[Poll] How would you rate episode 506

How would you rate episode 506?  

769 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

So the episode I have been dreading has come. Sansa is married to Ramsay and has been raped! BUT... no where near as bad and brutal as book or as I was fearing.

KL was really good. I suspect Olenna will be the reason Cersei is arrested by the faith and that is exciting.

Arya and the FM was done really well too.

Loved Tyrion and Jorah scenes.

Dorne is confusing but seems to be coming together ok. I still have some hope for it, as long as we get more Doran and less plotting.

All in all I felt it deserves a 9. I enjoyed almost all of it and the ending left me happy that at least we didn't get as brutal of a Ramsay as we see in book. I felt it was done in a way that Sansa and Theon will be able to bond and escape together, hopefully giving them both new confidence and strength.

It's just bad storytelling by D&D. They are just focusing on keeping various stories fit together and ignoring character development. Lot of the stories are just rushed and hastily put together just to get characters from point A to point B.

It has to be a tighter narrative, focused on fewer characters. It's a TV show, not the entirety of a fantasy world imagined by GRRM.

Grudging 7.

Arya scenes were awesome. WF stuff was well done and I liked the parallel with washing Sansa's hair and Arya washing the dead peoples' hair, water running off the same way into the bucket. Final scene was horrific but Theon played it perfectly and we all know Sansa is in part taking Jeyne Poole's place so it wasn't unexpected. Still very hard to watch though. So high score for HoB+W and WF.

Middle score for the KL scenes. Cersei isn't falling apart as much as the book Cersei, which is fine except that's necessary for what follows, at least in the books. I hope they make some kind of sense out of it. Tommen really is useless and you'd expect a belusted 16yo to at least cry out or make some kind of protest or something.

Dorne is just horrible. The Sand Snakes are beyond parody, that fight scene was abysmal, the making out scenes were unnecessary - nothing to like about the way Dorne is being portrayed at all.

Tyion and Jorah - loving it so far, and we know from the season previews that

Jorah ends up in a fighting pit

so it ties together in that sense.

So a 7 over all but a 0 for Dorne. Eps 3 and 5 remain strong favourites for me this season so far.

I've given it a 2, and I still feel generous. By far the worse episode of the series so far. Absolutely nothing in the episode worked for me. No character acts rationally.

The only plots that would get a pass are Tyrion+Jorah, and Arya. Everything else ranged from the bad to the really awful. We are only at episode 6, but it seems very difficult to believe that this season won't end being the worse of the first five.

Edited by The hairy bear

I gave it a one. Part of that was just a statement of my disgust at the end scene. But even without that the episode was very poor. The only story line which was good was Arya's - the hall of faces scene was very atmospheric. Other than that:

> Tyrion's first scene with Jorah was good, but the stuff with the Slaver's makes no sense. It beggars belief that Tyrion would be able to convince the Slaver's - without proof - to go to Meereen. Why not just have them headed there already?

> Dorne was a complete farce. Nothing makes any sense. What should have been a focal point of this season was reduced to 5 minutes of nonsense. I felt the fight was very poorly choreographed as well. It seemed as though at any one time one of the Sand Snakes would be missing.

> Loras' trial was ridiculous, not least because of the return of the ass mark. Why remove Cersei's descent into madness, and the complex portrayal of religion, in exchange for a shallow and exploitative plot about homophobia?

> Sansa's plot line was disgusting. Taking a character whose arc is supposed to be about claiming agency and becoming a player of the game and then doing...that.

I've given it a 2, an I still feel generous. By far the worse episode of the series so far. Absolutely nothing in the episode worked for me. No character acts rationally.

The only plots that would get a pass are Tyrion+Jorah, and Arya. Everything else ranged from the bad to the really awful. We are only at episode 6, but it seems very difficult to believe that this season won't end being the worse of the first five.

I gave it a 7 because it was watchable. This was the first time all season that I thought Tyrion was interestin, he and Jorah clicked a little this episode. I haven't really cared for the way they brought the Faith Militant into things and its undermining the Kings Landing storyline and whats going on there. Arya has been OK and in fairness its hard to translate the nuances of her training to a TV show. The whole Sansa storyline is difficult. From a narrative point of view keeping her relatively safe in the Vale is boring. Bringing her to WInterfell and involving her in everything going on there makes sense even though its a major deviation from the books and from any sort of common sense as you have pointed out.

I gave it a 7 because it was watchable.

So for you a 7=watchable? I expect much more from GoT, and for any show that I watch. If it's only "watchable", I think that we should be devoting our time somehwere else.

I agree with you when you say that it was a tall order. The adaptation of this particular part of the book's material was a complicated task. But, as I see it, what they've done with it is a very bad work.

I think it's the Sansa rape scene that's getting people's hackles up. People aren't criticising the episode except on emotional terms. As stated, D and D boxed themselves in there and it was the only thing they could do. And as someone else pointed out earlier, at least Theon, and Ramsay's implied interest in coprophilia and threats of forced bestiality were not involved.

You obviously didn't read what people wrote then.

I gave it a 6 after some deliberating.

There were good pieces in there - the House of Black and White stuff, the performances at Winterfell, Jonathan Pyrce - but I do feel we've lost a lot now. Sansa...I don't know. I was uncertain about the idea since the rumours first began because I knew it would have to end up here. And I don't like it. This isn't her story, this shouldn't be her trauma. The scene itself was well-done, but...I don't know. Other things in the episode - Dorne, King's Landing - were poor. They've stripped the complexity of the plots and characters so much that the whole thing feels a mite beige. The Sand Snake fight was pitiful:

it felt more like a series of stunts being performed, without tension, rather than a serious skirmish.

Nor do I understand why they pushed Sansa into such a brutal arc and yet are petrified of actually bringing the darkest elements in the other plots and characters to life. I don't really expect or anticipate a satisfying answer from the writers.

I guess to me it was kind of an average episode.

The Arya was the biggest plus, the Dorne part the biggest minus. King's Landing felt kind of weirdly rushed (maybe because they skipped it last week) and THE scene with the most discussion about to me was not as horrible as for many others, but in combination with other scences Sansa seems to simply jump between different personalties too much. I expected either a Sansa comparable to her first wedding night, who kind of is aware of her duty and ready to get it over with or a Sansa more from last episode being a somewhat stronger personality and maybe a bit more in control (I actually expected some Margaery-Joffrey kind of vibe), but the latter would have made the scene probably even more horrible to watch.

i guess it just seems a little weird to me that she seems actually more overwhelmed and intimidated now than she was in her wedding night with Tyrion.

I guess to me it was kind of an average episode.

The Arya was the biggest plus, the Dorne part the biggest minus. King's Landing felt kind of weirdly rushed (maybe because they skipped it last week) and THE scene with the most discussion about to me was not as horrible as for many others, but in combination with other scences Sansa seems to simply jump between different personalties too much. I expected either a Sansa comparable to her first wedding night, who kind of is aware of her duty and ready to get it over with or a Sansa more from last episode being a somewhat stronger personality and maybe a bit more in control (I actually expected some Margaery-Joffrey kind of vibe), but the latter would have made the scene probably even more horrible to watch.

i guess it just seems a little weird to me that she seems actually more overwhelmed and intimidated now than she was in her wedding night with Tyrion.

Well, wedding night with Tyrion was just that: a night. Tyrion decided to postpone his husband's duties until Sansa starts liking him.

9/10 for me this week yay! Finally. I'd usually do a list of Pros & Cons but there isn't enough cons for me to warrant doing that as every single scene I enjoyed. Maybe I'm just in a really good mood today. Anyway the only things that stop it from being a perfect 10 is a lack of a huge moment, and the Dorne stuff is still leaning more towards the cheesy end of the spectrum. Acting was superb by everyone in Bravos, KL & WF. Fantastic to see Lady Olenna again. House of Black & White scenes were particularly very powerful and I thought the whole episode was undercut by a beautiful musical score.

Well, wedding night with Tyrion was just that: a night. Tyrion decided to postpone his husband's duties until Sansa starts liking him.

But before she is aware of that, she basically "gets ready" to get it over with and is then relieved when he calls it off, same thing when Littlefinger tells her to marry Ramsay, where she is initially shocked, but then is putting on her pokerface and "does what needs to be done". I expected a little more of this sort of attitude I guess, as she already had it before and also from last weeks dinner scene it seemed like she got "better" at it.