[Poll] How would you rate episode 506

How would you rate episode 506?  

769 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

Jesus christ at all the people voting the show a 1. Get over yourselves.

Perhaps you can allow others their opinion, just as you are allowed yours.

(No, I didn't give it a 1, but people are entitled to do so without having to "get over themselves" )

8 out of 10 for a first watch.

- Arya and the Room of Faces. Loved the game of lies and how Arya did have some fondness for the Hound. I hope we actually get to see her change faces this season.

- Olenna Tyrell. I hope she makes a beeline for the High Sparrow's office with all of Cersei's failings. I'm pretty sure incest beats buggery.

- The Jorah and Tyrion Road Show. They could be their own series. "We're off on the road to Essos."

Meh:

- Bronne and Jamie in Dorne. They should take lessons from the Jorah and Tyrion Road Show.

Bad:

- The fight with the Sand Snakes. Someone has pulled the fangs from these girls. Myrcella and Tristane were so cute, teenage love.

As for the big scene.

I love the wedding ceremony in itself. The wedding night scene shouldn't have been a surprise to anyone who was listening to Myranda and her bath time pep talk, or who has seen Ramsey in action. I'm just glad there were no dogs involved. I am a little surprise Ramsey didn't rip the front of the dress but maybe he's not a boob guy.

As for the diversion from the books, it was bound to come along since GRRM hasn't finished the books. From this point on we are on uncharted waters, and here there be monsters. I am taking all this with a open mind. I will reserve judgement on their version of his story until the series is finished. If they end up at the same place, awesome. If not, well this is good too. I'll enjoy the books (whenever Martin finished them) just as well as I would without the HBO series.

I thought the first half was pretty good, a solid 7 between the HoB&W and Tyrion & Jorah.

The second half halved the score with the train wreck of Dorne and Sansa Bolton story lines.

However the fallout of the rape of Sansa pans out, it cannot be a good storytelling device. If she is empowered or becomes determined for revenge, it is simplistic shock-value writing. If she ends up like Jeyne Poole, it destroys her character arc and leaves D&D having to start a completely new and distressing character arc for her.

Also, "cock merchant"? WTF? That conversation should have stopped on Tyrion saying "guess again", which would have beena good, humorous point at which to end it.

Perhaps you can allow others their opinion, just as you are allowed yours.

(No, I didn't give it a 1, but people are entitled to do so without having to "get over themselves" )

They are, but it also shows how ridiculous taking any of these polls seriously to determine if an episode was good or not is. People give this episode a 1 because of a single scene, but then will give weaker episodes 7 or 8 because they were "okay."

They are, but it also shows how ridiculous taking any of these polls seriously to determine if an episode was good or not is. People give this episode a 1 because of a single scene, but then will give weaker episodes 7 or 8 because they were "okay."

Yep.

And in the past a lot of people gave one notable episode a 10 based solely on the fact there was a cat in it for about 1.5 seconds, or 'I can't believe someone scored it low so I am going to give it a 10 just to cancel their vote out.' It goes both ways.

Jesus christ at all the people voting the show a 1. Get over yourselves.

A 1/10 rating means that 90% of everything in the episode failed, which would include costume design, art direction, cinematography, directions, acting, the development of each subplot (not just Dorne and Winterfell), the music, the continuity between episodes, the editing, the F/X, the humour, the introduction, the ending, each characterization...

..but nearly all those points have been addressed - and sometimes entirely in one post. The 10% ratings seems sort of wild to me but that doesn't necessarily mean that it goes without reason, and this is coming from a suck-up who voted 8/10.

Edited by Takyon

A 1/10 rating means that 90% of everything in the episode failed, which would include costume design, art direction, cinematography, directions, acting, the development of each subplot (not just Dorne and Winterfell), the music, the continuity between episodes, the editing, the F/X, the humour, the introduction, the ending, each characterization...

..but nearly all those points have been addressed - and sometimes entirely in one post. The 10% ratings seems sort of wild to me but that doesn't necessarily mean that it goes without reason, and this is coming from a suck-up who voted 8/10.

People use different criteria for making their rating.

Some people give consideration to technical aspects. Some to acting, writing, plot consistency, direction.

Some people give consideration to the question "How much did I enjoy it?" If their enjoyment is '1' then it is a valid score.

Ok I just watched it again. I still really liked it, but I can understand why a lot of people are pissed about the Sansa rape scene. It really didn't advance the story of any of the characters involved. If D&D had decided to do the switch-a-roo with Arya (my favorite character) I would be livid right now.

I think it would have been a much smarter scene if Sansa had been a willing participant in the consummation. First, it would show her growth as a real player, fooling Ramsey on their wedding night, and we could have gotten the same reaction from Reek. I'm curious for those that hated that last scene would you have been ok if the scene had gone down the way I described?

D & D didn't do *anything* to Sansa. Sansa is not real. Sansa is a character.

Many of the posters here, earlier this week, were accusing D&D of perving on Sophie Turner. In reality, they handled the scene tactfully and did not show any nudity.

Now, I repeat, Sansa is not real. If you're so upset that a character had realistic marital-rape sex, then please go on to the Game Of Thrones Book 1 forum and complaint about how awful GRRM is for doing that to Daenarys. And then complain about how awful he is for throwing Bran out a window. Then chopping Ned's head off. He's a MONSTER!!!

Seriously, this is a realistic depiction of marriage as contract as it was for the vast majority of history.

And for all you know, GRRM has a marriage between Sansa and Ramsey planned in the future, and D&D just got there first.

Grow up and learn how art works. You don't hold the writer responsible for the actions of his villains. It's just ridiculous. This isn't Walt Disney's Pollyanna, though many of *you* are.

Seriously, this is a realistic depiction of marriage as contract as it was for the vast majority of history.

This is true. It's probably a good time to remind people that Dany was crying in agony when she was deflowered in the first book, and that was also coerced consent.

There are many reasons to take issue with the conclusion, but the mere fact that it was rape probably isn't one of them.

Edited by Takyon

D & D didn't do *anything* to Sansa. Sansa is not real. Sansa is a character.

Many of the posters here, earlier this week, were accusing D&D of perving on Sophie Turner. In reality, they handled the scene tactfully and did not show any nudity.

Now, I repeat, Sansa is not real. If you're so upset that a character had realistic marital-rape sex, then please go on to the Game Of Thrones Book 1 forum and complaint about how awful GRRM is for doing that to Daenarys. And then complain about how awful he is for throwing Bran out a window. Then chopping Ned's head off. He's a MONSTER!!!

And for all you know, GRRM has a marriage between Sansa and Ramsey planned in the future, and D&D just got there first.

Grow up and learn how art works. You don't hold the writer responsible for the actions of his villains. It's just ridiculous. This isn't Walt Disney's Pollyanna, though many of *you* are.

you're gon get slammed but i'm with you

and if there was no rape scene, I can imagine a bunch of people jumping out of their seats ''they are whitewashing ramsay's character, im never watching again blah blah''

Dany wasn't "taken," she was raped. Another rape that the writers of the show invented themselves.

Just like Jaime and Cersei.

I think this is how it goes in the writers' room at GOT headquarters:

D1: "This female character is in serious need of some character development."

D2: "Rape."

D1: "I was thinking the same thing."

D2: "This is groundbreaking stuff we're doing here."

Random Writer 1: "But what about the released WOW chapter, it implies that the character development goes in a different direction than rape."

D&D: "But rape is more compelling. Forget the lack of nuance, especially since Sansa will not get the necessary counselling in this setting, forget all logic and just focus on the shock value, rape is definitely more compelling."

RW1: "But..."

D&D: "We killed Barristan because that guy spoke up, man, we can fire you whenever we want, and brag about it at the next Con or Roundtable. Remember that."

All this bitching about the Sansa scene is uncalled for. It really wasn't that bad. It wasn't for shock value. There is no way they'd have time to do Henry the Heir and fArya in the TV show, and it appears both roles were somewhat critical. It is not about Sansa being used as a plot device for Theon. There are also the Bolton's that need a Stark in Winterfell. It is a smart adaption straight out of source material in the books that streamlines, and ties the Winterfell/Vale story-lines together nicely, and makes absolute sense. The scenes in Winterfell were masterfully done. The wedding was beautiful. Sophie Turner, Iwan Rheon, and Alfie Allen's acting all superb. For the love of GRRM's universe, do yourself a favor and step off the "D&D are sexist pervs" bandwagon that's been built here. Put your pitchforks away.

What's funny to me is that almost everyone here who voted 1/10 was probably prepared to do so before they ever seen the episode.

This is true. It's probably a good time to remind people that Dany was crying in agony when she was deflowered in the first book, and that was also coerced consent.

There are many reasons to take issue with the conclusion, but the mere fact that it was rape probably isn't one of them.

I guess you really need to reread Danny's wedding chapter if you remember her crying in agony.

If you're talking about her wedding on the show, just look at this thread from this forum http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/49152-book-tv-spoilers-dany-and-drogos-relationship/

You'll see that, unlike you're trying to say, a lot of people weren't happy of how that scene was filmed.

Of course, the outrage was not the same as in this week episode, but you have to remember that this scene is from the first episode of the first season, so the fan base was a lot smaller.

To me it probably was the worst episode this season, but not because of the WF stuff, but entireley because how poorly the Dorne part was handled. I'm not even talking about the storyline as a whole they came up with, but the scene itself. What are the Sand Snakes doing there? Swarming out to do what? Kill Myrcella? Probably not? So, to stop potential intruders? How did they know those intruders would be there at this exact time?

And Jaime/Bronne... they just walk in there and immediately know their way around? Then this fight scene... if I didn't know they can do WAY better, I'd just blame it on the budget constraints of television, but seriously, this was maybe the worst fight of the entire series.

The Winterfell scene... well, I guess IF Sansa is there as Ramsay's bride, then this was the inevitable next step. It just HAD to happen, as unpleasant as it was to watch. And I think it was very truthfully and gracefully done. The manner this very scene was shot was just very good television.

The rest of the episode was fine. The hall of faces was impressive, Tyrion and Jorah had some very good quiet moments, and hooray Olenna's back. I still don't entirely get what Littlefinger is planning, but I really hope this is not just about making chaotic desicions merely for the sake of chaos, because he thrives on that... I really hope he has at least an idea of where he's going...

Bottom line, to me it was a 7.5, and to counterbalance a bit against the many emotionally motivated votes, I gave it an 8.

Edited by kn1tt3r