[Poll] How would you rate episode 506

How would you rate episode 506?  

769 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

I read an article. I don't know if you were referring to that, but it was defenitely not a good article. It was full of utter bulshit.

The scene HAD plot relevance. It showed that Ramsey is a dangerous man! Didn't we already know that? Yes, we did. But this time we saw his violence in a sexual way, which was new. More importantly, there is no one way to say HOW MUCH violence, HOW OFTEN, HOW BRUTAL is necessary to get the point accross. That is a matter of aesthetics, an artistic choice.

It is obviously very hypocritical. Things happens in the show that nobody complains about, much worse things. And they happen often. Nobody cares. But when Sansa is 'raped' (let's assume she actually was raped), it is a bad thing? Why shouldn't D&D be allowed to have her raped? Even when it is just for shock value? 80% of the show is not about plot advancement, but to trigger some emotion (laughter, shock, a warm glow, etc.)

99% of the movies is about crimes, murders, etc. And if you only leave in the parts that actually advance the plot (without making some things graphic), you could shorten films and series by 80%.

Ser Desmond - Ramsay did say the same thing, though, in slightly different words. If I remember right, he complains that Jeyne is too 'dry' and says, "Reek, prepare her for me.". Reek says, "But I have no..." and Ramsay replies, "Use your mouth, fool." That's close enough. The Jeyne scene in the 5th novel is much worse.

Edited by The Killer Snark

Ser Desmond - Ramsay did say the same thing, though, in slightly different words. If I remember right, he complains that Jeyne is too 'dry' and says, "Reek, prepare her for me.". Reek says, "But I have no..." and Ramsay replies, "Use your mouth, fool." That's close enough. The Jeyne scene in the 5th novel is much worse.

Exactly. Thank you for demonstrating my point. He didn't say it about Sansa.

Regarding the episode itself I thought Arya and Sansas scenes were exceptionally well done in every respect.

essos also very well written and acted although the pirates encounter could have been set up better.

KL apart from the inquest done perfect. Inquest could have done with explaining where we were a bit more- a walk and talk would have done that. Otherwise well done I think will look better when the chickens come home to roost for Cersei.

Dorne looked lovely but fight was badly choreographed. That whole sequence could have been fixed with tighter editing and the addition of a scene where a spotter sees Jamie and Bronn eneter the city gates.

8 out of 10

Ser Desmond - Thing is, though, and I don't want to start an in-depth discussion on the subject as has got a lot of other recent threads locked, I knew the rape was coming from the moment they substituted Sansa for Jeyne, and though I disagree with D and D's methods of character transplantation, they either had to go through with it, to my mind, or develop an uncanonically nauseous romance between Ramsay and Sansa that would have wound up actually outraging even more purists. So I believe they had to go there once they'd made their bed (meaning the producers): I think they would have been cowards if they'd not chosen to lie in it. I didn't enjoy the rape scene. No-one was meant to. But at least it was treated sensitively. If D and D had set out purely for cheap shocks and to be insensitive, they could have followed it on the credits by playing Sir Mixalot's Baby Got Back.

@Killer Shark? Again, what is wrong about doing it for "cheap chock" and being insensitive?

People are KILLED in the show, often only for shock value! They are TORTURED. They are HUMILIATED. They are FLAYED. The only reason that people watch tv to begin with is that they want to be moved, touched, shocked, aroused, amused, etc. There is absolutely nothing wrong with having someone raped just for shock value (in a television show, that is of course).

Edited by Ajax Rules

Ajax - You know, I actually agree. I think what makes it insensitive or not is how far it deviates from source and how clumsily or elegantly it's handled. I think it's more of a question of internal logic and aesthetics in the end. Or at least it's that way with me.

Yes, with me also!

Apart from wantig more shock value and nudity, I thought it was very well handled, acted, directed, etc. (Of course, the fact the she agreed to go to Winterfell in the first place was very poorly handled. It was an insult to viewers intelligence).

Yes, with me also!

Apart from wantig more shock value and nudity, I thought it was very well handled, acted, directed, etc. (Of course, the fact the she agreed to go to Winterfell in the first place was very poorly handled. It was an insult to viewers intelligence).

Shouldn't the sceen have showed her refusing to undress, not attempting to undress, followed by him hitting, tearing her dress, following with her protests, proceeding with what had been shown. Rather than what had been shown in this oncreen episode version of submiissive, domiant fetishism.

Cause and effect. Than an actual case could be made into whatever other absurdity has been prompted from want of a proper definition shown.

What we had here is a piss poor sceen executed with no reasonable justification, awful, contradictory build up.

We can only judge the information shown. Later they might build a case into what was lacking here.

Edited by Johnsmith

So in dorne you can just pop into a palace and a have a bun fight with who you like..it was crap.

The sand sisters should take up backing singing or something because revenge seems a little out of reach.

Now Sansa. I have not had a cig in years this episode made me want to smoke. It was so terrible..

If your going to change an excellent story and plot line then at least be consistent. Is Sansa going back to being a pathetic wussss.. or is she becoming stronger which is it going to be guys ???.. she used to give Joffery more lip,and she was terrified of him.

These characters have kept me warm on cold nights for years now.. does anyone else feel possesive and protective.

I gave the episode a 9/10. It kicked you were it hurt and the emotional discomfort left cracks that will take time to heal.

Dorne was grand. A little slap stick. Convenient timing, plot rushing.

The rest of the show had great pace and time to breath.

Tyrion and Ser Friendzone had some solid lines. Another strong character pairing.

The KL scenes were tense. Cersei is smirking now, but you can’t help to remember what both Tywin and Tyrion have told her in the past, she really isn’t as clever as she thinks she is.

Arya helped to kill a girl. She was beaten with a stick. Was brought into a huge room filled with people’s faces. So much to consider there. Very well put together.

And Sansa v’s the Bolton’s. Talk about something that will be debated about for years to come. It was horrible to watch, but it cemented, focused, the audience. The Red Wedding was shocking, but it was a plot of many characters. But the Sansa/Ramsay scene will be burnt into the minds of everyone that watched. A reminder why the show has been so successful. And a great way to play with the heads of book readers who are for the first time really starting to understand what TV viewers have been feeling for years.

These characters have kept me warm on cold nights for years now.. does anyone else feel possesive and protective.

I think that's the point. The Boltons have hurt someone that we all kinda feel protective of. You don't have to like Sansa to know that she hasn't had the easiest of times. And just when you started to think that things were looking up, she has been put into the worst position possible by the man that she saved last season.

But isn’t that what makes a good story? Our reaction to what has happened to this poor girl and our need for her to be saved, avenged or for her to take that vengeance herself?

The show has been going downhill but this is finally an episode with actual important events happening even if it was poorly executed like the Dorne stuff... It's interesting but just poor decision making lowers the quality.

YES. so much important stuff happens here, arya's storyline has developed the full feast for crows, Sandsnakes will finally get locked up, jorah and tyrion are finally on a slave ship to slavers bay, Margaery is finally locked up, not for the right reasons, but still, it's canon.

i gave it an 8/10. knocked off a point for poor execution in Dorne - lets just walk into the water gardens ... no guards or anything. Also, lets have Obara fight Jaimie. she should have taken him out in seconds if not for his brand new shiny plot armour. any of them could actually kill goldenhand in seconds (as im not sure if it was obara fighting jaimie) - knocked off another point because of Sansa. nothing else needs to be said... but if she is Jeyne Poole now, that should have been expected, but i didnt see it coming. Sansa is still an unraped maid in my eyes.

I know alot of fans are disappointed with this season but it is actually one of my favourite seasons. I have loved every single episode and i gave last night's a strong 9. I think all scenes were acted brilliantly. I don't agree with all views on the sand snakes. There scenes seemed okay to me especially with Bronn and Jaime. Sansa, Ramsey and Reek were all fantastic at the end of the episode. Reek especially.

The storyline with Olenna, Cersi, Loras & Margaery was great too but the scenes with Jorah and Tyrion stole the show for me. They are such a fantasitc pairing in the show. Jorah's face when tyrion told him that his father had died was amazing. you can really feel his pain the same as when Dany bannished him.

It's fantasitc stuff. I'm so glad i haven't read the books. Fans do seem to spend alot of time comparing the books to the show and get really upset about changes they don't like. I'm so glad i don't have to do that. I just enjoy it for what it is.

Not the best episode I think, mostly because my favorites were scarcely in it. No Jon. Very nice scene of Tyrion and Jorah though convincing the slaver, that Jorah is a top fighter. Terrible Dorne scene. Again. I do miss Arianne and I'm waiting for Doran to release his plans! Nice Arya scenes. KL is getting to this boring state of collapsing powers due to Cercei's stupidity. Nice to have the Queen of thornes back though.

Now, the scene.

I'm not sure, why people are surprised actually. I was surprised only, that Sansa did marry Bolton, I was hoping on some rescue before that. Or expecting her to bail out somehow. Still, she agreed to marry the guy she knew is not a kind person. It was clear, that Ramsey would not wait with the bedding like Tyrion. It was clear, that Sansa would not really like it or that Ramsay would turn into a loving lover. I think it was clear to her, that it will happen. It was certainly worse than what she hoped for, and it is terrible to watch. But knowing Ramsay it could have been worse!

Didn't they show something similar in the beginning with Dany and Khal Drogo? I remember being surprised, because the TV bedding scene was different from the books, where Khal Drogo turned out to be much kinder than expected. TV Drogo was not so kind. Wasn't that the same? Can't remember any uproar then?

Roose Bolton told Ramsay about his mother, that he killed her husband and raped her then. I felt worse hearing this than seeing (or rather hearing) the scene with Sansa. There was more cold brutality in the story Roose told, than in the Sansa scene. Just with Sansa it feels more personal.

3. Full marks for the scenes in the House and Black and White.

Otherwise... I cannot believe how defiantly cringeworthy the Dorne story is. A willful fiasco. What ESL student is script supervisor down there in Spain? Sickeningly shite.

I suspect that nepotism or political correctness in the hiring/firing policy might explain it.

Edited by shavedquaithe

Now, the scene.

Didn't they show something similar in the beginning with Dany and Khal Drogo? I remember being surprised, because the TV bedding scene was different from the books, where Khal Drogo turned out to be much kinder than expected. TV Drogo was not so kind. Wasn't that the same? Can't remember any uproar then?

There was more cold brutality in the story Roose told, than in the Sansa scene. Just with Sansa it feels more personal.

Discontent is a little like a rolling stone, to use a terribly over used metaphor.

In season one its “Oh no, they changed this one thing that I liked”, by season 5 its “they changed a word, it was never sword, it was block”, I’m never watching this sh*t again, the wrong person got raped”.

Despite being told that the show will be different, over and over and over again, people have a blockage. Instead of enjoying having a really well made Fantasy show on TV, something that encourages the genre, we have people screaming blue murder.

If anyone has ever watched “The Big Bang” where the main characters get really involved in a stupid argument over a comic book character, like how does superman clean his underwear, and the audience laughs at how pointless it is. Well this is it in real life.

The reason Sansa was put in that position was to make it personal. So that it would be emotionally tearing for the audience and not just another “read shirt” being tormented by Ramsay. Real emotional tole. We care about Sansa, we don’t want her to get hurt, she does, the Boltons become enemy #1. Stannis becomes hero #1 if he can smash heads.

It just dawned to me. Some book readers got to taste the medicine their own version of chopping Ned Stark's head off and basically went all OtakuAssemble here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOoA1OtcNjM

Thus far everyone has had time to read all the horrible stuff in the books, process it and so on. Now it all just... happened. It's new. It's hard.