideas that I wonder if we end up in the same place. Iirc, the producers said we would in an article published some time ago, just taking a different route. Like GoT.

At first Josh knows he avoided the werewolf STD and the quickening, then later he sees the quickening as inevitable for him.   What a ponce.

Ha!  The prophecy key arrives ahead of schedule.  Maybe they can avoid trouble with the faeries by taking the other 6 keys to the faerie realm to..... "7 Up."   

Yay, character reload!  Not the deaf one or mirror bridge caster tho.  Still dead.  ...This will blow for the curly haired brunette with mental instability (Kady, you said?) when she gets a Penny-stranger back.  Just what the doctor ordered.  Not!  (In honor of Tick.)

The seven key's powers are sounding like a similar deal to my angelic chakra powers of:

Mentalism, Prophecy, Divine Grace, Phoenix Fire, "Halo" Energy Binding Core, Naturist, Summoner.

I enjoyed it.  Felt a little anticlimactic though.  Like was this entire season just set up for next year?  And for The Library to be the big bad of the entire series?  What a bunch of dicks.  And how can two humans make a binding contract with the fairies that prevents all the beings in the universe from hunting them?  Makes zero sense, but I'm sure it will be a big deal next year.

From the Dean's point of view, it made sense because he's seen enough of magic going amuck.   So not an evil turn, yet, from him.  more like fatigue?    More heinous, i just realized, is what the acting high king wifey did to them!

The mccalister fairy grinder blonde smiled when she made the deal.   Instantly seeing that she can just make a loophole, have a fairy hunt the other fairies.  Something.  And how would her deal bind all the rest of mankind to not go hunting anyways?  Maybe the queen was smarter than she looked.   Human nature may break the deal inevitably in ways the mccalister lady can't control.... bringing queenie back and damning the grinder.  

Julia's outcome was convenient.   Didn't like it.  The other rainbow goddess' timing seemed sneaky at first, like she was on purpose sabotaging the quest.  But maybe she foresaw that Julia needed to be taken away from them, because....of what was going to happen.   Bad result for gods.   Guessing that the thing in the castle is childish because it was kept inert, not able to exert itself on anything to grow and develop and taste power.  

Mmmmmm, black gloved Civilian Margo.

This show just gets better and better. The father away from the source material it gets, the better it is! Can't wait for next season! Loved Margot becoming "Janet" as a little shout-out to the books.

5 hours ago, matt b said:

This show just gets better and better. The father away from the source material it gets, the better it is! Can't wait for next season! Loved Margot becoming "Janet" as a little shout-out to the books.

Once again, it's kinda like any other adaption that goes wildly off track. You can enjoy some things and really, really hate others. I think, for example, that they stretched the fairy plot line so much last season I just hated hated hated anything to do with it. It was a 2 or 3 episode idea stretched out to ten. It has finally gotten interesting, but omg, so much to go through first.

I'd be happy to bitch about more things, but a person is not suppose to spoil the books, so :dunno:

49 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Once again, it's kinda like any other adaption that goes wildly off track.

Meh. Obviously, we just see things differently here. Nothing about the books was ever good enough to me that I'm upset it's not appearing in the show. And in general the show's tongue-in-cheek tone is just wildly more enjoyable to me than the dour self-seriousness of the books. The show is just flat out FUN. And I like fun. YMMV.

4 hours ago, matt b said:

Meh. Obviously, we just see things differently here. Nothing about the books was ever good enough to me that I'm upset it's not appearing in the show. And in general the show's tongue-in-cheek tone is just wildly more enjoyable to me than the dour self-seriousness of the books. The show is just flat out FUN. And I like fun. YMMV.

:agree:

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
3 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

Latest / last trailer for season 4:

Woo.  I haven't finished watching season 3 yet on netflix.  Which is grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr8.  This one looks very good as well.  Margo and Eliot -- I love their dementia more every season.

Hmmmmm.  Wonder who was meant by "She's the most dangerous . . . "

Could it possibly be ...  Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez hmmmmm? :D

Everything is shut down here due to arctic weather and the Martin Luther King, Jr. birthday observance-- I binged finished watching season 3,.

Honestly?  Have no idea wtf is going on, in terms of story and plot, beyond hmmm maqic went away and has continued to go away in more time lines or something.  Don't care though because I'm enthralled with the charactrers -- meaning how the actors are doing it -- in each scene, each episode.  I love them!

This is far and away the best on screen depiction of fantasy and magic ever. Again, it wouldn't work at all without those actors.  The budget surely isn't large because, you know, the syfy channel, etc. But whoever is running this show, shooting this show, decorating this show, dressing this show, writing the lines of this show, like the actors, are exceptional. 

It's totes nutz of course, but that has become a through line of its beauty.

Haven't read the books and I never will read the books, so have no idea whether this is faithful in tone, character, storylines, etc. Don't care ... beyond ... is .... Julia the actual Hero?  not one of those crazy guys?

Margo, in particular, and all the points that keep being made, for women --  often, with wit and fun -- outstanding.

Archived