[BOOK SPOILERS] What your non-reader friends/family thought and their predictions

- Thought "The Dwarf lives until we find a cock merchant" was hilarious and rewound the episode to show me. At first I thought it was just a stupid tv show line meant for cheap laughs, and obviously it was. However I thought about it for a second and it occurred to me that there are a lot of Eunuchs on this show. There must be a market for cocks somewhere (witchcraft and such). So I give them a pass on that.

- Recognized some tonal inconsistency with Jaime and Bronn's scenes, remarking that it seemed like a comedy. Additionally, they thought the Sand Snakes turned out to be a bit of a joke and I pretty much agree with that. The whole "you fight pretty well for a girl" and her subsequent reaction that confirmed the "little girl" part of that statement basically confirmed it. :(

- REALLY can't stand to watch the Boltons now, didn't think the scene was entirely necessary if the intention was to show how evil they are. The non-readers get it now, I think. Sort of reconciled the scene by assuming that Sansa knew what she was getting into and that this was something she was willing to sacrifice in order to get revenge for her family. I hope that is true. Also thankful the scene chose to focus on Theon and Alfie's acting instead of the act itself. We're hoping this was a pivotal moment for both their characters and not just more pointless misery.

- Was amused to see Margaery thwarted for antagonizing Cersei earlier this season, remarking that she was "playing with fire." Also seems to think that Cersei has a plan to disarm the faith if they turn on her. She noticed that Cersei still has wine to drink despite it all and thinks they might go after her for that.

Overall enjoyed the episode even if the Winterfell stuff felt unnecessary.

Watched it with one fully Unsullied and one Shooker who has just started AFFC. Basic opinions grouped by location:

- Braavos: Arya is gonna be a real badass.
- Essos (Tyrion and Jorah): Everyone loves this duo. They are hoping for a happy reunion between Dany and Jorah, even if short-lived.
- KL: Cersei is digging herself in really deep and will soon regret pissing off Olenna. Nobody knows what Baelish is planning (which I think to be exactly what his plan is - confusing everyone, more chaos).
- Dorne: As sappy as the love story is, my Unsullied want Trystane and Myrcella to be happy. Everyone agrees that both kidnapping plots were really poorly executed.
- Winterfell: They loved Sansa pwning Myranda and were all praying for the wedding night scene to be over quickly. One of them thinks Sansa will go back to being a pawn, the other thinks she'll murder everyone with Brienne's help.

When someone got the idea that Arya was going to change her face, they got angry until I explained that the actress wouldn't be recast. They're still angry at it even being temporary though. "Why would they change her face? We like her face!"

Watched it with my GF.

Arya - at first thought they were just collecting "their heads." Took a second to understand they were using them to change faces. Didn't see why it was necessary since they just swoosh their hand in front of their fact to change.

Generally thought it was kind of boring this season and was playing on her phone till I made her stop. I had to explain a lot for it to make sense. Already told her R+L=J, and I'm sort of ruining it by constantly explaining the books to her....

Fiancée isn't going to watch any more after rape of one of her last remaining favorite characters. She asked "Who is left to root for at this point? It seems like there are only evil people and victims left on the show and I don't find that entertaining." I couldn't really give her a good answer.

I discussed the episode this morning with my friend and she had heard about how controversial the last scene was, but she didn't think it was as crazy as everyone said it was. She was upset about Sansa of course. She also told me that she finally understands Theon (until now she had no sympathy for him).

Tyrion is her favorite character but she's getting bored of his arc so far.

She also asked me (knowing I'm a book reader) to explain two senes to her:

- Why Littlefinger did what he did. I told her this doesn't happen in the books. She simply couldn't understand his motives.

- She also asked about Margaery and Loras being imprisoned because the scene didn't make sense to her. I explained to her that Margaery, who is much younger in the books and doesn't have a sexual relationship with the even younger Tommen is accused of adultery, which she admitted makes more sense.

Finally she asked me about Varys and where he is.

She felt that this was another filler episode. Se said the same thing about the last episode and she's waiting for episodes 9 and 10 for something to happen because she knows that's what happens in every season.

She also wasn't sure where Jon is going and where Stannis is going and she asked me to explain it to her.

Not trying to cater to annoyed book fans, but I've got a load of Unsullied on my facebook all claiming that they are done with the show now. I've yet to ask the opinions of my regular group.

Husband exclaims every time he sees Theon - "Why doesn't he tell her (Sansa) he didn't kill her brothers." "Tell her they are alive!" " Where is that little kid anyway" "Man up! Come on!" "Whaaaat - he gets to watch??" " Man, he should have told her...they need to kill that little prick - I hope this story makes Theon man up and do it!"

My mother was very upset about Margaery, and I find it quite funny because she like her basically since the last episode when Margaery was all "My family needs me" to Tommen. Earlier she didn't like her and was all for more conflict between two evil queens (but my mother is huge fan of Elementary and I suspect that is her reason).

Well, my sister was kind of hyper and giggly throughout the episode. Which will explain her saying things like "Doran ships it!" and how she expected Littlefinger to shoot eye lasers at Lancel. Just a warning if it gets weird.

She was in the shower, so missed Jorah finding out about his dad. I wish she wasn't, I could have used a hand to hold then. I love the old bear, minor character wise, his and Jory's were the hardest deaths to read for me.

She loved Tyrion, Jorah, and the slavers. Still giggling about "cock merchant."

She loves the Faceless Man training, she likes Arya, and I told her it's a good arc in the books as well, but the show made it better bringing Jaqen back. She's really excited to see Arya get a new face.

Loras and the Faith she wasn't paying too much attention to, though we did share a high five when Marg was arrested. I had fully expected it to just be Loras taking her place this season, so she knows that made me happy, though she's now waiting for Cersei to be arrested.

We were both waiting for Myrcella to get hit. The way the camera kept panning to her, we fully expected it. She said Trys went down too easily. But she thought they were cute until the Sand Snakes, Jaime, and Bronn showed up. The fight left both of us confused, so many camera angles. She didn't catch Bronn getting cut by Tyene, though neither of us can really tell the Sand Snakes apart.

She did question me about the wedding. She expected a lot, and said, "That's it?" So I told her northern weddings weren't big to-dos.

Once Ramsay ripped off Sansa's dress, she turned away from the tablet loudly singing "I'm so mature, lalalalala!" I told her the noises didn't make it so believable, it was Theon's face. She told me to go back and show her, so I did, and she agreed. We both had heard what would happen, but both of us think not only was it not as bad as people had made us think, but it wouldn't be so terrible if it hadn't been for Theon's expression. That just sealed it. (Not saying it's not bad, of course, but the way people were talking about it for days beforehand, we thought it would have been much, much darker and longer.)

I have seen all season 5 episodes with a group of friends (none of which have read the books), who at this point is starting to not want to see the upcoming ones on account of me making lude gestures and/or yelling when HBO deviates too much from the plot.

Their thoughts are:

-Confusion regarding Jamie and Bronn's largely uncoordinated rescue mission, stating that surely it will lead to war.

-Confusion regarding littlefingers masterplan which included abandoning his all time sweetheart, Sansa to a confirmed psychopath who enjoys recreational murder. The consensus being that there is something littlefinger is doing which has not yet been revealed.

My friend is furious after this episode because its ruined her enjoyment of another show she watches. Iwan Rheon plays Ash in Vicious and now all she sees when she looks at him is Ramsay, I on the other hand now struggle to see him as Ramsay and now only see him as the boy whom Frances de la Tour has designs on and the recipient of Sirs' Ian Mckellan and Derek Jacobi's flirting. I don't know which is better.

I watch two episodes at a time with friends which means that I have already seen the episodes at least once. My friends are not book readers of this series so occasionally I have to help them out with the plot, but they do pretty well. They are riveted by the series and since they have to take a month off they are already fearing withdrawal. They make me aware of the lavish production values that seem so real to me that they are always what I pictured in my mind when I read the books first.

They are not impressed with the new Mycella.

Although the scene with Sansa deeply shocked and appalled them, they feel that if the plot goes a certain way then it was necessary. I thought that was pretty insightful of them since when I first saw it I couldn't sleep that night. It took me two days to get to the point they got to in minutes.

Unsullied husband predicts all the slavers are going to get greyscale from Jorah (but not Tyrion, because Jorah's been careful not to touch him).

He thinks Bronn is going to kick the bucket due to a poisoned cut from Tyene (not that he knows her name). He figured since Oberyn poisoned his blade, it was a common Dornish thing.

He hopes Ramsey also dies this season, preferably by Sansa in some way.

He's intrigued by Arya's training, and clued in on the lies/truth whipping she got better than I the first viewing. (We always watch twice.)

... Although the scene with Sansa deeply shocked and appalled them, they feel that if the plot goes a certain way then it was necessary. I thought that was pretty insightful of them since when I first saw it I couldn't sleep that night. It took me two days to get to the point they got to in minutes.

Do you mind elaborating on that point? What was the insight?

Fiancée isn't going to watch any more after rape of one of her last remaining favorite characters. She asked "Who is left to root for at this point? It seems like there are only evil people and victims left on the show and I don't find that entertaining." I couldn't really give her a good answer.

That seems like a strange reason to stop watching. I had made me even more invested in the show. Everyone is a victim and all that matters is how they deal with it. They either get stronger because of it or the devolve. I think Sansa will get stronger.

I am the only book reader out of everyone I know who watches the show and opinions seem pretty varied. Sansa shocked everyone, and littlefinger's story line doesn't seem to make sense to anyone. The strongest opinions I have seen have been about how pathetic the sand snakes were. I haven't heard a single positive thing.

Archived