Illyrio's Fingers

It does very much seem that Dany and Aegon will be in conflict, and that Aegon is being set up as a false dragon. But the more convinced I am that he is a Blackfyre/Brightflame/Brightfyre/Blackflame/What-have-you, the more I wonder how that makes him false. Why is he being set up as a mummer's dragon if he truly has dragon blood?

Illyrio and I are going to be very disappointed when that perfectly nice kid gets eaten by Drogon. :-(

It does very much seem that Dany and Aegon will be in conflict, and that Aegon is being set up as a false dragon. But the more convinced I am that he is a Blackfyre/Brightflame/Brightfyre/Blackflame/What-have-you, the more I wonder how that makes him false. Why is he being set up as a mummer's dragon if he truly has dragon blood?

Illyrio and I are going to be very disappointed when that perfectly nice kid gets eaten by Drogon. :-(

Drogon will have to defeat Rhaegal to eat Aegon. Drogon will barbecue Stannis though.

LOL and love the multicolor signature link ;)

So I am thinking that Illyrio by saying savior is three-headed dragon refers to three dragons with three rider coming from Essos. That could mean he angles for Tyrion to be third rider. Daario is also interesting with his deep blue eyes and dyed hair and beard, he can come from some Targ off-shot, there are plenty of those Brightflames, female line of Blackfyres, and possible Bittersteel/Calla line. Also there is Brown Ben Plumm.

Brightfyre theory can be explanation why Illyrio doesn't care about red/black dragon, because he supports both. If he supports Blackfyres, only explanation for giving dragon eggs to Daenerys is that she is also Blackfyre planted to Viserys. That can also explain why he worked so hard to get Viserys to get himself killed.

I think he is pitched against Euron who also has wide network of pro-chaos factions.

He definitely works with Marwyn and Quaithe (LmL connected two of them, no need to repeat) because of Cinnamon Wind connection with Marwyn, Illyrio probably still uses the Dornish also. Quaithe worked as representative of Tourmaline Brotherhood in Red Wastes (Xaro - Thirteen, Pyat - Spicers (they want Daenerys dead)) because Quaithe and TB both want Daenerys to leave Qaarth immediately, it is too convenient for their interest to be parallel like this, and also she must represent them because Qaarth wouldn't send some random shadowbinder to represent them and TB wouldn't allow to remain unrepresented. TB also doesn't send ships to attack Daenerys in Meereen. If Illyrion works with TB, and Marwyn he works with Quaithe also.

Very interesting EQ, connecting Illyrio to the Tourmaline Brotherhood, I see your argument. I need to go read that Cinnamon Wind thread again, it was really good. I was focusing more on Quaithe's interactions with Dany and her general agenda, I did not really think about her bein connected or aligned with Illyrio.

I'm picturing a scene in the next book... Dany is floating unconscious on a sea of black glass... drifting... spinning and whirling as the stars whispered their secrets...

"Daenerys... remember what I have told you... the only good cheddar is white Skahazadan cheddar... Daenerys... the dragons remember, do you?"

"Illyrio?"

Then she saw - the stars were in the shape of a great wheel of cheese with a man's face. A fat man's face with crooked yellow teeth.

"Daenerys... remember the white cheddar... it's really good in Qarth..."

About that cleaver... perhaps Illyrio is already dead...

Illyrio was reclining on a padded couch, gobbling hot peppers and pearl onions from a wooden bowl. His brow was dotted with beads of sweat, his pig's eyes shining above his fat cheeks. Jewels danced when he moved his hands; onyx and opal, tiger's eye and tourmaline, ruby, amethyst, sapphire, emerald, jet and jade, a black diamond, and a green pearl. I could live for years on his rings, Tyrion mused, though I' d need a cleaver to claim them.

The corsairs had come aboard in the darkness before the dawn, as the Meadowlark was anchored off the coast of the Disputed Lands. The crew had beaten them off, at the cost of twelve lives. Afterward the sailors stripped the dead corsairs of boots and belts and weapons, divvied up their purses, and yanked gemstones from their ears and rings from their fingers. One of the corpses was so fat that the ships cook had to cut his fingers off with a meat cleaver to claim his rings. It took three Meadowlarks to roll the body into the sea. The other pirates were chucked in after him, without a word of prayer or ceremony.

Wow! I never noticed that. I wonder if Illyrio (if him) was with the cosairs to make sure that Aegon's marriage rival was dead.

On a different note, I wonder if Doran somehow knows of Aegon/Faegon. Perhaps sending Quentyn to Slaver's Bay was a move against Illyrio? Sending Quentyn to Slaver's Bay was a dangerous move, the kind of move that Doran is (in)famous for not taking.

This.

The statue of the young Illyrio reminds Tyrion of a young Aegon IV.

Illyrio mentions Blackfyres dying out only in the male line.

Illyrion corrects Tyrion on the cheeries being "Black Cherries".

I think Serra (and Varys) are Brightflame descendants and Illyrio is a Blackfyre descendant. The Brightfyre theory is quite compelling.

Where in the text does it state that the statue reminds Tyrion of Aegon IV? And the black cherries were simply a dish that Tyrion and Illyrio ate, no? I didn't think that the six cherries trees that Tyrion discovers were ever clarified as being red or black cherries.

This might fit with that...

Samwell IV, Feast

Prologue, Feast

I believe that Aegon is Aemons sphinx, a chimera just like the manticore noted with the griffin and the dragon. The classical Greek sphinx would not allow anyone to pass unless he could solve the riddle posed by the sphinx. But in this case the sphinx, Aegon, is the riddle, being a Blackfyre and perhaps a Brightflame (and maybe even a Bloodstar too). And if Daenerys doesnt guess the riddle Aegon will destroy her.

As Daenerys enters Qarth, she passes under an arch of green, black, and blue snakes...

Daenerys II, Clash

Notice that she observes fountains wrought in the shapes of griffins and dragons and manticores. The griffin and dragon allusions are easy, of course, Jon Connington and Aegon. But the manticore allusion is much more elusive. In case you dont know, the manticore is a chimera, a fantastical beast comprised of the body parts of more than one animal or other mythical beast. The manticore most commonly consisted of a human head, a lions body, a bats wings, and a scorpions tail, but there were other variations. In ASOIAF, the manticore was much smaller, with a malign, black face and an arched, venomous tail, with the ability to fold itself into a scarab. In the real world, the manticore and chimeras were depicted in the art of the Romanesque and Renaissance periods to symbolize fraud. So, we have Jon Connington, Aegon, and fraud.

And consider the manticore that attacked Daenerys, disguised as...

Daenerys V, Clash

Under the sea, the flames burn green and black and blue, don't they?

I'd like to throw out my "unicorn" comment here as well so that others can read it. http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/128994-tyrion-is-the-riddle-of-the-sphinx-the-stone-dragon/?p=7000872

On that thread, I also meant to bring up the topic of "red, green, and blue" symbolism in the series. (The search isn't working, so I can't research or reference other threads about the theme, so I'll make this brief.)

In short, I think the red, green, and blue symbolism also parallel the three dragons: Red/Daenerys/Drogon, Green/Aegon?/Rhaegal, Blue/Jon?/Viserion. The "green, black, and blue snakes" might also represent Aegon, Daenerys, and Jon in some fashion. Red and black are the Targaryen colors, so red or black being associated Daenerys would be appropriate. Another possibility is that the snakes represent Aegon and Jon, and the mating snakes foreshadow Aegon and Jon teaming up against Daenerys in the future. (Black represents opposition and/or usurping, doesn't it?)

Wow! I never noticed that. I wonder if Illyrio (if him) was with the cosairs to make sure that Aegon's marriage rival was dead.

On a different note, I wonder if Doran somehow knows of Aegon/Faegon. Perhaps sending Quentyn to Slaver's Bay was a move against Illyrio? Sending Quentyn to Slaver's Bay was a dangerous move, the kind of move that Doran is (in)famous for not taking.

Where in the text does it state that the statue reminds Tyrion of Aegon IV? And the black cherries were simply a dish that Tyrion and Illyrio ate, no? I didn't think that the six cherries trees that Tyrion discovers were ever clarified as being red or black cherries.

I'd like to throw out my "unicorn" comment here as well so that others can read it. http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/128994-tyrion-is-the-riddle-of-the-sphinx-the-stone-dragon/?p=7000872

On that thread, I also meant to bring up the topic of "red, green, and blue" symbolism in the series. (The search isn't working, so I can't research or reference other threads about the theme, so I'll make this brief.)

In short, I think the red, green, and blue symbolism also parallel the three dragons: Red/Daenerys/Drogon, Green/Aegon?/Rhaegal, Blue/Jon?/Viserion. The "green, black, and blue snakes" might also represent Aegon, Daenerys, and Jon in some fashion. Red and black are the Targaryen colors, so red or black being associated Daenerys would be appropriate. Another possibility is that the snakes represent Aegon and Jon, and the mating snakes foreshadow Aegon and Jon teaming up against Daenerys in the future. (Black represents opposition and/or usurping, doesn't it?)

On color combinations in ASOIAF...

There is an SSM somewhere indicating that we will see a second Dance of Dragons. Aegon was the leader of the greens in the first Dance of Dragons, so it stands to reason that our Aegon, assuming he will "dance" with Daenerys, can be associated with green.

And, well, um... the babe was the leader of the blacks, right? So it stands to reason that our babe, the hot chick on the black dragon, can be associated with black. If you search a bit, you'll find all kinds of green and black contrasts and combinations throughout ASOIAF. Perhaps it's nothingore yhan coincidence, but I highly doubt that. There was a reason for all those green and black color references. And with the publication of TP&TQ or the Blacks and the Greens, we finally found the Rosetta Stone.

Some of those green and black sets in the books include blue. Well, the astute reader has associated Jon with blue ever since he or she figured out R+L=J.

There are an awful lot of red and black combinations too. We've known about the red dragon versus black dragon for sometime. And as Kevin tells us we have no reason to question Daenerys's parentage. She is a true Targaryen, a red dragon. Do we have a black dragon? Well, I think it's Aegon. Can we get there by deductive reasoning? I don't think so. But given the way the plot sets up, should we ecpect it? I think we should. Yes there are reasons against it, but I don't agree with those. And Aegon fits the bill.

So, when we have red and black, Daenerys is red and Aegon is black. When we have black and green, Daenerys is black and Aegon is green. When we see blue in there, that's Jon, Aegon is green, and Daenerys is sometimes black and sometimes red.

Unfortunately, we don't have a blue dragon. (Where's Saphira when you need her?) But we do have a white one. That's Tyrion's. He'll either ride it himself or help Brown Ben to ride it.

This is a little off topic, but follows the theme of colors representing (political) sides. Drogon is red and black, Rhaegal is green and copper, and Viserion is gold and cream. There's a reoccurence of red, green, and gold in the Stark direwolves' eyes. Ghost's eyes are red, Shaggydog's eyes are green, and all other direwolves' eyes are gold. Could this represent a rift between the Starks in regards to which Targaryen they support? Shaggydog is black with green eyes; he might become a pawn (somehow) between Daenerys and Aegon. (Maybe? I'm not sure whether Jon or Aegon will get Rhaegal.) Shaggydog also has the complete opposite coloring of Ghost - black fur instead of white and green eyes instead of red. Nymeria and Summer have golden/yellow eyes, and Lady had golden eyes. Perhaps they'll side with the Targaryen who bonds with Viserion.

I don't see the remaining Starks fighting for political power but possibly being connected to political factions that are fighting with one another. Jon will ultimately support anyone who aids the North and the Wall. Sansa will wish her homeland/kingdom (The North, The Riverlands, and possibly the Vale) to be liberated from the Lannisters. Rickon... I'm not sure exactly what Rickon would want. Rickon being so young might explain why he'd end up being some sort of pawn between two other Targs. Whoever has the boy has the support of the Kingdom of the North. Aegon also has an advantage by show-casing Rickon. Like him, Rickon is an heir to a kingdom who was also thought to be dead. His direwolf will be key to proving his identity, just as Aegon's dragon will be key in proving his.

There is an SSM somewhere indicating that we will see a second Dance of Dragons. Aegon was the leader of the greens in the first Dance of Dragons, so it stands to reason that our Aegon, assuming he will "dance" with Daenerys, can be associated with green.

And, well, um... the babe was the leader of the blacks, right? So it stands to reason that our babe, the hot chick on the black dragon, can be associated with black. If you search a bit, you'll find all kinds of green and black contrasts and combinations throughout ASOIAF. Perhaps it's nothingore yhan coincidence, but I highly doubt that. There was a reason for all those green and black color references. And with the publication of TP&TQ or the Blacks and the Greens, we finally found the Rosetta Stone.

Some of those green and black sets in the books include blue. Well, the astute reader has associated Jon with blue ever since he or she figured out R+L=J.

There are an awful lot of red and black combinations too. We've known about the red dragon versus black dragon for sometime. And as Kevin tells us we have no reason to question Daenerys's parentage. She is a true Targaryen, a red dragon. Do we have a black dragon? Well, I think it's Aegon. Can we get there by deductive reasoning? I don't think so. But given the way the plot sets up, should we ecpect it? I think we should. Yes there are reasons against it, but I don't agree with those. And Aegon fits the bill.

So, when we have red and black, Daenerys is red and Aegon is black. When we have black and green, Daenerys is black and Aegon is green. When we see blue in there, that's Jon, Aegon is green, and Daenerys is sometimes black and sometimes red.

Unfortunately, we don't have a blue dragon. (Where's Saphira when you need her?) But we do have a white one. That's Tyrion's. He'll either ride it himself or help Brown Ben to ride it.

Au contraire... we gonna see that ice dragon son!

Interesting idea there, Isobel. I've noticed the eye color of the wolves in comparison to the dragons also, but haven't made anything sensible of it. You might be on to something. The exact opposite coloring of Ghost and Shaggydog is definitely interesting.

Aegon II also had a golden dragon, Sunfyre. In fact, his personal arms was the Targaryen sigil with a gold three-headed dragon in place of the red. I think Aegon and Daenerys will "dance" as well, but along with another dragon - the green and gold against the black.

And, well, um... the babe was the leader of the blacks, right? So it stands to reason that our babe, the hot chick on the black dragon, can be associated with black. If you search a bit, you'll find all kinds of green and black contrasts and combinations throughout ASOIAF.

Yeah, I've been trying, but the search is broken. :( But I haev read several threads concerning the symbolism of green and black, as well as blue in the past.

This is what I think the "mating snakes" in Vaes Dothrak that you referenced earlier might symbolize. Aegon, Daenerys, and Jon teaming up. (Either that or some reference to Aegon and Jon against Daenerys. :dunno: )

Interesting idea there, Isobel. I've noticed the eye color of the wolves in comparison to the dragons also, but haven't made anything sensible of it. You might be on to something. The exact opposite coloring of Ghost and Shaggydog is definitely interesting.

And their eye color is the same as the greenseer COTF, all COTF have golden eyes but greenseers have green or red.

So I am thinking that Illyrio by saying savior is three-headed dragon refers to three dragons with three rider coming from Essos. That could mean he angles for Tyrion to be third rider. Daario is also interesting with his deep blue eyes and dyed hair and beard, he can come from some Targ off-shot, there are plenty of those Brightflames, female line of Blackfyres, and possible Bittersteel/Calla line. Also there is Brown Ben Plumm.

Brightfyre theory can be explanation why Illyrio doesn't care about red/black dragon, because he supports both. If he supports Blackfyres, only explanation for giving dragon eggs to Daenerys is that she is also Blackfyre planted to Viserys. That can also explain why he worked so hard to get Viserys to get himself killed.

I think he is pitched against Euron who also has wide network of pro-chaos factions.

He definitely works with Marwyn and Quaithe (LmL connected two of them, no need to repeat) because of Cinnamon Wind connection with Marwyn, Illyrio probably still uses the Dornish also. Quaithe worked as representative of Tourmaline Brotherhood in Red Wastes (Xaro - Thirteen, Pyat - Spicers (they want Daenerys dead)) because Quaithe and TB both want Daenerys to leave Qaarth immediately, it is too convenient for their interest to be parallel like this, and also she must represent them because Qaarth wouldn't send some random shadowbinder to represent them and TB wouldn't allow to remain unrepresented. TB also doesn't send ships to attack Daenerys in Meereen. If Illyrion works with TB, and Marwyn he works with Quaithe also.

That could well be. If A+J=T, then the deed was done in KL and Varys likely knows about it and conveyed info to Illyrio. (Varys: Hey can my friend stay at your place? Illyrio: No Varys: He's secretly half-Targ! Illyrio: OMFG YES!!)

Daario as a secret Brightflame dragon rider would be HILARIOUS. There would be much fan-weeping and gnashing of teeth. It's also conceivable that Daario is an agent of Illyrio, what with their shared Tyroshi connection. Daario does super-want Dany to embrace her inner dragon.

Pyat represented the Warlocks. Spicers nor Tourmaline nor the...truebloods? Highborns? Whoever Dany had to petition later--were not rep'd. Qarth notably is not very cohesive so I don't think there was anyone to tell Quaithe she couldn't come unless she was an official rep. It was just whoever was interested. Tourmaline brotherhood didn't want her there so why send someone to go get her.

Very interesting EQ, connecting Illyrio to the Tourmaline Brotherhood, I see your argument. I need to go read that Cinnamon Wind thread again, it was really good. I was focusing more on Quaithe's interactions with Dany and her general agenda, I did not really think about her bein connected or aligned with Illyrio.

I'm picturing a scene in the next book... Dany is floating unconscious on a sea of black glass... drifting... spinning and whirling as the stars whispered their secrets...

"Daenerys... remember what I have told you... the only good cheddar is white Skahazadan cheddar... Daenerys... the dragons remember, do you?"

"Illyrio?"

Then she saw - the stars were in the shape of a great wheel of cheese with a man's face. A fat man's face with crooked yellow teeth.

"Daenerys... remember the white cheddar... it's really good in Qarth..."

Not convinced Cinnamon Wind means Illyrio is working with Marwen--yet, anyway.

LOL, "Dany can you bring me some of that Lazareen brie before all hell breaks loose in Slaver's Bay? You did steal three of my ships. :-( "

And then everyone in Westeros stopped their warring to argue over whether Viserion was white and gold or black and blue. :-P

Interesting point with the color connection. I don't like forcing things onto colors that they aren't, if that makes sense, and I think the red/green/blue symbolism is on a higher level than the literal colors of dragons---though very important in its own way.

I KNOW every time I see "black and green" in the text I'm like "what's this?!"

Blacks and greens. Princess and Queen. With Arianne's suspicious thoughts of Dany I do feel like there is foreshadowing for her to push Aegon and his future green dragon into conflict with Dany and her black dragon (and if Aegon marries her and conquers before Dany shows up, she would be doing this in capacity as a queen). Meanwhile Tyrion and his one green/one black eye will play both ends against the middle.

This is a little off topic, but follows the theme of colors representing (political) sides. Drogon is red and black, Rhaegal is green and copper, and Viserion is gold and cream. There's a reoccurence of red, green, and gold in the Stark direwolves' eyes. Ghost's eyes are red, Shaggydog's eyes are green, and all other direwolves' eyes are gold. Could this represent a rift between the Starks in regards to which Targaryen they support? Shaggydog is black with green eyes; he might become a pawn (somehow) between Daenerys and Aegon. (Maybe? I'm not sure whether Jon or Aegon will get Rhaegal.) Shaggydog also has the complete opposite coloring of Ghost - black fur instead of white and green eyes instead of red. Nymeria and Summer have golden/yellow eyes, and Lady had golden eyes. Perhaps they'll side with the Targaryen who bonds with Viserion.

I don't see the remaining Starks fighting for political power but possibly being connected to political factions that are fighting with one another. Jon will ultimately support anyone who aids the North and the Wall. Sansa will wish her homeland/kingdom (The North, The Riverlands, and possibly the Vale) to be liberated from the Lannisters. Rickon... I'm not sure exactly what Rickon would want. Rickon being so young might explain why he'd end up being some sort of pawn between two other Targs. Whoever has the boy has the support of the Kingdom of the North. Aegon also has an advantage by show-casing Rickon. Like him, Rickon is an heir to a kingdom who was also thought to be dead. His direwolf will be key to proving his identity, just as Aegon's dragon will be key in proving his.

Oh gods I hope not...wolf pack, re-assemble!

Pyat represented the Warlocks. Spicers nor Tourmaline nor the...truebloods? Highborns? Whoever Dany had to petition later--were not rep'd. Qarth notably is not very cohesive so I don't think there was anyone to tell Quaithe she couldn't come unless she was an official rep. It was just whoever was interested. Tourmaline brotherhood didn't want her there so why send someone to go get her.

Well Pyat is warlock, of course he represents them too, but Spicers are in warlock camp the whole time, they lose their mind when Daenerys kills warlocks, they want her dead, Spicers are not naive, they would also want representative but they are in league with warlocks so Pyat is sent, just like Quaithe is sent on behalf of the TB. TB like everybody else wanted to see if rumors are true and if they work with Illyrio they wanted her in Qaarth so she can leave with the ships Illyrio sent to get her. They are just sending her along, they don't hate her or want her dead, it is in their plan to send her west.

Purebloods don't do shit, it is referenced multiple times, they are ceremonial power not real one.

And then everyone in Westeros stopped their warring to argue over whether Viserion was white and gold or black and blue. :-P

Interesting point with the color connection. I don't like forcing things onto colors that they aren't, if that makes sense, and I think the red/green/blue symbolism is on a higher level than the literal colors of dragons---though very important in its own way.

I hope I'm not "forcing" the colors on them, but I agree that the color symbolism doesn't necessarily have to be the literal color of the dragons. The "black and green" could be the main contenders in the DoD 2.0 - regardless of which dragon they're bonded with - and Jon being the "blue" dragon. It feels appropriate to assign blue to him, as he's often associated with the image of the "blue rose."

Oh gods I hope not...wolf pack, re-assemble!

Although a significant conflict, I don't see the DoD 2.0 lasting a long amount of time. After all, there are only two books left. Ultimately the warring factions will have to cooperate together to handle the greater threat coming from the north. Hopefully this will also bring a reunion of the Starks in some sort of fashion.

Aegon II also had a golden dragon, Sunfyre. In fact, his personal arms was the Targaryen sigil with a gold three-headed dragon in place of the red. I think Aegon and Daenerys will "dance" as well, but along with another dragon - the green and gold against the black.

Yeah, I've been trying, but the search is broken. :( But I haev read several threads concerning the symbolism of green and black, as well as blue in the past.

This is what I think the "mating snakes" in Vaes Dothrak that you referenced earlier might symbolize. Aegon, Daenerys, and Jon teaming up. (Either that or some reference to Aegon and Jon against Daenerys. :dunno: )

The special snowflake is not going to mate with Aegon and Daenerys. Those two will duke it out down south with Tyrion and/or Brown Ben flipping sides, Drogon barbecuing Stannis, and Aegon pushing Euron out while Aeron pulls. They're all going to die except for the special snowflake and Drogon... and maybe Satin.

I meant search the books. There are lots of little odd bits like a ship carrying cinnamon and pepper.

I agree that the green and gold (white) will fight the black. Tyrion and/or Brown Ben will be Daenerys's treason for gold.

I'm thinking the two passages foreshadow his fate. I suspect that Illyrio will betray Daenerys for blood.

I.E. fAegan is his son with his blackfyre wife. Some how fAegan and Dany have a falling out and Illyrio backs his son who isn't the real Aegan.

Archived