[Poll] How would you rate episode 506

How would you rate episode 506?  

769 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

I gave it a 3, the first time I've rated a show under a 7 in 5 years (well, maybe one 6).

The fight scene in Dorne was just embarrassing. Myrcella's dress was falling off her - she looked like a little girl playing dress up in her big sister's clothes.

The Godswood looked beautiful, as did Sansa. But the rest of it (except Alfie's acting which was, once again, stunning) was just horrible. How's the avenging your family going, Sansa? I feel mean, tearing up the episode like this, but honestly, I just thought it was beyond God-awful.

Did she really need another excuse to exact some serious revenge? The Boltons turned their cloaks on her family and were complicit in the killings of her mother and brother. I can't remember the last time I watched a male character have to be raped before seeking revenge for the wrongs perpetrated against his family.

I swear I thought you typed penetrated ...

I give it an 8. We had a few plotmoving developments, like Marge's arrest, Bronn getting sliced by a [probably] poisoned knife, and everyone getting taken into custody in Dorne. As well as Sansa's marriage. Although I am a bit disappointed in the Dorne arc overall, particularly the portrayal of the Sand Snakes.

The Sansa stuff did not surprise me at all. I hoped not to see anything graphically and thank D&D we didn't. It was meant to be gut wrenching. Shocking to realise that was not considered rape under Westerosi customs. Well, Sansa is still the victim as before (she just conned herself that she was tough). Littlefinger - you creep!

I like the Arya stuff quite a lot and Cersei's smirk (boy is she going to get what is coming to her). They better make it horrific or I will rejoice like I did in the book, rather than feel an ounce of sympathy. Tommen is weak and an unfit king so if he gets executed I will feel less for him that for Robb Stark.

Like the Tyrion and Jorah stuff too. Good banter and a bit of bonding.

The Sand Snakes and the whole Dorne stuff is so LAME I cannot see why they bothered to recast the Myrcella actress. If you don't have time to build ANY characters or to even have an extended fight seen them just cut it out completely and give other areas more time. A total waste. ZZZZZZZZZZ.

What is happening to Dorne/Jaime...? I just can't. Really missing Arianne.

As for the Sansa rape scene. I don't think anyone is saying it's terrible because the don't expect rape from GoT. It's terrible because it's terrible writing. And I've heard a lot of people saying its not as bad as in the book, but this scene didn't happen in the book. As I posted in another thread:

I get what you're saying. And if we were watching Jeyne Poole on the show and D&D "sanitized" her scene, I would agree completely. Jeyne was in a position of sexual slavery in LF's brothel, she had literally no advocacy and no one to help her. For her, marrying Ramsey was her only chance at a better life, and it was a complete failure for her. Jon tried to help her, but only because he thought she was Arya.

The difference is the complete absurdity of this happening to Sansa. She has the entire Vale behind her in the show. The lords with the only fresh, untouched army in Westeros are choosing to protect her. She has a voice, she has a title, and she should have an army. Instead, she leaves her army/allies behind (they think she's vacationing in the Fingers) and goes and marries Ramsey which legitimizes his and his father's claim to Winterfell.

It's not just the rape, its the idea that there is nothing in the plot that necessitates or benefits from it. In fact it takes the developments from last season (Dark!Sansa makeover and the Vale reveal) and throws them away for the sake of putting in a rape scene.

Last week was good for me like a 8.5+...but this sunk back down to the likes of 504. I gave it a 6.

Arya was good. Tyrion & Jorah was solid (the slavers thing is interesting). Kings Landing is still Kings Landing...just meh.

Winterfell was just difficult to watch but I'll see what happens. I set my expectations at a very cringe inducing level so at least it wasn't insanely awful.

The kicker for me: Dorne just seems so out of place. What does it? (1) the dialogue (2) costume designs (the sandsnakes look is sooo stiff; the Burqas don't mesh with the high shoulder pads...just looks too comical)

Also no Jon or Dany :(

I try to stay optimistic but the best word I can place with this season is 'unsettling'.

Not as dreadful as last week, i'll give it a 5. Snakes/Team Rocket & Jaime lead up was an embarrassment. I did like the scene between Cersei and Thorns, mainly because it left Cersei feeling smug while showing how obliviously idiotic she is.

"The dwarf lives until we can find a cock merchant!"

Think I need to lower my expectations even further, season 5 really has been pure shite

I rated it a 7. Had they cut out the Dorne scenes, it would have been a strong 9. Those were so bad though that they really brought the whole episode down.

Edited by Faint

Also, maybe its nitpicky, but I was a bit disappointed that as major a thing as winter finally being here (at least at Winterfell) wasn't a more major thing; there was just a throwaway line by Cersei.

I think they're gradually building that up and they'll make a bigger deal of it later. The coming winter has been mentioned a few times this season already for example.

I can't remember the last time I watched a male character have to be raped before seeking revenge for the wrongs perpetrated against his family.

We didn't even get that. We got male character watching female character getting raped for character development. Sansa became a prop in somebody else's scene (which on a scale of one to messed up is beyond freaking messed up)

6/10. That fight scene the Water Gardens was hilarious...ly bad. House of Black and White was kind of cool. Tyrion and Jorah stuff felt really forced. King's Landing and Winterfell...could've been worse?

Reminiscent of Batman ala Adam West. Just missing Bang!!! Whop!!! Pow!!! or whatever

6/10.

A real slow burner. The Sand Snakes fight fell flat so that took away the episode's one chance to get sort of high-energy. The ending was very hard to watch but the acting, set design, and overall production quality of the Winterfell wedding straight through to the end was phenomenal. Alfie Allen is phenomenal in the role and continues to be one of the best parts of the show.

As for the Sansa rape scene. I don't think anyone is saying it's terrible because the don't expect rape from GoT. It's terrible because it's terrible writing. And I've heard a lot of people saying its not as bad as in the book, but this scene didn't happen in the book. As I posted in another thread:

Very well said! I cannot stand the absurdity of people complaining that people are "book purists" and not simply appalled at poor writing. Your points are very sound, there is no logic behind this absurdity. Except to shock. The show runners don't seem to understand that there was a logic and system behind the "shocks" GRRM delivered as opposed to what they now are doing.

Very well said! I cannot stand the absurdity of people complaining that people are "book purists" and not simply appalled at poor writing. Your points are very sound, there is no logic behind this absurdity. Except to shock. The show runners don't seem to understand that there was a logic and system behind the "shocks" GRRM delivered as opposed to what they now are doing.