[Poll] How would you rate episode 506

How would you rate episode 506?  

769 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

I didn't think this episode was very strong but 1/10 is unfair to the performances given by Alfie Allen and Iain Glenn in particular, and just goes to show how rabid and overreactive the fan base is, as well how quick to latch onto the mob mentality so many fans are. Sansa's bath scene was pretty good, I thought, and I enjoyed Littlefinger's brief appearance. The Inquest was just ok, and as everyone pointed out the birthmark trope was silly. Unlike the hordes of third-wave feminists that are attempting to take over the internet, I had no problem with Sansa's scene, but the debacle in Dorne is just too much to give more than a 7. I voted 6, but the real tragedy of this episode is the culmination of this Princess-kidnap plot being impossible to overlook since the only redeeming thing about it is Jerome Flynn's comedic delivery.

3/10

The episode was quite boring in my opinion. Dorne is just awkward. The wedding scene was aesthetically beautiful but the ending really unpleasant to watch. I'm usually very excited for upcoming episodes, I think it's okay to deviate from the books, but now I'm really scared that some plotlines won't make sense anymore and this episode made me realize this.

Perhaps a 4 or even a 3. The Sand snakes scene was ludicrous, Olyvar's evidence was incredibly flimsy and Sansa's scenes should be self explanatory. The worst part is that as the season goes on I'm increasingly struggling to view the world presented as an authentic one. Each moment of action or dialogue between characters when I should be invested is instead spent wondering why the showrunners made these decisions. I can't get out of the mindset.

Perhaps a 4 or even a 3. The Sand snakes scene was ludicrous, Olyvar's evidence was incredibly flimsy and Sansa's scenes should be self explanatory. The worst part is that as the season goes on I'm increasingly struggling to view the world presented as an authentic one. Each moment of action or dialogue between characters when I should be invested is instead spent wondering why the showrunners made these decisions. I can't get out of the mindset.

While I thought using the birthmark was really elementary type writing, the purpose of the inquest was to determine if there was enough proof to go to trial. So while it was flimsy, having a witness claim to have lain with you, as well as the rumors was enough to go to trial to determine the truth of the claims. Remember that Brother Lancel probably is quite aware of Loras' sexuality and I'd believe the Faith to take his word quite seriously. He hasn't been judged guilty yet, however.

Edited by DarkAndFullOfTurnips

Am I missing something? Why have people voted the episode at a 1?

Because many of the voters are metaphorically [ not to mention literally] unbalanced?

the "ratings" have been a joke all season, and of course the latest episode drove that to new heights - about 150 more votes than normal so widespread vote stuffing taking place.

Essentially you have:

• some people assessing the show based on its overall quality as a show, where 1 is the worst tv show ever and 10 is the best

others assessing it more or less as an adaptation-where 10 is if every line is from the book and 1 if where none are

others assessing it on how they feel about it- where 1 is if they dislike it and 10 if they love it [ the latter rarely happens]. They tend to be more "invested" in the characters if you know what i mean...

and all that is added together to give a histogram of this tossed salad of different assessment criteria- because all statistical distributions look like the histogram of voting patterns here :bang:

Edited by God-Emperor of Yi Ti

Usually when I watch GOT and the episodes ends I get the feeling of "needing/wanting" to see more.. despite of how good/bad the episode was..but with this episode I was left with the feeling of fear. (towards how the show is going)

Rating 1 might seem to be extreme but the poor quality of this episode is also extreme, compared to everything else in the series.

While I thought using the birthmark was really elementary type writing, the purpose of the inquest was to determine if there was enough proof to go to trial. So while it was flimsy, having a witness claim to have lain with you, as well as the rumors was enough to go to trial to determine the truth of the claims. Remember that Brother Lancel probably is quite aware of Loras' sexuality and I'd believe the Faith to take his word quite seriously. He hasn't been judged guilty yet, however.

True, but it felt like modern sensibilities intruding on a world that is supposed to take place in a medieval setting. In our society mentioning someone's intimate birthmark might well be seen as a sign of a relationship (or that you are very active on tinder) but in Westeros there is ample precedence that a squire or a servant helps his master dress, undress and bathe. Therefore mentioning a birthmark on the buttock shouldn't have raised so much as an eyebrow. Ironically it would likely be more evidence of a relationship if a female knew about the birthmark than a male.

The fact that neither Loras, Margery or Olenna even tried to bring this up is a huge oversight and the only excuse is that the plot needed it to happen. Performances remain as strong as ever though, which is why I didn't rate even lower. The writing for the whole season has been decidedly sub-par.

Maybe the funny thing about why they have a voted a 1, is because it starts at the top of the page. Psychologically, unblanaced

I personally couldn't find a memorable sceen in this episode at all

Pickled heads, how are they faceless?

Water gardens of a farmers feild?

A gay squire that is just comical?

Magcial Dwarf cock, take the Dwarf to milk his cock?

Am not gonna say nothing about wedding it has been said..

Edited by Johnsmith

I'm not sure what was more painful: the birthmark scene, all of Dorne, or what Sansa had to endure at the end. Probably Sansa...Maybe.

Gods this episode was horrid. Alfie can act though. Gave it a 5 but probably should have given it a 4.

I do agree, however, that there are far too many 1's. Just as I always think there are far too many 9's and 10's. Only the absolute best episodes deserve a 10. There are probably only 2 or so, in my opinion. Several were worth a 9.

This episode was bad. Hell, I'd be willing to go as low as 3 or 4, but there is still story, however misguided. There is still plot, no matter how many pointless scenes there have been. And there are still several good actors in the mix.

1s wouldn't be so extreme if those same people weren't constantly putting up 9s and 10s for 95% of the other episodes across all five seasons. I feel like there is a lot of, "They did what?! Blasphemy! My score is 1." If it was that bad, truly, I wouldn't be watching it at all.

The episode was just bad, even without getting into the Sansa controversy.

- How can the faith arrest the Queen for perjury with the Kingsguard standing by her side?

- Aren't the Tyrells the second most powerful family in Westeros? Where are Olenna's guards? How could the faith arrest the heir to Highgarden as if he was nothing?

- And Olyvar, a male prostitute, has a more credible argument than the Queen and her brother? In-show, Lancel used to be Robert's squire and saw him naked, as depicted in season 1. If Olyvar did the same for Loras, then wouldn't he know about the mark?

- Dorne doesn't need explaining.

- Arya's storyline was interesting, but nothing that could salvage this episode.

- Tyrion's been reduced to an angelic dwarf. I'm not even sure why his name is still Tyrion.

- Sansa's bath scene was a strong point in the episode, and aesthetically speaking, the wedding, Sansa's dress and the scenery was beautiful. If I hadn't hated so much the scene that followed it, I'd watch it again just for the small details. Sansa looked beautiful, and seeing her with her auburn hair broke my heart.

- I give them the casting of Alfie Allen, Sophie Turner and Iwan Rheon. All around good acting, and Sophie and Alfie killed it. As an actor, I feel that Iwan and Sophie might get tired of just going for the same beats in the show.

Edited by Alayne's Shadow.

- Sansa's bath scene was a strong point in the episode, and aesthetically speaking, the wedding, Sansa's dress and the scenery was beautiful. If I hadn't hated so much the scene that followed it, I'd watch it again just for the small details. Sansa looked beautiful, and seeing her with her auburn hair broke my heart.

Having her sass at Myranda like they're rivals in a high school drama was still moronic though.

ETA: as another actor, I'm thoroughly unimpressed by Sophie Turner but apparently it's just me.

Edited by Facebookless Man

Her sassing Myranda was still moronic though.

Having her sass at Myranda like they're rivals in a high school drama was still moronic though.

ETA: as another actor, I'm thoroughly unimpressed by Sophie Turner but apparently it's just me.

How is it moronic? Sansa, while at the mercy of Ramsey right now, is far too important for the Bolton's tenuous claim on the North to be threatened by Myranda and she's had enough of people giving her a hard time just to fuck with her. Myranda is basically a stable girl, do you think noble women took well to being intimated by commoners?

Edited by DarkAndFullOfTurnips