Dornish Disappointment

And the thing is that Dorne was surely the most hyped arc of the season. Every pre-season interview/reportage was about it. How great it was to film in Spain, how awesome the new weapons are...

Imagine what it would have been if they weren't excited about it!

I honestly hate how they are doing Dorne on the show. But then I asked my show-only friend and she said that she likes the Dornish tory and that she doesn't mind that the characters are not fully developed, so I don't know, maybe I'm overreacting. I even asked her if she understands the motives of the characters and she seemed to have a good idea of what was happening.

Oh god Bronn had me rolling in laughter (I needed it as it turned out for the freaking horror-show the episode ended with), taunting Obara after he easily handled two(!) of the fearsome "Sand Snakes".

I'm sorry...I just find it awesome that these awful stereotypes of "empowerment" turned out to be the least effective possible means of revenge. Obara losing it when Bronn taunts her was icing on the cake.

In a show where Brienne went from a noble, capable and steadfast woman who was tormented with guilt over slaying one monster to a thug eager to spill blood left and right while calling good men "monsters", this was a ray of sunshine.

I thought it was Tyene who Bronn referred to as "a little girl" (and who then promptly behaved like a spoiled little girl in a tantrum).

Why didn't Myrcella, worried for Trystane, call for help? And there are no guards in the Water Gardens, not even patrolling the entrances, with the heir to Dorne and his young fiance wandering around the place?

Why was Alexander Siddig utterly wasted in this episode? He's a great actor; quite interesting as Doran in the brief time we saw him before.

On the bright side, I really loved Areo Hotah; who seems a similarly authoritative and charismatic individual. As I've said before, I wistfully hope he'd kill at least one of the Sand Brats; but he's too good a fighter to kill one of Doran's nieces instead of defeating them even though they're disobedient twits. I'd rather have had ten minutes of Doran and Hotah playing chess then the entire fight scene.

Also, I liked the music during the attack on Myrcella.

Dorne is GofT biggest disappointment. The whole plot feels rushed.

The Sand Snakes are terrible. Myrcella/Trystane story feels like a scene from Twilight. WTF with Jaime/Bronn mission?

All the fuss for a daylight rescue mission, with poorly acted/choreographed fighting. There's a lack of Aero Hotah's badassery.

Shall we go on? I think we all feel the same.

So Jaime getting captured, that is some original thinking there. I guess he wont be able to rescue cersei in response to her letter, cause is trapped and some sort of Three's Company misunderstanding will happen

I've been trying to go into the TV version of Dorne with optimism up until now, but by episode 506 I can say that I think I'm a bit disappointed with it. I'm not very impressed with how they've portrayed the Sand Snakes so far. They resemble the Three Stooges more than the competent war machines they were built up to be. Even Jaime and Bronn's arc has been underwhelming for me. I felt it was a bit contrived that they just happened to arrive at the exact right time, right down to the minute, to intervene in the sand snakes' plot. Anyone else feeling slight disappointment here?

On a side note. I think that was Tyene that sliced Bronn. She's the poison expert like her father. Could this be the end for Bronn?

Hmmm...it's tempting to say 'yes', but no there's something wrong here. That nick that Tyene gave was just way too obvious. Plus, it wouldn't make sense.

Why use a slow-acting poison when you are on a high-speed hostage taking mission? They obviously needed Myrcella alive (if only just to dismember her later) or they would have just killed her instead of kidnapping her. If there was poison it most likely would have been very fast-acting or at least made him dizzy.

Plus, if Tyene had poisoned him, I don't see a shrieking grasping at Bronn to be the right response, but rather smug laughter or something.

But who knows, the way that the show is just throwing things in the mix, Bronn might start to get sick or something after all. It would be the sort of irony we see happen all the time in the show. Born the great undefeatable fighter, cut down by some unseen poison.

Speaking of Bronn: It was a little weird to see him throw down his sword when commanded, but I was glad they at least had him throw it down waaaaaaayyyyy after he was commanded to like some sort of badass.

Way to defy authority, bruh.

I've assumed since the casting was announced that the writers wanted to build up the Sand Snakes, given their presumptive roles in the KL plot, etc., in the following season. With that in mind, I've found this season baffling so far. The only Sand Snake who's gotten anything like characterization is Obara, the only one of the three who isn't bound for KL -- Nym and Tyene have said, what, a sentence apiece?

I'm dying at the mental image of bronn digging himself out with his chin. He has always been a survivor, I guess.

Dorne is taking its sweet time getting wherever it is going. One of the snakes got away with mycella, right?

Maybe she mail's her ear back to cersei instead of it getting cut off by darkstar.

On the bright side, I really loved Areo Hotah; who seems a similarly authoritative and charismatic individual. As I've said before, I wistfully hope he'd kill at least one of the Sand Brats; but he's too good a fighter to kill one of Doran's nieces instead of defeating them even though they're disobedient twits. I'd rather have had ten minutes of Doran and Hotah playing chess then the entire fight scene.

Ditto.

There was the one thing i absolutely loved and that was Areo.

I really loved that line to Jamie, almost wishing he was whole so he could kill him honorably.

It's lazy writing. The four women closest to Oberyn are straight up villains who want to torture and mutilate an innocent girl. It makes no sense given how this man was presented last season. But this is a result of the writer's unwillingness to develop the political plot of crowning Myrcella.

In a show where Brienne went from a noble, capable and steadfast woman who was tormented with guilt over slaying one monster to a thug eager to spill blood left and right while calling good men "monsters", this was a ray of sunshine.

Calling Show Brienne a thug is beyond ridiculous. Is every warrior who kills to defend themselves, protect the innocent, or avenge the dead a “thug”?

Archived