[Book Spoilers] EP506 Discussion v. 2

They were training her to be able to lie perfectly. Jaqen realized she was ready when she lied so perfectly to the dying girl. She is now ready to be a Faceless Man. She will give up her face and acquire one of those in the face gallery as a disguise like Jaqen does, At least this is how I interpreted the scene.

You gotta admit, when you play the game of thrones, lying perfectly and being able to tell when others are lying is practically a superpower. Also hints at the end that Arya will be learning impersonation and disguise. Future Mistress of Whisperers, maybe?

Stuff I liked:

All Tyrion-Jorah scenes. I half expected Tyrion to tell the slavers that the song 'Bear and the Maiden Fair' was actually written about Jorah.

We got the Dornishman's Wife! I love that song. With Bronn singing it saying 'the best part is yet to come' looks like foreshadowing to me. The song ends like

"Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman's taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I've tasted the Dornishman's wife!

Stuff I hated:

Loras's trial. 9-year old book!Tommen would have protested. They massacred his character.

Olenna-Cersei interaction. Too cheap from Cersei.

Sand snakes' acting. Terrible.

Edited by Hos the Hostage

You gotta admit, when you play the game of thrones, lying perfectly and being able to tell when others are lying is practically a superpower. Also hints at the end that Arya will be learning impersonation and disguise. Future Mistress of Whisperers, maybe?

Could be. Anything is possible on this show. I expect her to being using her skills on Meryn Trant pretty soon.

She was only hit when she told a lie. As I understood it, the aim was teaching her how to lie undetectably. The easiest way to start is by learning how to seed lies in with the truth.

And the face gallery - again, Jaqen seemed to think that taking the girl's life was some sort of rite of passage for Arya. Not sure the exact logic behind that.

Arys did not simply tell a lie, you have to read book to know what are these water about and what is the purpose of the faceless men and their religion, the TV show does a terrible job on this

Aryas arc confused me.

I didnt understand shit. Can anyone enlighten me?

When did she lose the game before?

Why all the beating even when she was saying the truth?

Why suddennly she is shown rubber mask gallery?

Why cant they drink from well themselves? Clearly Arya has no magic..

The words spoken were 'You lie!'

They are ambiguous. Arya was reading them as 'you are lying' but they can also be read as 'you must lie'.

The reveal is given by the other girl when she demonstrates and then says at the end 'or am I lying'.

This form of training is actually what the inductees of many Buddhist schools would go through only the would be told to meditate on a koan that has no solution like 'what is the sound of one hand clapping' and be told to go away and think repeatedly till they get themselves worked up into a trance state.

Arya then applies the game of faces when the dying boy comes. Notice 'we are playing the game all the time'. This gets her to the next stage in the training. Killing Trant will get her to the next and so on.

Arya does not want to become an FM, she just wants the knowledge. The FMs want a recruit or at least a tool they can use if it suits them.

A few comments:

7. This is an unpopular position, but I actually like the Missandei/Grey Worm romance so far. Humanizes them both a bit.

Why do they need to be humanized? It's true...we don't know the end game for both characters...but we can fairly assume they're not going to be major players in the end game. Why humanize them at the expense of other stories.

We could have had some un-named extras riding into Winterfell as Northern lords or just about any other small..inexpensive plot additions to existing story lines. It's a waste of peoples time.

Unless I'm losing my mind and eyesight, the body Arya is cleaning at the beginning of the episode, at the middle of the cleaning it is a somewhat young guy with brown hair, then after she cleans his hair he becomes an old guy with white/grey hair. Arya doesn't even blink at this. Was it the body of a Faceless Man? It was a very random and confusing scene to me.

Unless I'm losing my mind and eyesight, the body Arya is cleaning at the beginning of the episode, at the middle of the cleaning it is a somewhat young guy with brown hair, then after she cleans his hair he becomes an old guy with white/grey hair. Arya doesn't even blink at this. Was it the body of a Faceless Man? It was a very random and confusing scene to me.

I think it was a montage of her cleaning several cadavers.

Aryas arc confused me.

I didnt understand shit. Can anyone enlighten me?

When did she lose the game before?

Why all the beating even when she was saying the truth?

Why suddennly she is shown rubber mask gallery?

Why cant they drink from well themselves? Clearly Arya has no magic..

Jaquen/The Kindly Man deemed Arya ready after she gave death to the girl as a gift. A gift to both her and her father, given with compassion.

I'm also in the camp that does not understand why the Sansa WF scene is being perceived as illogical. Horrific? yes, illogical, hardly. It's perfectly logical given what a psychopath Ramsay is, and it moves multiple plots, Reek's redemption, Sansa's ultimate revenge on the Boltons will be even sweeter, andmost important of all is another example of what LF said many seasons ago. Some people ( in this case the so-called Darth Sansa) think they are players in the game of thrones, but they are jus pawns to the real players (LF).

Also given Sophie's previous comments on a scene worse than TRW and Jeyne's rape, when we found out that Sansa was going to marry Ramsay I was expeting a rape scene of similar proportions to the one in a clockwork orange or something. Could things get wrose for Sansa before they get any better?

With the exception of the cheese that is Dorne, I enjoyed the episode. I'm really liking Arya's storyline and I wonder if they're going to do Cat of the Canals or she just goes straight into FM territory.

Its nice to see more from KL but the idea of the Queen being arrested for lying is silly. I dont like Loras being reduced to the character he is, but I do like the two of them being in danger.

I honestly dont mind Sansa's place now. While the idea of her being brutalized on her wedding night by Ramsay with Theon watching is painful to watch, she knows what's she's doing. She got Myranda to let out the secrets of Ramsay, which Sansa can use to her advantage against Myranda herself. I feel like the way she spoke of Tyrion to Ramsay was her way of saying "I know YOU won't be this way". She didn't put up a fight about Theon watching and pretty much laid there and took it, because giving any kind of fight would've most likely made it worse. This ultimately became about Sansa making a choice. She has made this choice to be married to Ramsay and be in this family, and its no doubt her way of taking charge of her destiny. She will let them see her as useless other than a name and a broodmare while she does what she needs to do to survive. All the times shes allowed herself to hang onto to the dream of a sweet Lord to be kind and take care of her has ended in brutality or disappointment, and this is no different.

I still don't know how that Sansa scene was illogical. It seems extremely logical and not-absurd to me that a mad individual like Ramsay would want to rape someone. He's done worse.

It was basically inevitable once that revealed Sansa would be marrying Ramsay. He was going to consummate the marriage. The only alternative would be Sansa consenting to sex with Ramsay. THAT would be illogical.

Those claiming that Sansa was raped have not provided any rationale for it, other than expressing a sense of outrage or offensiveness. A harrumph isn't a reasoned argument.

(Btw, those arguing it wasn't rape have, several times, patiently argued why it wasn't. Those arguments have been met with more harrumphs.)

Moreover: Sophie Turner was fine with portraying the scene. If the scene was as "offensive" as claimed then Turner herself would have objected. Unless the claim is that Turner is a fool, is delusional, or is some sort of rape-apologist.

And if you're making *that* argument, then there isn't any reasoning with you at all.

It was a montage. Note the parallel though between her washing long hair and Sansa's bath - same actions on the hair, same kind of dripping into the same kind of bucket.

There being a subtle parallel between what is happening with each sister gives it some sense, thank you!

Those claiming that Sansa was raped have not provided any rationale for it, other than expressing a sense of outrage or offensiveness. A harrumph isn't a reasoned argument.

(Btw, those arguing it wasn't rape have, several times, patiently argued why it wasn't. Those arguments have been met with more harrumphs.)

Moreover: Sophie Turner was fine with portraying the scene. If the scene was as "offensive" as claimed then Turner herself would have objected. Unless the claim is that Turner is a fool, is delusional, or is some sort of rape-apologist.

And if you're making *that* argument, then there isn't any reasoning with you at all.

Didn't Sophie say that she found the scene very difficult to do? Iwan did, at least. How does doing a rape scene make you a rape apologist..? I think I missed something here.

Either way it seems pretty damn obvious this was rape. Just because she wasn't dragged into that room by her hair doesn't mean she consented to it. What even is the point of arguing about whether this was rape or not, when it so clearly is and denying it only makes you look like a douche.

At the final scene of the Episode, it appears that Sansa is Bowed, Bent, Broken. But the title of the Episode is Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken. Was Sansa showing false suffering at the scene? Because she must have understood that her suffering is what Ramsay the Psycho wants from Myranda's words and since she now knows what Ramsay wants, she will find a way to move him (like manipulating him into killing Walda, maybe even Roose too) and she might be still Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken in the inside.

Edited by Mithras