[Book Spoilers] EP506 Discussion v. 2

I haven't seen any indication that trials by combat are banned by the faith in the show, they certainly are not in the books...

What occurred during the episode was not a trial, but more like the Faith's equivalent of a grand jury, where they determine there was probable cause that a crime was committed. A trial comes after, and perhaps Loras will demand a trial by combat.

What occurred during the episode was not a trial, but more like the Faith's equivalent of a grand jury, where they determine there was probable cause that a crime was committed. A trial comes after, and perhaps Loras will demand a trial by combat.

Yeah, I neglected to say that.

Loras surely knows his best chance is by far a trial by combat, the question is who will the faith chose? Same question but for Cersei's trial?

Aryas arc confused me.

I didnt understand shit. Can anyone enlighten me?

When did she lose the game before?

Why all the beating even when she was saying the truth?

Why suddennly she is shown rubber mask gallery?

Why cant they drink from well themselves? Clearly Arya has no magic..

She didn't tell the truth.

My father died in battle. Lie/beheaded

I stabbed the boy in the back/stomach

I hated the hound I wanted him to suffer.lie. Maybe they will bring him back. I think he also hit her because she was a bad liar. When he sees her lie to the little convincing her to drink the poison, he sees she is a good liar.

I watched the episode and I got to say, I actually loved this episode. Arya was pretty good. I like how they did the KL trials. At least that shit about the birth mark payed off. Dorne, it was meh but I'm quite worried for Bronn when he got wounded (I wonder if he got poisoned, Oberyn style). Sansa is still the victim but she is learning to take less shit. Now we get to the rape, for a second I wondered if Ramsay would have a bait and switch and it turns out he is the no.1 husband. At least we didn't actually see the rape. I feel that Ramsay's cock may not live for long.

In the inquest scene, do you think Olyvar was acting on orders from LF? Notice that he tells the "truth", but omits any details about how he first met Loras (working for LF). The idea would be that this would create further chaos by openly pitting the Tyrell's against Cersei and the faith militant, creating opportunities for him.

Olyvar talked to get a lighter sentence. I think someone who used to work for Littlefinger wouldn't dare dime him out, especially after what happened to Ros, especially now that LF's back in the city doing things. For all Olyvar knows, LF might have him shipped to Ramsay if he badmouths his former boss. Or he just wasn't thinking about that while getting interrogated.

I watched the episode and I got to say, I actually loved this episode. Arya was pretty good. I like how they did the KL trials. At least that shit about the birth mark payed off. Dorne, it was meh but I'm quite worried for Bronn when he got wounded (I wonder if he got poisoned, Oberyn style). Sansa is still the victim but she is learning to take less shit. Now we get to the rape, for a second I wondered if Ramsay would have a bait and switch and it turns out he is the no.1 husband. At least we didn't actually see the rape. I feel that Ramsay's cock may not live for long.

You have a very weird definition of "paying off":Oliver's his squire. He'd have seen Loras naked plenty of times in non-sexual circumstances.

Olyvar talked to get a lighter sentence. I think someone who used to work for Littlefinger wouldn't dare dime him out, especially after what happened to Ros, especially now that LF's back in the city doing things. For all Olyvar knows, LF might have him shipped to Ramsay if he badmouths his former boss. Or he just wasn't thinking about that while getting interrogated.

First I was going to say that I dont think you can negotiate a lighter sentence with the faith. But then I agreed with the rest of your post, he might more afraid of LF than the septon.

Sansa's gonna light a candle in the ruined tower, and some Northern ninjas are going to rip Ramsay's cock off in the night. All those assassinations in Winterfell from the books are going to turn into that. Roose and co. ought to avoid eating sausages for a while. There will be worse things than Frey pies lurking in the kitchens.

First I was going to say that I dont think you can negotiate a lighter sentence with the faith. But then I agreed with the rest of your post, he might more afraid of LF than the septon.

Perhaps seeming repentant gets you a lighter sentence? Not that Olyvar did but whatever at this point.

You have a very weird definition of "paying off":Oliver's his squire. He'd have seen Loras naked plenty of times in non-sexual circumstances.

Kinda doubt it. Armor is hard to put on and take off, thereby necessitating a squire. Clothes are not. How many times do you think Pod and Tyrion gazed at each other's inner thighs?

In the Hall of Faces, I was thinking (or maybe more so, 'hoping') that the face Arya zeroed in on, instead of the old womans, would have been Syrio's...

(back to lurker status :cool4: )

Or her mom's, or her brother's, or her father's. How messed up would that have been?

Sansa's gonna light a candle in the ruined tower, and some Northern ninjas are going to rip Ramsay's cock off in the night. All those assassinations in Winterfell from the books are going to turn into that. Roose and co. ought to avoid eating sausages for a while. There will be worse things than Frey pies lurking in the kitchens.

This is hilarious. Well done!

Oh that fucking birthmark. I can't even... What a stupid plot device. Jeez. And I have to say that whole plot doesn't really sit right with me but I kind of didn't really get it in the books either. The amount of power the High Sparrow has, I don't know, I just really don't get it. How is he that legitimized and shouldn't the Gold Cloaks protect the Queen as well? How can a fucking queen be that easily inprisoned? Same later on with Cersei. I felt like it wasn't explained properly in the books and I still feel that way after watching the episode.

But nothing is as fucking awful as the Dorne plot. The way Jaime/Bronn and the Sandsnakes just walked into the Water Gardens, while neither the prince nor his bride to be are protected in any way. Couldn't just any random peasant walk inside and stab them both to death? And of course, what a coincidence, both parties come in to kidnap Marcella at the same exact time, like it's a fucking Coen Brothers movie. Ah goddamnit, that whole scene just pissed me off. That plot didn't make any sense to begin with, but it get's worse and worse each episode.

The Tyrion-stuff I like so far. That scene with Eco was pretty funny and so far they have tightened up the whole plot pretty cleverly. I'm not too big a fan of the way they whitewashed Tyrion, but it still all works reasonably well.

Man, that Sansa part, though. That really got to me. I couldn't believe they actually went there. But so far I can't really find anything wrong with it. My gut tells me to hate it, but I'm pretty sure that's just the book reader in me, trying to reject that huge of a departure. But honestly, so far every book reader argument against the scene just sounds like a way to rationalize that same gut reaction. I get it, I hated it too, but there's no rational reason why it couldn't work for the show. Honestly, we just have to wait and see, where D&D are going with it. I really think it's to early to make a judgement.

Edited by ilikemyself

"I think Loras will absolutely demand a trial by combat. Unless Brienne is coming back to King's Landing, the Faith doesn't have a champion that can defeat him. He might even just double as Margaery's champion as well."

Well this depends really. D&D seem to be setting up the Faith as a bit less nuanced than they are in the books. If that is the case and they end up as stooges for Cersei then Qwyborg could get called up to represent the seven. Otherwise we could have a brutal fight between Loras and Lancel. If Lancel's massive pythons are any indication, the seven have a hell of a gym back at the Sept.

Edited by Jon Flow

Oh that fucking birthmark. I can't even... What a stupid plot device. Jeez. And I have to say that whole plot doesn't really sit right with me but I kind of didn't really get it in the books either. The amount of power the High Sparrow has, I don't know, I just really don't get it. How is he that legitimized and shouldn't the Gold Cloaks protect the Queen as well? How can a fucking queen be that easily inprisoned? Same later on with Cersei. I felt like it wasn't explained properly in the books and I still feel that way after watching the episode.

But nothing is as fucking awful as the Dorne plot. The way Jaime/Bronn and the Sandsnakes just walked into the Water Gardens, while neither the prince nor his bride to be are protected in any way. Couldn't just any random peasant walk inside and stab them both to death? And of course, what a coincidence, both parties come in to kidnap Marcella at the same exact time, like it's a fucking Coen Brothers movie. Ah goddamnit, that whole scene just pissed me off. That plot didn't make any sense to begin with, but it get's worse and worse each episode.

The Tyrion-stuff I like so far. That scene with Eco was pretty funny and so far they have tightened up the whole plot pretty cleverly. I'm not too big a fan of the way they whitewashed Tyrion, but it still all works reasonably well.

Man, that Sansa part, though. That really got to me. I couldn't believe they actually went there. But so far I can't really find anything wrong with it. My gut tells me to hate it, but I'm pretty sure that's just the book reader in me, trying to reject that huge of a departure. But honestly, so far every book reader argument against the scene just sounds like a way to rationalize that same gut reaction. I get it, I hated it too, but there's no rational reason why it couldn't work for the show. Honestly, we just have to wait and see, where D&D are going with it. I really think it's to early to make a judgement.

Yeah, I think you just kind of have to take the book's and show's word that the High Sparrow is really powerful because he has a shitload of people supporting him. It doesn't really make too much sense when you think about it, beyond "Well, there are a shitload of poor sparrows in KL supporting him, and because Crazy Cersei has armed them all, they have all the power."

I agree on Tyrion. I think D & D have done their best work in Essos in terms of simplifying and consolidating, between Dany, Tyrion, and Arya. I just wish that same amount of attention was paid to the North and especially to Dorne, which has to be a freaking joke at this point.