Dornish Disappointment

Is anyone else disappointed by Areo Hotah? The characterization seems a bit off, not least because the missing character of Arianne removes his fatherly affection for her, and there's that awesome line: "Someone talked. Someone always talks."

Also I kind of pictured Hotah given his description as a grizzled, bearded Jeff Bridges type. A gruff face with a lot of compassion in the eyes.

I picture him like this:

http://onelessrobot.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/cameraAxe.jpg

Is anyone else disappointed by Areo Hotah? The characterization seems a bit off, not least because the missing character of Arianne removes his fatherly affection for her, and there's that awesome line: "Someone talked. Someone always talks."

Also I kind of pictured Hotah given his description as a grizzled, bearded Jeff Bridges type. A gruff face with a lot of compassion in the eyes.

I don't know, I think that Hotah and Doran are the two best characters in Dorne on the show. Each have had barely anything to do yet though.

On Dorne in this episode:

The fight scene had way too many cuts in it. You couldn't tell what was going on half of the time. If they slowed it down a bit it would've been a lot better. But the whole Dorne storyline overall seems really rushed and there doesn't seem to be much substance there. They should've just left it out if they were going to do it this way in my opinion. Maybe they can save it by the end of the season, but I don't really know.

I actually liked TV-Hotah much better than book-Hotah. His relationship with Doran seems understated but real; and I find Hotah charismatic. I'd much rather see more of him and Doran and less of vengeance-maddened Ellaria & Sand Brats & Silly Young Lovers Trystane & Myrcella.

No more rant and rave thread? On the subject of disappointments in Dorne, did anybody else notice the split second color adjust when Tyene leaps up? Bronn kicks her, she falls back, springs back up, then the color of the scene changes slightly. I would not expect such an amateur editing bug in a show of this caliber.

the ice in the cake for me was: -Areo Hotah move with his weapon, it was so freakin slow... I was like "what just happen?"... I could kill him with a fork, that was how slow it was...

:agree:

Possibly because they spent 1000s of $ on ruby studded, engraved axe with weight of about 8 kg with a sharp blade.

The wouldnt risk Nikolaj's neck, so he had to do it slowly.

A clever fast forward editing would have helped.

Good Guy Garlan - Me as well. I've always seen Hotah in his POVs as a kind of flatly objective human surveillance camera. He's the single character from the books they wouldn't be able to ruin; all they had to do was cast a big muscular guy and have him stand in place.

I've been trying to go into the TV version of Dorne with optimism up until now, but by episode 506 I can say that I think I'm a bit disappointed with it. I'm not very impressed with how they've portrayed the Sand Snakes so far. They resemble the Three Stooges more than the competent war machines they were built up to be. Even Jaime and Bronn's arc has been underwhelming for me. I felt it was a bit contrived that they just happened to arrive at the exact right time, right down to the minute, to intervene in the sand snakes' plot. Anyone else feeling slight disappointment here?

On a side note. I think that was Tyene that sliced Bronn. She's the poison expert like her father. Could this be the end for Bronn?

To be honest i think that given the meager premises, the scene was as satisfying as it could have ever gotten.

That means, they pulled a just ugly scene out of a terrible start. It was an improvement over the possibilities.

Also, Bronn, i hope he is also taking the role of Darkstar and survive/escape to come back later (see other threads where this was suggested).

Doran is great casting, but he suffer as much as other characters from bad adaptation choices. Whole book Dorne consisted of three type of scenes, two of them were about Doran:

1. Doran dealing with SS - replaced by barely 2 minutes long scene with Ellaria, which ruined Ellaria character and prevented proper SS introduction

2. Doran dealing with Arianne - cut completly

3. Arianne´s Queenmaker plot - cut almost completly, replaced with very badly executed Kill the Princess plot

His short dialogue with Areo can not do his character justice, because similarly to Ellaria/SS scene on the beach, there is no conflict. You can bash SS as you want, but in the books they have important function for Doran´s (and Arianne´s) character.

Hopenfully now with all characters in the right places we can get proper dialogues between characters with different agendas, but its ridiculous it did not happen until now. Littlefinger can time travel across Westeros for plot purposes all the time, but Jaime, SS, Trystane (yeah lets not forget his son and heir to Dorne) will have the first chance to interact with Doran only in the episode 7. They wasted an opportunity to do it in the slow first half of the season. You can bet it will be rushed now towards end of the season when the big events will happen.

No more rant and rave thread? On the subject of disappointments in Dorne, did anybody else notice the split second color adjust when Tyene leaps up? Bronn kicks her, she falls back, springs back up, then the color of the scene changes slightly. I would not expect such an amateur editing bug in a show of this caliber.

It was not a color adjust I think. They speed up the footage the moment she reaches the ground as to make her seem more agile when she jumps back into action. You can see how unnatural are Bronn's moves in this moment as he is in the same frame.

Is her jumping back up just the footage of her falling down played in reverse?

No, I don't think so. The moves are pretty different and the whole take is moving forward as I can see. It's just the speed that was messed with, not the direction.

Good Guy Garlan - Me as well. I've always seen Hotah in his POVs as a kind of flatly objective human surveillance camera. He's the single character from the books they wouldn't be able to ruin; all they had to do was cast a big muscular guy and have him stand in place.

You man of little faith... just wait... they will be able to ruin him too :lol:

Well, they already ruined him by giving him a personality :P

They already ruined him by taking away his great moment in a fight, specially when the writers made Doran have a conversation with Areo about his skills... so frustrating.

People hate Obara the most but I think it's actually Tyene who is the worst. Durin her whole fight the way she was awkwardly jumping with her daggers was hilarious, not only in the gif. And the way she attacked Bronn in the end for calling her "a little girl" was just facepalm-worthy.

Archived