Dornish Disappointment

I didn't like the Dorne stuff. Then again, I didn't like Dorne in the books. The whole plot has been very cheesy, but I'll excuse it for the excellent plotting up North with everyone up there.

I'm guessing where they're going with this is that Myrcella will be pronounced Queen (as in Dornish tradition) and Trystane therefore King and they'll march North taking the Stormlands. This covers Aegon's storyline and is actually much more interesting- possibly pitting Myrcella against her brother and mother.

Yikes. They seem too caught up in the bells and whistles...ooh, Seville, ooh Moorish palace that they've forgotten about the nuts and bolts of filming, and so we got a terrible scene filmed in a gorgeous location.

It's no different than the whole shooting in Iceland thing that ended up being expensive and a disaster for actors performances.

D&D are really no better at show running than they are at writing, they make all kind of mistakes in resource allocation, such as the 600+ unique faces that I brought up earlier, That's how many man hours of artists work for a scene that lasted 2 minutes?

they are grown women in the books but the books and the show are not the same (unfortunately). He got the impression they were meant to be younger, like myrcellas age, since oberyn is about cersei's age.

Are we sure they didn't know who they were until after the fight? Who knows how long they were there, maybe they heard myrcella call him "uncle Jaime".

You can tell just by looking at them they're meant to be older than Myrcella. Oberyn could have started having children sooner than Cersei. I think even in the books they're close in age.

If they did know, then that just shows how terrible the writing was this episode because it wasn't clear at all.

It was sooooo cheesy for Areo simply ordering everyone to drop their weapons. Imagine how cool it would be if there was no surrender and Areo actually defeated the Powerpuff Snakesone by ony until reaching Jaime. Then Bronn blocks his axe and both fight briefly before Areo cut Bronn's head off. That would be rather interesting to watch. I mean, after Doran's dialogue with Areo abou remembering how to use the axe I was fool enough to bellieve he would actually use the axe, but no, it was just a line without a meaning.

Based on what? That would be interesting if the show gave any indication of such a reason, or as some have suggested it's a sign of mourning, but there is no explanation at all given. She had very long hair and now she has very short hair. It's totally lame.

Lancel had very long hair and now has really short hair. Jaime got a haircut after he got back to KL, no explanations...are these haircuts lame as well?

It's no different than the whole shooting in Iceland thing that ended up being expensive and a disaster for actors performances.

D&D are really no better at show running than they are at writing, they make all kind of mistakes in resource allocation, such as the 600+ unique faces that I brought up earlier, That's how many man hours of artists work for a scene that lasted 2 minutes?

What's the story on this? I don't follow the production at all so I miss these tidbits.

Would you mind to elaborate more about this iceland and this 600 unique faces thing?? Thank you

What's the story on this? I don't follow the production at all so I miss these tidbits.

Would you mind to elaborate more about this iceland and this 600 unique faces thing?? Thank you

Well, the Icelandic filming was heavily problematic logistically. They only had 4 hours of daylight to shoot, getting their shooting equipment through the snow was a nightmore, and the cast were often so cold that they had no energy in their performances. Many people felt that contributed to the lackluster beyond the wall sections of season 2 and 3.

As for the 600 unique faces, watch the video on the gameofthrones youtube channel on this episode, they made over 600 unique faces all hand painted for the hall of faces scene, which in my opinion is a complete overkill. 30-40 would have sufficed. Stuff like this is where the budget is going, instead of giving up actors for Manderly or more shots of Ghost, their are spending their resources on things that don't matter.

I've found the audition transcript for a scene which might be in the next episode, if anyone is interested.

Warning majorly spoilery re. Bronn's fate

Tyene: He has a good voice.

Obara: He's a singer, if he was a fighter we might've been in trouble.

Bronn: It's against my code to hurt women.

Obara: It's amazing how many men we beat seem to have this code.

Bronn: I wouldn't say you beat me.

Tyene: And how is your arm?

Bronn: Wonderful. Wouldn't feel right to leave Dorne without a new scar.

Obara: You think you're leaving Dorne?

Bronn: No great hurry. Dornish women are the most beautiful in the world.

Tyene: Thank you.

Bronn: I said Dornish women, I didn't say you.

Tyene: I'm not the most beautiful woman you have ever seen?

Bronn: I've seen quite a few women in all the Seven Kingdoms.

Tyene: Tell me one woman more beautiful than I am.

Bronn: Well, now in King's Landing there was an absolute...

Tyene: There was a what? In King's Landing you were saying...

Bronn: Was I?

Tyene: ...there is a woman more beautiful than I am.

Bronn: Was there? My memory's not what it was earlier.

Tyene: And how is your arm now.

Bronn: You seem concerned with it. You must really like me.

Tyene: And how is your head?

Bronn: My head? You don't even want to know what's going on in there.

Tyene: What was that, are you sure you're feeling alright?

Bronn: Sure, a bit woozy but that's to be expected after a good dust-up.

Tyene: Your nose is bleeding.

Bronn: It's not it's the dry air.

Tyene: My dagger was coated with a special ointment from Asshai. It's called the Long Farewell. It can take some time to work some times several days. But if one single drop makes contact with the skin...death.

Tyene: The only antidote. Who is the most beautiful woman in the world? Who? Who, sorry?

Bronn: You.

She takes whatever the antidote it is from or off of her necklace and gives it to him.

Tyene: Don't drop it. I think you're very handsome as well.

She blows him a kiss and laughs.

Things are looking up I'd say.

Good Lord.

What is this? Wtf?!

This is such a pathetic dialogue.

She suddenly loves him? O_o

Please tell me you were just trolling D&D

Btw, I'm not one of those hotheaded Sansa scene opposers. I just feel quality of some dialogues are very good(J&T) and some dialogues like this is absolutely unbearable.

I'm guessing where they're going with this is that Myrcella will be pronounced Queen (as in Dornish tradition) and Trystane therefore King and they'll march North taking the Stormlands. This covers Aegon's storyline and is actually much more interesting- possibly pitting Myrcella against her brother and mother.

Hmm.. I guess that makes sense. Then there will be no 'fire and blood' speech :dunno: another Dornish disappointment imo especially since I like the Doran actor.

Good point. I had blocked out Iceland and how it affected everyone's performance and what a waste of time and money it was for a handful of panoramic background shots they could have flown the crew up for.

LOL I didn't realize they spent that much on the faces, good lord.

Yes, they are terrible at resource allocation and prioritization. I understand that HBOs 'hands off' policy has worked very well for them, but it's really a shame that they haven't demanded someone who has some experience is there to reign in some of their stupider impulses.

Archived