Dornish Disappointment

I don't know how much Arianne would have improved Dorne, but clearly, having 3 sand snakes, the show hasn't been able to give them any personalities they are three cartoonish warrior women and that is jarring for a show that tries to stay away from camp.

There isn't much story there and what story there is doesn't make much sense. They want revenge and want to kill Mrycella, okay, that's sort of stupid, but let's roll with it. Jamie's mission is unbelievably stupid. One sellsword and a guy who can't fight?

Everyone arriving at the same time was bad for even a B movie.

And what happened to Myrcella's kingsguard? Yes, I know this is a detail that 90% of viewers don't remember, but the SHOW should remember. The show should not forget/blow off that she sailed to Dorne with a kingsguard, he should still be there.

Perhaps that would even have made a better plot. Jamie and Bronn make contact with the kingsguard, who lets them in....

The whole thing is a total mess of stupidity, lack of characterization, bad acting, and bad dialogue.

And as I have complained on the rant and rave threads, what in the hell happened to Indira Varma's long hair from last year? Again, this is something the show should pay attention to. Why did she have long hair last year and now it's short? If there is some meaning to it, let the audience know, otherwise it just appears as a lame continuity error.

Like much of the rest of the show this season, the events in Dorne speak to a lack of precision and care from the show runners. You are absolutely right: viewers don't need to remember that a kingsguard went with Myrcella, but the show absolutely should. It seems like that internal continuity is a low priority.

I don't know how much Arianne would have improved Dorne, but clearly, having 3 sand snakes, the show hasn't been able to give them any personalities they are three cartoonish warrior women and that is jarring for a show that tries to stay away from camp.

There isn't much story there and what story there is doesn't make much sense. They want revenge and want to kill Mrycella, okay, that's sort of stupid, but let's roll with it. Jamie's mission is unbelievably stupid. One sellsword and a guy who can't fight?

Everyone arriving at the same time was bad for even a B movie.

And what happened to Myrcella's kingsguard? Yes, I know this is a detail that 90% of viewers don't remember, but the SHOW should remember. The show should not forget/blow off that she sailed to Dorne with a kingsguard, he should still be there.

Perhaps that would even have made a better plot. Jamie and Bronn make contact with the kingsguard, who lets them in....

The whole thing is a total mess of stupidity, lack of characterization, bad acting, and bad dialogue.

And as I have complained on the rant and rave threads, what in the hell happened to Indira Varma's long hair from last year? Again, this is something the show should pay attention to. Why did she have long hair last year and now it's short? If there is some meaning to it, let the audience know, otherwise it just appears as a lame continuity error.

I agree with everything you said, but Varma's hair is getting a bit knit picky. People get hair cuts - both characters in the world of Planetos and actresses who play them on TV.

I agree with everything you said, but Varma's hair is getting a bit knit picky. People get hair cuts - both characters in the world of Planetos and actresses who play them on TV.

Then why give marge a wig this season, what with her shaved head from hunger games?

And Jamie should have been bested by the other Sand Snake he was fighting. He has one hand, his left hand! He hasn't been training with it long at all. He only beat the Dornishman in the episode previously because of dumb luck with his golden hand catching the sword, but you're telling me he could evenly match Oberyn's daughter? She should have knocked him into the dust.

My unsullied husband said he thought the SS were supposed to be young(ish) girls and were probably nervous in a real fight with people as experienced as Jaime and Bronn so that's why they were holding back / shying away / playing it safe. They haven't exactly developed into their character the way they did in the books so from that POV I guess it makes more sense. They were just nervous or scared. I mean, just because Oberyn is their father doesn't automatically mean they will be skilled fighters. Lots of fathers have skills their children didn't inherit.

I thought Varma's hair was a conscious decision on the show, a physical manifestation of the deep changes she's gone through since loosing her beloved.

Based on what? That would be interesting if the show gave any indication of such a reason, or as some have suggested it's a sign of mourning, but there is no explanation at all given. She had very long hair and now she has very short hair. It's totally lame.

"Based on what? That would be interesting if the show gave any indication of such a reason, or as some have suggested it's a sign of mourning, but there is no explanation at all given. She had very long hair and now she has very short hair. It's totally lame."

So, in every superhero movie... when the villain is informed that Captain Justice has thwarted his plans and he angrily flips a table over... are you confused, 'Why doesn't he like that table? It looks like a perfectly fine table... He obviously picked it out himself. Lame....'

"Based on what? That would be interesting if the show gave any indication of such a reason, or as some have suggested it's a sign of mourning, but there is no explanation at all given. She had very long hair and now she has very short hair. It's totally lame."

So, in every superhero movie... when the villain is informed that Captain Justice has thwarted his plans and he angrily flips a table over... are you confused, 'Why doesn't he like that table? It looks like a perfectly fine table... He obviously picked it out himself. Lame....'

Um, there is cause and effect there. The villain is informed of something, gets mad, flips table, it's an immediate reaction, I mean, I don't want to be insulting, but I fail to see what this has to do with a woman who ends one season with long hair and now has short hair in a middle ages world where everyone has long hair with few exceptions.

It would be like if Osha came back a blonde or she had 4 feet of curly hair. Or next season Lena sports a bob with no explanation. It's fucking stupid and lazy filming.

There was nothing in between.

Not to mention Myrcella Lollys Lannister

This is perfect :rofl:

I thought Myrcella winning Cyvasse would be a sign she would be good at 'playing' the game of at least understanding it. In the show she seems to be just a pretty face. I mean, we are more than halfway through the season and she's only had like 3 lines.

"Um, there is cause and effect there. The villain is informed of something, gets mad, flips table, it's an immediate reaction, I mean, I don't want to be insulting, but I fail to see what this has to do with a woman who ends one season with long hair and now has short hair in a middle ages world where everyone has long hair with few exceptions."

You do realize that while nine months have passed in our time, this season is pretty much a direct continuation from last season. Oberon's death is still relatively fresh. Moreover this is a small character trait that fits into the well-worn trope of cutting one's hair as a sign of profound change. I guess I just fail to see your point... Did you want a thirty second scene of Ellaria staring into camera while cutting her hair and saying to no one in particular, "I'm soooooo angry... I'm so broken.... I guess that is why I'm cutting my hair!"

Unfortunately, Yoren isn't around any more. Otherwise, he coulda come in... cut her hair... and shouted in a gruff voice why it was happening. Just like he did for Arya.

Edit: Why aren't you upset about Lancel's pretty blonde locks?

My wife came home from work just before the Dornish scene started. She doesn't watch it normally as GoT isn't her thing, but she sat through that scene and watched it with me. I had to apologise to her, it was that bad. She now thinks the whole show is that badly acted.

What was really irritating, other than the ridiculous scenario of everyone converging in an empty square at exactly the same time, or even two strangers having easy access to Trystan and Myrcella, was that the previous episode attmepted to make out the sand snakes as at least competent fighters. Even with the element of surprise and the numbers, they barely even hurt a one armed man and his sell sword.

Trying to imagine one of these girls sitting on the small council just isn't conceivable at the moment. No-one would buy it.

My wife came home from work just before the Dornish scene started. She doesn't watch it normally as GoT isn't her thing, but she sat through that scene and watched it with me. I had to apologise to her, it was that bad. She now thinks the whole show is that badly acted.

What was really irritating, other than the ridiculous scenario of everyone converging in an empty square at exactly the same time, or even two strangers having easy access to Trystan and Myrcella, was that the previous episode attmepted to make out the sand snakes as at least competent fighters. Even with the element of surprise and the numbers, they barely even hurt a one armed man and his sell sword.

Trying to imagine one of these girls sitting on the small council just isn't conceivable at the moment. No-one would buy it.

There was a comment on Youtube which said something along the lines of "what's-her-face 360 no-scoped a head on the ground several feet away with her spear, but couldn't land a single blow on a one-handed dude." I chuckled.

I'll be disappointed if Bronn dies after that.

Initially they were 7 Sand Snakes, but 3 died just to put that poor merchant's head in the sand, so this basically explain why they could not do shit to a protagonist like Jaime.

"Initially they were 7 Sand Snakes, but 3 died just to put that poor merchant's head in the sand, so this basically explain why they could not do shit to a protagonist like Jaime."

I maintain that Doran should have had a fMyrcella. (After Ellaria's clear threat he's kind of a moron not to take precautions.)

The Sand Snakes should have been like twenty women and men. (Oberon got down)

The Sand Snakes should have attacked first.... rushed in and killed fMyrcella but should have lost a lot of their number in this manner and the rest throw down their weapons, thinking they have won . (Shows that they are actual bad-asses instead of spending time telling us.)

Bron and Jamie arrive later, shocked and horrified... until Jamie discovers that the girl killed was NOT Myrcella (Paying off the part about how it had to him.)

Bron and Jamie approach Doran, to try and find the real Myrcella and are captured.

Doran makes an awesome speech to the sand snakes and Jamie about his plan to put Myrcella on the throne.

Oh.... and it _IS_ a water garden, so add water.

So Jaime getting captured, that is some original thinking there. I guess he wont be able to rescue cersei in response to her letter, cause is trapped and some sort of Three's Company misunderstanding will happen

Oh good, because him not rescuing Cersei because of a huge character moment that advances his arc tremendously is dumb. Glad they might go this route instead :mellow:

(However, I should say that I don't think this is necessarily how they're going to play it off. I still have hopes he will actively reject helping her. Why? Call me naive).

Regrettably, I agree that the Sand Snakes are just awful. I still had hope going into this episode, but that's gone by the wayside. Dorne has been the weakest storyline of the entire series. I liked Ellaria in the previous season, but her transformation into the leader of the Darkstar Sisterhood is beyond ridiculous. It also makes zero sense that the Sand Snakes would want Mercella dead, when it'd be far easier to start a war by crowning her. They want revenge for Oberyn, but didn't know he believed in a Dorne that "does not hurt little girls." Justice for his sister's death was his entire aspiration.

Worse off, the character exposition of the Sand Bunnies has been atrocious. Has anyone else noticed that Obara has now announced herself to an audience of people that should know exactly who she is, and her entire upbringing, twice now. If this trend continues, she can next explain to Doran, "I'm Obara Sand, daughter of your brother, trained in spear-fighting, niece to you, fighting for Dornish pride! How can you, my uncle, imprison me, your niece, in Dorne, the most Southern country in all of Westeros?" Good-riddance.

Seriously, no other character in the entire series introduces them-self this way. What happened? The writers for Obara and friends didn't just drop the ball, they are burying it.

Love everything you said, and the bold had me laughing out loud!

The fact that their location on the map in the credits is generic city (is that meant to be Sunspear, or the Water Gardens?!) of "Dorne" kind of says it all.

It's laughably bad. Three of the greatest fighters in Dorne, supposedly, against a sellsword and a guy without a sword hand?! Both of them trying to kidnap Myrcella in broad daylight, in the middle of a giant courtyard in plain sight of the Prince of Dorne? Yeah, brilliant plan. Ellaria Sand just... nope, I can't.

Not to mention Myrcella Lollys Lannister... "oh no my fiancé kissed other girls before he knew I existed, what if they were prettier than me? wahwahwahwah...." Myrcella is a character I really like in the books. oh well, RIP Myrcella along with Dolorous Edd, Ellaria, Aegon, Barristan, Missandei, Mance, Myranda Royce...

Why is everything in the Water Gardens? I get it's a gorgeous World Heritage site they are extremely lucky to be filming on, but I don't see the need to have all of the Dornish action taking place there. A Sunspear set to even it out would have been great.

Myrcella Lollys!!!!!! :lmao: She did seem rather...dim...didn't she??

I could be wrong, but I think part of the reason why Dorne sucks is because of the gardens. I seem to remember than in those "a day in the life" videos, they mentioned that they only had a relatively short period of time to shoot in the gardens, so that explains why the whole thing looks horribly rushed.

Also, yeah, the gardens are nice and all, but why did they decide to make that the only place in Dorne? That's why they had to shoot that lousy Obara monologue in a freaking beach in Northern Ireland.

Completely agree. I don't understand why they felt compelled to have every scene shot here (or at least, the fight scene). Especially if they didn't have a lot of time to shoot. It would have been wonderful to have Sunspear in a location they could take their time in. Ellaria and Sand Fakes could have been at Sunspear doing their evul plan. They could have explained it and planned it out as Doran, Myrcella, Trystane were at the Water Gardens. When they get back, Myrcella is attacked. This explains away the weird reason why Doran didn't just immediately arrest Ellaria and the Sand Fakes when she told him of their plan (since she didn't go and tell him her plan to begin with - she did it all without his knowledge). It then could have allowed time for the fight scene to be perfected.

Where Jaime and Bronn would come in during this scenario, no idea. Maybe they try to get into the Water Gardens, Hotah arrests them, Doran et al. decide it's not safe in the Water Gardens, so they go to Sunspear with Jaime and Bronn in tow as prisoners, where they are then attacked by Ellaria and co. once arriving at Sunspear. But then we wouldn't get the fascinating and tense fight between the Sand Fakes, Bronn, and Jaime, so nevermind, scratch all of that :rolleyes:

Um, there is cause and effect there. The villain is informed of something, gets mad, flips table, it's an immediate reaction, I mean, I don't want to be insulting, but I fail to see what this has to do with a woman who ends one season with long hair and now has short hair in a middle ages world where everyone has long hair with few exceptions.

It would be like if Osha came back a blonde or she had 4 feet of curly hair. Or next season Lena sports a bob with no explanation. It's fucking stupid and lazy filming.

There was nothing in between.

It does seem nitpicky, but I agree. Mostly because it was jarring and it looks far too modern.

I'm thinking: why the hell one of the Sand Snakes tries to run with Myrcella? Why didn't she just stabbed the princess? It wasn't the whole point of her plan? And if the idea was to take Myrcella to Ellaria so she can hill the Lannister (as she is obviously the great mind behind this scam) and so she could not just kill the girl, upon realizing the ship is sinking when all of them are discovered by the guards, would not be logic for her to, finally, kill Myrcella?

Everytime I think about it, it all turns out to an idea even more stupid.

Archived