[BOOK and SHOW SPOILERS] So what is Littlefinger's game now?

The trouble is he doesn't have a game. His game is to keep on paddling and pretend he has a game amidst the changes that crossed over his book game. It feels like the show writers forgot about him and adjusted his 'game' to the plot changes they made (which would be fine if they managed to make it believable, but sadly it's not believable anymore). He used to be the dude will all the informal power pulling the strings. Now he is that dude who used to pull the strings and now he's just there.

I have a bigger slightly crackpot theory on LF in the show atleast. He has been using the line " I live to serve" too often and we see Jaqen H'gar saying the same about Faceless men,even in this episode. I can't help but connect these two things together.

Well, his family is from Braavos and there everyone seems to use the term.

Littlefinger made a rather public trip to Winterfell with Sansa. All the lords of the Vale know who Sansa is. Everyone who was at the Inn when Brienne confronted Littlefinger and Sansa knows who she is. There is a bounty on both Tyrion and Sansa's heads you would expect someone to try and collect. Qyburn must have the most inept spy system ever as this should be rather public information.

We also have to believe that Roose Bolton would value a figure head wedding of Sansa to be worth more than his alliance with the Lannisters. An alliance which is the only reason he is Warden of the North in the first place. So even if he believes the Lannisters or Tyrells aren't going to come north to help him defeat their largest threat in Stannis, that doesn't mean creating an enemy from the north and south would be worth the slim chance that this marriage will placate the northern lords who don't even have a role on the show.

Littlefinger made a rather public trip to Winterfell with Sansa. All the lords of the Vale know who Sansa is. Everyone who was at the Inn when Brienne confronted Littlefinger and Sansa knows who she is. There is a bounty on both Tyrion and Sansa's heads you would expect someone to try and collect. Qyburn must have the most inept spy system ever as this should be rather public information.

I think that's actually part of the point. I doubt Qyburn has a spy network at all. He's a necromancer, not a spy, and part of Cersei's downfall is putting men like him on the small council. He could have easily experimented on Ser Gregor without needing to be named Master of Whisperers.

I also think that it's no coincidence that Olyvar confesses when LF gets to KL with no signs of coercion. LF has the Boltons and Baratheons fighting in the north and the Tyrells and Lanisters fighting in the south. This is just a continuation of his war and we've reached the semi-finals. I bet the wars won't end until Dany is on the horizon and he just invites her over to finish the stragglers off.

I think Littlefinger's overall game has always been to sit on the Throne or die trying. The story begins for us at the point where he has knocked over the first domino in the chain he spent decades setting up, with the murder of Arryn and the frame job that started the war.

Right now he is perfectly positioned to take advantage of whatever happens at this next pivotal moment, at least as far as the military/alliance/treachery angle goes. He's keeping his lies going and his diplomatic options open as long as possible. He's poised on the verge of controlling a massive chunk of Westeros.

Thing is, I don't think all his master chessplaying is going to stand up to stuff like dragons and all the things Winter brings...

Remember many times in the first few books, we were told by Lysa and Robin Arryn that the Eyrie is impregnable. Pretty much hitting the reader over the head with the foreshadowing that The Eyrie will be very “pregnable” to flying dragons and their flaming breath, or zombie/ghoul white walkers and The Others. Perhaps that is how Littlefinger or Sansa meet their demise – thinking they are safe, only to be subjected to death by Fire or Ice.

As concerns the books, my guess is that Littlefinger's scheme comes off, at least for a little while. Sansa wins Harry over, they march on the North, and they defeat whatever remnant remains after Stannis and the Boltons finish decimating one another. Littlefinger's ultimate intention is probably to assassinate Harry once Sansa is pregnant, perhaps with Lyn Corbray as the cat's paw. That part of the scheme, of course, will not work.

The show seems to be working towards the same conclusion, albeit, without Harry, or rather, by making Ramsay into an amalgamation of the role. The showrunners basically decided to consolidate by having Sansa join the Northern storyline earlier in the proceedings and have the rise of the Vale occur off-screen.

In show canon, at least, even if Cersei did find out about Littlefinger's complicity, if he's up north with Sansa, there's nothing she can do about it. Roose told Ramsay that the Lannisters won't send their forces that far north, and if they can't enforce their decrees, they're essentially powerless up north. Cersei can rant and fume all she likes about wanting Sansa's head on a spike, but if Sansa's at Winterfell, she can do nothing whatsoever to make that wish a reality except put a bounty on her head, and a bounty hunter trying to whisk Sansa Stark away on her own turf as the Lady of Winterfell has their work cut out for them.

Cersei could also hire a Faceless Man to assassinate Sansa and/or Littlefinger. Then, of course, the Faceless Man turns out to be Arya Stark. ;)

Cersei could also hire a Faceless Man to assassinate Sansa and/or Littlefinger. Then, of course, the Faceless Man turns out to be Arya Stark. ;)

Cersei would never be willing to pay the price required of her by the Faceless Men for such an assignment, which would be decidedly steep.

As concerns the books, my guess is that Littlefinger's scheme comes off, at least for a little while. Sansa wins Harry over, they march on the North, and they defeat whatever remnant remains after Stannis and the Boltons finish decimating one another. Littlefinger's ultimate intention is probably to assassinate Harry once Sansa is pregnant, perhaps with Lyn Corbray as the cat's paw. That part of the scheme, of course, will not work.

The show seems to be working towards the same conclusion, albeit, without Harry, or rather, by making Ramsay into an amalgamation of the role. The showrunners basically decided to consolidate by having Sansa join the Northern storyline earlier in the proceedings and have the rise of the Vale occur off-screen.

That sound plausible and it also explains how TV Littlefinger is coming over as a complete idiot.

That sound plausible and it also explains how TV Littlefinger is coming over as a complete idiot.

Well, that is the thing about the television writers taking shortcuts to get Sansa to the North sooner. Sacrifices had to be made, one of which was making TV Littlefinger into a complete idiot.

I dont think Qyburn has a well developed spy network either, but even if he did, what makes us think he is so loyal to Cersei? he might be playing her for all we know. He seems to be smart enough to see Cersei's rule will not last forever, to save his own skin (or other personal interest) he might be setting her up.

Littlefinger is playing the same game he's always been playing. His first order of business was revenge on the Tullys and Starks. That's mostly done now. Next he wants to run the whole damn country. He's going to continue to lie to everyone and play all the players off of each other until he comes out on top or dies trying.

Now, I'm still willing to see what LF does for the rest of the season, right now my biggest problem would be the knights of the Vale.

How large a standing army does the Vale have? Their knights haven't exactly come across as a force to be reckoned with so far.

I also think that it's no coincidence that Olyvar confesses when LF gets to KL with no signs of coercion. LF has the Boltons and Baratheons fighting in the north and the Tyrells and Lanisters fighting in the south. This is just a continuation of his war and we've reached the semi-finals. I bet the wars won't end until Dany is on the horizon and he just invites her over to finish the stragglers off.

:thumbsup:

And I don't believe a thing he says to Cersei. He told them about Tyrell plan to marry Sansa to Willas and then he himself sneaked Sansa off.

I think he is gonna have a big role in Cersei's downfall this season.

By the end of season, the Lannisters will be a done deal, and Roose or Stannis will suffer heavy defeat, Sansa will hopefully be alive. I don't think LF has a definite plan yet, but will make one as he goes.

They are making him worse all the time. He is moving in the spectrum of Machiavelli to the this week's villain on the old Hunter series....... or maybe I should say Scooby Doo villain if that is too dated for some. Can't wait until he says Winterfell would have been mine if it weren't for you meddling kids.

The key to the Warden of the North was to Marry off Sansa or perhaps himself when the time was right. It would have been better to keep her hidden away. She is even more useless now after teilling Cersei because TV Sansa is really guilty in Joffrey's death because they linked the neckless to her in the court.

The majority of time when making a deal LF is explaining why he is gonna screw over the last guy he had a deal with. They have always overplayed him as crazy evil. He always talks with gritted teeth and gravelly voice. Really who would trust this guy for anything ot let him hold post of responsibility

I dont think Qyburn has a well developed spy network either, but even if he did, what makes us think he is so loyal to Cersei? he might be playing her for all we know. He seems to be smart enough to see Cersei's rule will not last forever, to save his own skin (or other personal interest) he might be setting her up.

It actually just occurred to me that he technically works for Littlefinger, as Un-maester of Harrenhal, though he's probably never met him.

Archived