[Poll] How would you rate episode 506

How would you rate episode 506?  

769 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

You must be new to any SF/fantasy books if you don't understand this:

The first rule for such books is: It has to make sense.

Yes, you can add extraordinary elements to your story, but these elements must obey some rules that you're creating yourself. Taking the dragons for example, the books clearly defined what they were (How they look, what are their defining characteristics (flying and breathing fire), how many time does it take for them to grow up, how long do they live, how big they are,...). If, in the next book, we're presented with a horse that transforms himself into a submarine dragon that shits gold, we're going to have a bad time trying to make sense of any of this.

Having some "fantasy" elements into your story is not an excuse to bad writing So don't use it as an excuse to justify bad decisions, even if the believable option is more "boring" or "wouldn't made good TV".

Gotcha. So where in the show does that happen? Other than traveling not taking as long as it should. How would you have improved on that?

I do agree with a poster above that talked about being consistent with it. If it takes one person in the show an episode to travel somewhere it should take another person traveling the same distance roughly the same amount of time.

All the nonsense about the horse transforming itself & blah blah is just that. Nonsense. It doesn't matter how many extraordinary things you make up or how you talk down to me; it won't change the fact that nothing like that has happened on the show.

I didn't say anything about having elements of fantasy justifying bad writing or bad decisions. If you think D&D have some poor writing &/or some bad decisions I would probably agree with you. But we weren't speaking of things being bad decisions, we are talking about whether or not something is realistic.

Edited by Lyanna<3Rhaegar

People can watch what ever they want to watch and rate based on whatever criteria they want to rate on. You only rate on things you have positive thoughts on (because of the self censoring process you use) that is fine.

On the last point, there is another option: people did not have a positive experience and rated it accordingly. That is perfectly valid and far more honest than hate-voting a 10 due to not liking someone else's rating.

Oh I couldn't agree more & for the record I didn't change my vote.

People can rate anyway they choose & I will do the same. My issue is exactly yours only the opposite way. People rating at 1 to bring the curve down. Not dying everyone who rated 1 did that (although like I said before I have a hard time understanding who would continue to watch a show they hated) but some of them are undoubtedly rating lower than they would have because they are irritated with the 9's & 10's.

Oh I couldn't agree more & for the record I didn't change my vote.

People can rate anyway they choose & I will do the same. My issue is exactly yours only the opposite way. People rating at 1 to bring the curve down. Not dying everyone who rated 1 did that (although like I said before I have a hard time understanding who would continue to watch a show they hated) but some of them are undoubtedly rating lower than they would have because they are irritated with the 9's & 10's.

No doubt there are many who do that - and that is the very reason Ran does the top and bottom cuts when he does the stats...

But in the years I've been watching these polls then amount of "I voted 10 to counter the low votes" comments vastly outweighs the reverse. Most notably there was an episode a couple of years back when the 1 votes hit double figures rather quickly. The amount of 'I gave 10 because...' outraged comments we more than the number of 1 votes as a response, so I quite happily call people out on that BS ever since. (In that particular instance I gave the episode a 7 iirc)

Edited by Ser Desmond Wine's Bane

No doubt there are many who do that - and that is the very reason Ran does the top and bottom cuts when he does the stats...

But in the years I've been watching these polls then amount of "I voted 10 to counter the low votes" comments vastly outweighs the reverse. Most notably there was an episode a couple of years back when the 1 votes hit double figures rather quickly. The amount of 'I gave 10 because...' outraged comments we more than the number of 1 votes as a response, so I quite happily call people out on that BS ever since. (In that particular instance I gave the episode a 7 iirc)

I have seen many of those comments. & I know I said I wanted to but I would not ever really do it.

Eta: it is quite interesting to me that the most votes came in at 1 & 8! 100 & some a piece. What a vast difference.

Edited by Lyanna<3Rhaegar

Eta: it is quite interesting to me that the most votes came in at 1 & 8! 100 & some a piece. What a vast difference.

I put it down to a lot of people in the 8 category put a lot of emphasis on technical things like set design, costumes and production, while a lot of people below 4 put emphasis on 'how much did I enjoy this episode'. Both would appear to be valid ways of making a rating.

Gotcha. So where in the show does that happen? Other than traveling not taking as long as it should. How would you have improved on that?

I do agree with a poster above that talked about being consistent with it. If it takes one person in the show an episode to travel somewhere it should take another person traveling the same distance roughly the same amount of time.

All the nonsense about the horse transforming itself & blah blah is just that. Nonsense. It doesn't matter how many extraordinary things you make up or how you talk down to me; it won't change the fact that nothing like that has happened on the show.

I didn't say anything about having elements of fantasy justifying bad writing or bad decisions. If you think D&D have some poor writing &/or some bad decisions I would probably agree with you. But we weren't speaking of things being bad decisions, we are talking about whether or not something is realistic.

I started talking to you responding to one of your lines: The argument that this or that just isn't realistic cracks me up. None of this is realistic... Its fake, fantasy, fiction.

I responded that a book/show being a work of fiction or fantasy didn't justify it to be unrealistic, giving two over the top examples to justify my point. Exaggerated examples that didn't make sense to make you understand that being fiction or fantasy doesn't excuse everything.

You then responded telling me: That is no less realistic than Dragons, magic, wargs, & direwolves...

I then responded that, in an SF/Fantasy world, these elements were believable and could even be considered as realistic, as long as they obeyed rules created by the author.

I then gave you one example of something that could be seen as unrealistic in the books (the horse transforming into a dragon).

What I was trying to say was that, even if dragons and direwolves are unrealistic to us, they are realistic in the books. They follow rules and are consistent. So brushing away all critics about the show not being realistic saying that "there are dragons and direwolves" is not a valid argument.

We cannot excuse the faster than light travel times by saying "it's unrealistic but so are dragons", because dragons are a known entity in the books, but jetpacks or wormholes are not.

Of course, this is a tough problem to resolve and I don't have a pre-made solution ready for you, but well, I'm not a writer of this show.

If they really are trying to create a quality show, they have to think about these problems and try to resolve them, and we cannot excuse them when they are not consistent with it just because GoT is fantasy.

We certainly wouldn't excuse these things on a show like The Wire or The Sopranos.

I never said that any of my over the top examples happened in the show, quite the contrary.

Hope you understand my point now.

Edited by Valetudo

I voted 1 because this episode was a steaming pile of horseshit from start to finish. I love this show and I am hoping this does not happen again.

This may be my favorite rating of all time...

...and I completely agree about this episode as well as the show

The books are FAR from modern classics. They are classics of fantasy, but not of all literature. Its not a question of not seeing how deep the books are, its that they aren't that deep. GRRM has quite good prose, and that's something that's gotten better over time; but the books themselves are a well-built epic fantasy soap-opera. True literary classics do more than provide diverting entertainment, they elevate us; they can make us think about the world or aspects of it in ways we hadn't before, they can inspire us, they can devastate us, they can introspection like little else. A true classic can change some small part of the world.

ASOIAF does none of that. The books are quite good, but nothing worthy of reverence.

ETA: And the show isn't as good as last season, I won't deny that. I still think it is very good though. Although I never would have put on the very top tier of TV shows. The only reason it gets talked about that way is because it is the only "water cooler" show left in the US besides The Walking Dead, and nearly everyone agrees that it is much better than that show.

Have to disagree with most of this post. I personally find the books capable of elevating me, making me think about the world and aspects of it in ways I hadn't before, inspiring me, devastating me. And judging by the often passion fueled-discussions on these forums, I can guess that I'm not alone in this.

1 has the highest vote with 18% right now. It'd become prime minister of the UK if this were an election :-)

My rating for this is also 1. I don't know how GoT can recover from this low. It just jumped the shark as of this episode. I hope grrm will be our savior and write his books quickly so that the memory of this season can be erased asap.

The Dornish plot was amateurish at best. I've actually seen more well thought out plots in some 80s B-movies. I have no words about the winterfell scenes. They were beyond tasteless. I had hated last season's handling of the North storyline with Jon being sent out with the superfluous character of Locke to rescue Hodor, Bran and Meera. Basically the show really butchered the North storyline with this episode.