[Poll] How would you rate episode 506

How would you rate episode 506?  

769 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

I'm guessing a lot of people would say that there are certain members of the book readers club who "stick their fingers in their ears and shout argument ad populum at the top of their lungs" at any change at all.

As for the viewing figures according to everything I've seen they are still holding high. The US Cable ratings has episode #5 down as the most watched program of its time slot, over the NBA play offs. In Europe its ratings are still killing every other show, to the best of my knowledge.

So if its still the most watched show on TV...kind of kills your point doesn't it?

I don't think it's the most watched show on TV, though it may have won it's time slot, every episode this season they have lost audience, making the latest episode the least watched since season 3.

I wouldn't call that holding high. I would call that...losing audience. And I would say when you start the season with 8 million people watching the show for it's first run and by episode 6, you are barely over 6 million, that this is a sign that your audience is not as interested or vested in the show as it was once was.

The Greyjoys attacked the North because Balon was an idiot who was obsessed with revenge against the Starks and wanted to 'pay the iron price' and do what they always did in the recent past. I don't know that this qualifies as a plot hole, but yes, there are some plot holes in the books, nothing like the obvious glaring ones in the show though.

GOT aspires to be like The Wire in terms of quality. It is talked about as a quality show which makes the blatant continuity errors and sloppiness all the more infuriating. Oh, and the audience was down again, worst rating since 2013, so it's not just the minority of nerds who are reacting to the drop in quality this year and can no longer be ignored or brushed aside.

Ever thought about the possible reason of the drop in quality being the drastic drop in quality of the source material?

<snip>

The books are fun, well-written pulpy genre fiction, nothing more; the show is also fun, well-written pulpy genre fiction, nothing more. The books aren't To Kill a Mockingbird and the show isn't The Wire. Deadwood.

well said, Fez...just tweaked it a little bit for ya!

Your argument cracks me up. Just because it's fiction doesn't mean that there are no rules anymore.

Would you still like movies like James Bond if the actor was able to fall from a tower and land without being injured? Or TLotR if Frodo transformed himself int a fucking fire breathing giant that destroyed Sauron's army in the blink of an eye?

<snip.

do you mean realism like this...

i love james bond in part because wild crazy shit happens with regularity...

Well I just can't agree with that. The books are modern classics, some of the finest work the contemporary fantasy genre has to offer. Some of the finest the genre has to offer period. But of course, some people see nothing more than boobs and dragons. If you only want to enjoy the books in that shallow manner be my guest, but you're missing 90% of the story by doing so. But the show? The show is just that top 10% layer.

I have no doubt that you can find plot holes in ASOIAF. But to this extent? No. For the most part ASOIAF is very tightly plotted with a lot of effort put into realism and believability. The show on the other hand has practically no internal consistency at this point, relying on pure bamboozlement to stop people from noticing.

i am a true fan of the books and the show...because as grrm has said each are a separate intity...but seriously man, this is a series about magic, dragons, zombies and shapeshifting...just what is realistic about any of that?

Care to point out where the show has done similar things as you described to justify your fucking pathetic strawman argument?

First, back off with the personal attacks, we're not at the kindergarten.

Saying that we shouldn't expect anything to be realistic because it's a work of fiction IS the strawman argument I was tackling with my examples. I never said the show did such things.

Now if you have some understanding problems, think twice before posting offensive comments.

Ever thought about the possible reason of the drop in quality being the drastic drop in quality of the source material?

This argument doesn't hold since D&D are "doing everything to fix the books", hence justifying the massive changes.

You can't have it both ways.

i am a true fan of the books and the show...because as grrm has said each are a separate intity...but seriously man, this is a series about magic, dragons, zombies and shapeshifting...just what is realistic about any of that?

The existence of fantasty elements does not mean that a series cannot have realism. It boggles my mind how many people can say that on a fan forum for a series of fantasy novels, and it makes me realise that the reason the show continues to get praise is because people literally think the books are boobs and dragons and nothing more.

The key is internal consistency. When a series introduces fantasy elements it must still have logic and consistency. For example dragons work a certain way, we know a fair bit about their behaviour and biology. If that knowledge is contradicted, then there is a lack of internal consistency. Martin puts a lot of effort into building a consistent world, and to telling us about politics, military strategy etc. He takes a quasi-historical approach to the series, drawing upon the real middle ages to make his world more believable. The fantastic can only be believed if it is grounded in reality.

The show is condensing two books into 10 hours of TV, and they are not at all constrained to stick to the end of Dance, they can borrow from the rest of the unpublished story, so I really don't think that is a valid excuse, especially, when laughably, the critics started the season saying how the show had improved on the books and this was going to be the best season ever.

How is GRRM to be blamed for the terrible Dorne plot? He didn't send Jamie and Bronn to Dorne or have everyone arrive in the middle of the water gardens at the same time.

He isn't responsible for the terrible pacing and the lack of tension in any of the plots that the show has kept or invented.

When discussing "realism", I think people want the world to have consistent rules, whatever those rules are. If you say dragons exist in the world that's fine, but unless you explain why some people take months to travel the same path that others can travel in one scene then it breaks emersion. If you explain it by saying they can teleport then that's fine too. You probably then need to explain why everyone doesn't teleport though. Likewise if characters behave in ways that make no sense, that's a problem whether it's a fantasy world, science fiction, or historical film. The reason the show is popular in the first place is because it is based on books where the characters behave in "believeable" ways relative to the situations they are placed in. The show has increasingly been putting characters in situations that make no sense and having characters behave in ways that aren't particularly believeable. I think that is the focus of most complaints about "realism" in a fantasy show.

People want consistency. Sure speeding up travel can completely make sense at times and be waved off as time passed off screen. What doesn't make sense is Brienne taking half a season to get from King's Landing to the Crossroads Inn, when Littlefinger can make it from winterfell to King's Landing in one episode for example. People traveling the exact same routes and taking drastically different amounts of time to get where they are going, yet very small amounts of time passing for all the other characters. Even if we say that Littlefinger made the trip and the appropriate time passed off screen, that would mean that Loras has been in captivity for a month or longer prior to the "trial". Hence describing Littlefinger as "teleporting". If they waited 2 episodes before Littlefinger arrived then it would be a completely plausible explanation to say he traveled during that time. If that was the worst complaint about the show then you are right that it would be relatively minor in the grand scheme of things.

I mean there's pure hating and there's pure stupid. One might well induce another. Loras donned a pretty long beard in the interrogation scene. Have any idea how long beards grow or do you think Loras got bored in prison and bribed the guard for some Krazy Glue to add something interesting to his chin?

The amount of critique the show gets here that is simply 'moronic' is so big that it undermines any and every valid point there can be made to the show. But hey, continue that and I might even find the whole sandsnakes thing somewhat okay.

.precisely. this season was always going to be tough given the (to put it at its mildest) major wheelspinning of the last two books. for the casual viewer its duller than season 4, imagine if they had the whole cast of characters from the last two books dropped on them!

season 6 as the brown stuff hits the fan (and I trust d&d to actually deliver on that on schedule far more that grrm at this stage) it will draw casual viewers back in droves

Saying that we shouldn't expect anything to be realistic because it's a work of fiction IS the strawman argument I was tackling with my examples. I never said the show did such things.

Now if you have some understanding problems, think twice before posting offensive comments.

You said, and I quote: "Would you still like movies like James Bond if the actor was able to fall from a tower and land without being injured? Or TLotR if Frodo transformed himself int a fucking fire breathing giant that destroyed Sauron's army in the blink of an eye?"

This implies that the show does things to the books that are in similar level. Show the things that are in similar level or again, shove your strawman.

well said, Fez...just tweaked it a little bit for ya!

do you mean realism like this...

1) i love james bond in part because wild crazy shit happens with regularity...

2) i am a true fan of the books and the show...because as grrm has said each are a separate intity...but seriously man, this is a series about magic, dragons, zombies and shapeshifting...just what is realistic about any of that?

1) I admit, James Bond was not my most judicious choice, but still. Even him wouldn't survive a 100m fall without any gadgets.

2) If you really believe that this is a series about magic, dragons, zombies and shapeshifting, I don't see why you could have liked the first book/season, since these elements are so small.

So, if next week Sansa uses her magical necklace to kill Ramsey and escape flying on top of it, would you be OK with it? It's a show about magic after all, so why not?

just as an aside...any time i hear people who hate something so much but watch/listen anyway i always think of my boy howard stern and the scene in private parts where his ratings are discussed...more people who hated him listened than people who dug him though both had same reason, to see what he would do/say next...

wow a saying about pots and kettles just popped into my head...go figure

What a huge Fu***** disgrace. What the hell is happening to this show! Over half way through the season and all we have to talk about it this shit episode.

What kills me is the WG scene where Bronn and Jamie just stroll up in broad daylight LOL then Jamie is like "psst! hey pssst!, let me talk to you" LOLLOLOL Then that fight scene. HAHAHAHAHA

Rated 1 For pure shit.

(Look on Reeks face just before the cut suggests he's about to stab someone..)

.precisely. this season was always going to be tough given the (to put it at its mildest) major wheelspinning of the last two books. for the casual viewer its duller than season 4, imagine if they had the whole cast of characters from the last two books dropped on them!

season 6 as the brown stuff hits the fan (and I trust d&d to actually deliver on that on schedule far more that grrm at this stage) it will draw casual viewers back in droves

I don't know how anyone can say that the show's decline is due to the books, when they're only following the very broad strokes of the book's plot at this point.

Has that ever happened? Has a show ever lost significant audience and then gained it back in later seasons? That seems somewhat unlikely to me.

This argument doesn't hold since D&D are "doing everything to fix the books", hence justifying the massive changes.

You can't have it both ways.

Who has claimed that and where? Maybe they are salvaging what they can to say true to the spirit of the books, make a good TV show and have the general direction that goes towards GRRM's planned end game?

What a huge Fu***** disgrace. What the hell is happening to this show! Over half way through the season and all we have to talk about it this shit episode.

What kills me is the WG scene where Bronn and Jamie just stroll up in broad daylight LOL then Jamie is like "psst! hey pssst!, let me talk to you" LOLLOLOL Then that fight scene. HAHAHAHAHA

Rated 1 For pure shit.

(Look on Reeks face just before the cut suggests he's about to stab someone..)

So. You thought there are not enough "1"- votes to rate this episode low enough and here goes another sock puppet just for that?