[BOOK and SHOW SPOILERS] So what is Littlefinger's game now?

The big flaw in Littlefinger's plan is that he's assuming Sansa will fall into his arms when he rescues her from an unwanted marriage. I'm guessing that he'll find her less than grateful that he persuaded her to marry an abusive psychopath and more than skeptical of his claim that he didn't know about Ramsay. The other big flaw in Littlefinger's plan is that he's assuming Sansa is the last of the Starks, which she isn't.

Yes. I think he underestimates Sansa and he has no idea that Bran is out there turning into a near-omniscient demigod thing who can see everything he's done.

I think the walk of shame is going to be rewritten.

Cersei is going to be forced to walk naked by the King himself, because she empowered the fanatics to imprison his wife.

And I do think that The Faith is going to be destroyed in episode 8, because for this ep. it is said "Cersei struggles".

It's been made clear in the show that if Tommen but gives the word, the Faith Militant will be smashed. Twice, now, he's been reluctant to give that order and cause bloodshed, first in 5x04 on the steps of the Sept, and most recently in 5x06, where he stayed the Kingsguard soldiers who were about to draw their swords. However, if events take a turn, maybe Tommen gives the order he's been loath to give so far.

Why would knights of the Vale help Littlefinger? Houses of Vale dont care about North so wont risk their soldiers for nothing. LF can't command them as he is on shaky ground himself and only Lord Protector. In books he counted on houses joining their Lords wife restore her lands. So Im interested how LF will get Vale soldiers.

1) The Vale Lords actually wanted to join the North much earlier, but were prevented by Lysa (unknown to them, she was ordered by LF to keep out).

2) Ned Stark was raised in the Vale, and the Vale likes the Starks and have a strong tradition of allying with the North since earlier.

3) Thinking Sansa is the last Stark alive and in danger, they will join LF to rush into Winterfell and help her (if he manages to explain properly how she came to be there).

The Boltons will then think LF is coming with the Vale soldiers to assist them, while he is simply coming to mop up whoever won the battle and take Sansa and Winterfell back.

EDIT: Or join Stannis against the Iron Throne... dunno

It's been made clear in the show that if Tommen but gives the word, the Faith Militant will be smashed. Twice, now, he's been reluctant to give that order and cause bloodshed, first in 5x04 on the steps of the Sept, and most recently in 5x06, where he stayed the Kingsguard soldiers who were about to draw their swords. However, if events take a turn, maybe Tommen gives the order he's been loath to give so far.

The grandmother from Highgarden is going to have a word with Tommen, and then he will change his mind about bloodshed.

1) The Vale Lords actually wanted to join the North much earlier, but were prevented by Lysa (unknown to them, she was ordered by LF to keep out).

2) Ned Stark was raised in the Vale, and the Vale likes the Starks and have a strong tradition of allying with the North since earlier.

3) Thinking Sansa is the last Stark alive and in danger, they will join LF to rush into Winterfell and help her (if he manages to explain properly how she came to be there).

The Boltons will then think LF is coming with the Vale soldiers to assist them, while he is simply coming to mop up whoever won the battle and take Sansa and Winterfell back.

Yeah, from what he know of the Lords of the Vale, they love the Starks, and also love the Baratheons (don't forget, Robert and Ned both grew up as wards of Jon Arryn), and they hate the Lannisters, who they believe murdered their lord. Going north to rescue Sansa, then allying with Stannis to march on King's Landing and finish Tommen and Cersei, seems completely within the realm of something they'd do. I just don't see Stannis accepting Littlefinger, though he'd gladly accept an alliance with the Vale.

For all that TV Littlefinger is supposedly idiotic, when I saw what he was doing with Cersei, I finally saw the brilliance in what he was doing. It's mad, reckless brilliance, but it's brilliance nonetheless. He is playing everyone off everyone else, providing their secrets to each other to prove himself a friend to all. Even with Stannis, he hopes to curry favour as the protector of Ned Stark's daughter. He said this season that he's a betting man, but what he's actually doing is hedging his bets so that no matter who wins, he'll be the trusted and proven friend of the victor.

I do expect him to take steps to undermine Cersei, though, since Cersei has it out for Sansa and therefore has to go. I imagine Olenna will be leaning pretty hard on Olyvar to recant his testimony or on Littlefinger to silence Olyvar. Littlefinger certainly has a strong incentive to ensure that the Tyrells are the winners in the Lannister/Tyrell struggle.

I have no doubt that TV Littlefinger's plans will fail, just as I expect Book Littlefinger's plans will fail, for much the same reasons as in the books:

1. He's counting on Sansa's continued loyalty.

2. Bran and Rickon are still alive.

3. He hasn't factored Dany and her dragons into the mix (that we know of).

This. Exactly. He is incredible reckless which is quite different than his book counterpart who tries (and succeeds) to stay very much in the shadows. Back in season 1, he made a similar smarmy "joke" to Cersei about the rumors of her twincest which resulted in that little "power is power" charade. But when he made a similar comment in this episode, you could see a look of surprise and a little irritation on Cersei's face - but she did nothing. She truly is losing/has lost her power even if she doesn't realize it. So Littlefinger can get away with being more mustache-twirly and reckless. You have to risk all to gain all. Even if he will only rule over the ashes as Varys said.

Also I would like to say that Littlefinger's plans are going to unravel very fast.

Namely in order for his plan to work(Robert being made a King), Stannis would have to weaken the Lannister-Tyrell armies, which I don't see happening, because I am certain that Stannis is going to die very soon.

Brienne is going to kill him.

Brienne's story can either be Sansa or Stannis.

I think that after the last episode, very little people still think that Brienne is going to "magically" break Sansa out of Winterfell, which only leaves the Stannis plot line.

Really likes this post, but I think this assumes the lord of the vale either approve of LF marrying Sansa to the Boltons or them not knowing about it. I can buy Cersei all the way down in KL long knowing, but I think the Vale would know. When Sansa revealed her identity to them they became protective of her, and my guess is that they would not like the idea of Sansa marrying a Bolton.

On the other hand, LF did get the written news that his wedding proposal had been approved, and that fat lord of the vale that was with him did not inquire what proposal that was, perhaps he already knew?

Just remember that Bronze Yohn is still not fond of Petyr and yet he has Robin Arryn - a decision made by Petyr.

Then pay close attention to the exchange with Cersei. It's leading question after leading question, counseling her to be patient. When is Cersei patient? She followed the scent of the cheese right to the trap.

I think that's actually part of the point. I doubt Qyburn has a spy network at all. He's a necromancer, not a spy, and part of Cersei's downfall is putting men like him on the small council. He could have easily experimented on Ser Gregor without needing to be named Master of Whisperers.

Qyburn is competant at his job in the books, there is nothing so far to suggest that he is incompetant in the show besides this scene. But even if they had ZERO agents working in the north, just the bounty on Sansa's head and the gossip that would follow from finding out Sansa, who killed the king (as the public story goes), is headed to Winterfell with Littlefinger would make it certainly more likely to reach Cersei's ears than not. Certainly more likely than Tyrion finding out about Commander Mormont as he is under trial for murdering Joffrey. Hell if nothing else Varys informers would make sure it reached Cersei to take down Littlefinger. Besides Cersei required ZERO proof that Sansa is actually at Winterfell before agreeing with this plan, making sacrificing her to justify going to war in the north even less necessary.

Just remember that Bronze Yohn is still not fond of Petyr and yet he has Robin Arryn - a decision made by Petyr.

Then pay close attention to the exchange with Cersei. It's leading question after leading question, counseling her to be patient. When is Cersei patient? She followed the scent of the cheese right to the trap.

Bronze Yohn is his best friend in the show now. Books aren't the show anymore.

Littlefinger's plan is quite obvious. He wants the North. He loves Sansa yes, but power comes first. He is wants to be the Lord Stark, in the same position of the man who took Cat from him. He gives Sansa to Ramsay knowing the horrors that will come. In comes the Vale Army led by Littlefinger to "save" Sansa. Littlefinger then will marry Sansa, rule the North, and soon the world. :)

Given the showrunners statement that Littlefinger is ignorant of Ramsay, I still am holding out the possibilty that the wedding was sped up by the Boltons without the knowledge of Littlefinger. I am curious as to what his reaction towards the Boltons will be and in particular, Ramsay if and when he finds out what exactly happened to Sansa last night. I understand he wants power but if he gives one shred of love, caring for Sansa, it will be interesting to see what he does.

The Faith Militant are going to in likelihood be completely destroyed in episode 8 under the orders of the King.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9Bo89m2f6g

In the trailer at 10 sec. you can see Tommen holding Marg which wouldn't be possible if the Faith Militant still had her.

Don't count your chickens...

Westeros is gearing up for a religious war. The High Sparrow is not going to disappear any time soon.

I suspect Tommen is going to end up seriously dead as a result of it.

Given the showrunners statement that Littlefinger is ignorant of Ramsay, I still am holding out the possibilty that the wedding was sped up by the Boltons without the knowledge of Littlefinger. I am curious as to what his reaction towards the Boltons will be and in particular, Ramsay if and when he finds out what exactly happened to Sansa last night. I understand he wants power but if he gives one shred of love, caring for Sansa, it will be interesting to see what he does.

Let's face it, if Littlefinger is to have an ounce of credibility as an intelligent schemer, he knew what would happen to Sansa.

Double Post

Archived